Danvers Walmart - A not so funny, funny when buying ammo

Disclaimer: i expect a certain level of unsatisfactory customer service when shopping at walmart. I expect long waits. But what you are about to read shocked me.

So tonight I'm in the Danvers walmart with my girlfriend, doing our regular shopping of cat food, soap, and other household crap and of course Sporting Goods to check the ammo. I get to the sporting goods area to find the lone box .380 on the shelf. Of to find the SG associate and expect my long wait. Found one immediately and we head back to the ammo cabinet.

Her exact words:

"Before I can open the cabinet I need to see your FID"

No problem, that's standard there. but the next words after I handed her my Class A were what blew me away:

"We can't accept this as an only form of ID anymore, I need to see your drivers license as well since an incident happened here 2 weeks ago and we got in trouble"

I declined and said that the Class A was a valid ID in Massachusetts and that's all that's required to purchase ammo. She refused to open the case and rather than cause a scene with my girlfriend I coughed up my driver's license.

After heading out my car, I told my girlfriend I couldn't let it slide and had to talk to the manager. I left her in the car, went back inside and asked for the assistant manager. Both on duty came over, I told them what happened and they said that the only thing they should ask for is my FID/ClassA and that no incident happened. A driver's license too is not their new policy nor will it ever be. I told them they need to go over with their associates the policies and can't make them up as they go as this one did. They agreed and went off to talk to her. Whether they did or didn't, I didn't stay to watch but I felt better after.

Did "management" actually speak to her about her reasoning behind asking for your drivers license? I would be curious why she wanted to see it.

Did "management" actually speak to her about her reasoning behind asking for your drivers license? I would be curious why she wanted to see it.

I didn't stick around to watch them "educate" her. Nor do I think they would have let me. I simply said if it happens again I'll write a letter to corporate.

I have not bought ammo from the Danvers Walmart in a long time but it was always a mess. Walking around trying to find someone to open the case, long waits, didn't know what they were doing. I have bought most of my ammo up in Seabrook before/after a trip to Bob's

Did the associate ask for phone no. also? She probably want to ask for a date. [wink]

BTW, I never have problem in Danver wally world. [smile]

"We can't accept this as an only form of ID anymore, I need to see your drivers license as well since an incident happened here 2 weeks ago and we got in trouble"

im just curious as to what this "incident" was......

minimal wages, lack of training, crazy hours,poor health benefits and constantly being belittled by "management" i think we should take it Little easier on these people and just be happy they are trying to make a wage for themselves just my $.02

minimal wages, lack of training, crazy hours,poor health benefits and constantly being belittled by "management" i think we should take it Little easier on these people and just be happy they are trying to make a wage for themselves just my $.02

True, retail associated don't make that much money most of the time if your just a regular associate. We can't expect much. We may knock Walmart but the truth is they have the cheapest ammo around.

I was asked for my drivers license in addition to my LTC a few weeks ago at the Walmart in Northborough. The clerk was a real bitch about it, too. I think she said "there is NO WAY you're 21 - I need your drivers license!" Real snarky, condescending tone. For the record, I am 36.

I think she said "there is NO WAY you're 21 - I need your drivers license!" Real snarky, condescending tone. For the record, I am 36.

She is either ignorant, or you wont the lottery on age looks. Looking young can prevent you from being taken seriously when you are young, but it is convenient when you get older. I remember a lunch at work when they were trying to guess who the old man of the group was. They finally figured out who, and picked someone 3 years younger than myself. I let him win :).

I think the unwarrented stigma associated with guns & ammo in this area makes some undereducated, poorly trained retail workers feel like they are doing something wrong when they sell ammo. Fear of breaking the law without realizing it is probably the motivator behind a lot of these experiences.

Did the associate ask for phone no. also? She probably want to ask for a date. [wink]

No way.

im just curious as to what this "incident" was......

The assistant managers confirmed there was no "incident". She made it up. Either that or they were covering for something bigger.

I do my best, but asking for my driver's license because my Class A wasn't enough was a strange one to let slide.

Was she hot?

Hell no.

She is either ignorant, or you wont the lottery on age looks. Looking young can prevent you from being taken seriously when you are young, but it is convenient when you get older. I remember a lunch at work when they were trying to guess who the old man of the group was. They finally figured out who, and picked someone 3 years younger than myself. I let him win :).

I do look young, but I definitely don't look 21. That being said, I am certainly learning to appreciate my youthful looks, particularly as I am starting to feel old.

Ive been asked for ID and LTC a couple times when buying at Walmart. I wasnt too upset that I was asked for it in addition to my LTC, and really didnt think twice about it.

The assistant managers confirmed there was no "incident". She made it up. Either that or they were covering for something bigger.

that wouldnt be the first time ive heard of walmart employees making up rules regarding guns and ammo......heck, i remember reading one thread where someone was denied being sold ammo because they supposedly couldnt sell ammo after 10pm.....

I also have not had and issue there but the wait to find keys is silly.. I stopped and now go to four seasons i rather have real people who know what they are talking about.

I stopped buying at the Danvers walmart.
Usually ended up bothering the photo people for help.
Never asked for anything other than my LTC at checkout.

The guy who usually works in Seabrook is actually helpfull.
Worth the extra miles.

I have been to the Danvers walmart too. I haven't had any trouble actually buying the ammo, but the ammo cabinet in general is pretty poorly stocked. Also, at least when I went, the 9mm prices were not that much cheaper than Four Seasons or Collectors (my usual ammo places) to warrant driving the extra distance to Danvers.

I do look young, but I definitely don't look 21. That being said, I am certainly learning to appreciate my youthful looks, particularly as I am starting to feel old.

I've got the opposite problem. I'm only 23 and they don't even card me at the ABC store anymore. I guess being prematurely gray is good for something.

every walmart sucks

I got into a shouting match with the SG at one here in western ma.

Me: did the store renew the permit to sell ammo "insert him speaking over me"
Him: no all you need is a permit
Me: I know the last time i was in i was refused ammo because the store didnt renew the permit yet
him: all you need is a permit
Me: are you retarded? im know i need a permit to buy, but as i say again i was refused ammo cause the store didnt renew
Him: all you need is a permit to buy here
Me: are you a Fin idiot, dont answer i know you work at walmart. im going to speak very clearly and slowely for you. did the STORE RENEW ITS PERMIT, im not coming all the way there for nothing.
Him: I don't know
Me: CLICK

I was with my cousin and we stopped into a Walmart in NH for some .44 Magnums.
The clerk asked me if I was under a restraining order ????
I said "why would you ask me that?"
"Oh, company policy, I can't sell you ammo if you answer yes"

[sad2]

Back
Top Bottom