DATE FIRM, May 22nd . . . 2010 Spring Cast Bullet Workshop - Shirley Rod and Gun Club

Duke, Marcus5Aurelius has graciously agreed to come and help.... To be honest he is a much better caster than I am so think he should be a welcome addition to the instructor/coach group.....

Would suggest for the casting portion that we break it up since we will have at least 3 casting pots with Mark running one, me running one and you running one....

Yea I have no problem running/supervising one of the setups, should be fun [wink]

Perfect (again!)

Duke, Marcus5Aurelius has graciously agreed to come and help.... To be honest he is a much better caster than I am so think he should be a welcome addition to the instructor/coach group.....

Would suggest for the casting portion that we break it up since we will have at least 3 casting pots with Mark running one, me running one and you running one.... Probably also makes sense for your pot to be running your moulds (assume 9mm and 40 Cal) with your normal alloy, one of my pots set to hard cast water drop (S&W500/30 Cal = 21 BHN or so) and the other pot set up to cast 45ACP/44Mag/357/38 with a softer alloy (50/50 Range Lead/WW water drop = 14 BHN or so)... Depending on loading and what everyone wants to cast + how hot they want to load I think we can option the Mag rounds to the HC pot as necessary....

For lubing/sizing I don't have any dies for 9mm/40 cal so might be best if you could cover those and I'll take care of the calibers I normally work with.....

Think this will give the most chance for lots of hands on/good instructor/coach coverage, particularly if we have a good turn out.... Does this work for you?

Like Bob said, try some of the smaller mom and pop type places. The small out of the way, repair garages that do tires. When I walk in, I always smile, and offer to BUY their wheel weights. I never ask for free wheel weights any more. By offering to buy, you set them at ease. I usually throw a price per bucket at them, and $10-15 isn't too low, but usually end up with paying about $20 a bucket. You need to be flexable. Then, I bring out my 6 gallon buckets (they were expecting small ones). . . I usually score 250 pounds per bucket, which is about all this old guy can lift these days. Lead, in the London Metals Market is about 13 cents a pound right now. So, when you factor in the steel clips, tire stems, etc.... be friendly, and even offer to bring donuts or lunch on your next trip. That will usually open the door to future opportunity.

The local place I get most of mine is the same place where I get my tires when I need them. I have been smoozing the owner for years, starting with small amounts that he gave me for free. Like small boxes. I moved up to bigger quantities, usually for $5. My previous time there was six months ago, and I got a six gallon bucket for $20. Last week, I scored his WHOLE BARREL out back for $100! Some 2,000 pounds of wheel weights. Pay Day!

If you set up a string of small garages, and get 50 pounds (which is a mere drop in the bucket, as they say) from each.... ten of those is 500 pounds in a lead run! Do that every month, and you never run out of lead.

Maine joined the get the lead out of the environment (Thanks, California!) movement two years ago, so lead wheel weights are slowly going away, and only exist on older cars where they get new tires.

I can't believe how many places I've been to that already have someone buying from them. I'll be out checking a few leads myself this weekend. I never thought putting my hands on lead would be so hard after reading about how others were doing it on Cast Boolits and GlockPost.

I'm IN.

My 20lb contribution will be in raw WW.

I can bring a Lee Slug Mold for 1oz 12ga slugs if anyone is interested in that?

I can also volunteer food...if the Shirley range has an oven in their kitchen I can bring 2 trays of homemade chicken parm and rolls?

I'm IN.

My 20lb contribution will be in raw WW.

I can bring a Lee Slug Mold for 1oz 12ga slugs if anyone is interested in that?

I can also volunteer food...if the Shirley range has an oven in their kitchen I can bring 2 trays of homemade chicken parm and rolls?

If you get turned down, bring it anyways and I would love to take it off your hands and let you know just how great it is!! [smile]

Duke: i can probably get a "few" pounds of raw range scrap for ya [laugh2]

dont know how it's gonna get there. May 22nd is the first League Match @ Reading, and i wanna try to shoot all 7 this year.

I think I have a source for weights. Have to call back tomorrow.

Unrelated source - I have a couple of dead car batteries kicking around. One split open long ago, the others probably still have acid in them. How bad an idea is that?

I think I have a source for weights. Have to call back tomorrow.

Unrelated source - I have a couple of dead car batteries kicking around. One split open long ago, the others probably still have acid in them. How bad an idea is that?

Don't do it. Everything I have ever seen posted says this is a bad thing to do, except for the terminal posts. No personal experience, but I don't need lead that bad to take the risk associated with using it. Plus it seems like a lot of work for not too much return.

Is this correct? I'm not familiar with pricing scrap metal. The site http://www.lme.com/lead.asp seems to say lead is $2,238/ton or very roughly $1/lbs. http://www.metalprices.com/FreeSite/metals/pb/pb.asp has it at $1.03/lbs if I'm reading THAT right.

I imagine that is for lead ingots, not scrap wheel weights...

My understanding is that this is the spot price for pure lead..... When I smelt WW I usually end up losing approximately 25% of the weight due to the steel clips as well as WW which are not lead (Zn, Al etc). Consider scrap yard prices are a better indicator for the types of lead we are typically working with (scrap).... Most that I have checked with seem to be buying scrap lead up to around $.20/lb and selling $.50 to $.80/lb..... As long as you can reasonably beat the scrap yard prices ($.20/lb or so) you should be ok with most sources since the scrap yards will be your biggest competitor....

.... Which is why I normally don't even discuss weight, per se. It's so much per five gallon bucket, in my usual case, I offer $20. Works out about right.

Not sure where I posted it, but it;s good to develop a relationship with the shops. Kind of like the guys who go around picking up the deep fry oil for making bio-diesel. Start off small with the request, a small box of wheel weights. They might even give you that free. Hit several places with that request, and you would be surprised how fast you have a hundred pounds of wheel weights. Next time, increase the requested amount, and make the same rounds. Stop in every week, and make your face known. Offers of coffees, donuts, and occasionally sandwiches for the crew, helps cement a relationship, and often get you free wheel weights.

Some guys keep samples of their bullets in a pocket, and when they ask you what you are using the lead for, pull out the bullets. Most shops would rather see bullets than have you tell them fishing weights. Not sure why that works so well, but since I have started my swaging process, I'm bringing samples of those around also. I'm getting lots of ooohs and ahhhs from the wrench monkeys, who seem to all appreciate the skill of precision casting.

Some of my sources won't even sell/give any weights to anyone else, holding onto them for me, That Bullet Guy... hahaha sweet!

Count me in. It is nice to learn new tricks without the trial and error part.

John, I doubt we would be able to show you much given how much casting experience you already have.... If it's ok with Duke would love to have you share some of your experience.....

I'd love to have as many experienced hands on board as possible. However, I don't want to start adding co-hosts to the mix.
John we have LOTS of new tricks to show all!

John, I doubt we would be able to show you much given how much casting experience you already have.... If it's ok with Duke would love to have you share some of your experience.....

I want to watch the proceedings and have a bite to eat perhaps. My experience is beginner compared to 90% of those here that cast their own. Besides, I have stage fright and don't want to picture you people naked.

One has to learn something daily or life is ho- hum.

Well, your 20# of lead is still your admission, even if you only stand in the background visualizing EC naked..... eeeuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwww

I want to watch the proceedings and have a bite to eat perhaps. My experience is beginner compared to 90% of those here that cast their own. Besides, I have stage fright and don't want to picture you people naked.

One has to learn something daily or life is ho- hum.

Back
Top Bottom