Danvers Walmart - A not so funny, funny when buying ammo

What's the big deal, the sales associate failed at her job. The managers seemed like they handled it appropriately. Next time ask to see the manager before complying.

minimal wages, lack of training, crazy hours,poor health benefits and constantly being belittled by "management" i think we should take it Little easier on these people and just be happy they are trying to make a wage for themselves just my $.02

This! Plus they work for a company that at least tries to sell ammo.

I was with my cousin and we stopped into a Walmart in NH for some .44 Magnums.
The clerk asked me if I was under a restraining order ????
I said "why would you ask me that?"
"Oh, company policy, I can't sell you ammo if you answer yes"

[sad2]

Should have answered "well when you put it that way, my answer is "no" [smile]"

that wouldnt be the first time ive heard of walmart employees making up rules regarding guns and ammo......heck, i remember reading one thread where someone was denied being sold ammo because they supposedly couldnt sell ammo after 10pm.....

I know that some chiefs have put ridiculous stipulations on the state permits they issue WM to sell ammo (or guns back when/where they did). Walpole WM can't sell any airguns or supplies, etc.

I also recall that some clerks were rejecting people with LTCs because Corporate (and cash register) asks for FIDs, not LTCs!! This was early on when this WM policy came into play (I saw the WM Corporate policy Email posted in one WM).

I drove a WM clerk nuts in Hudson NH when he asked for ID and I showed him my NH Permit. Since it has a MA address on it, he then insisted on seeing my MA FID/LTC. I refused and he put up quite a fuss. I stood my ground, telling him that there was no guarantee that this ammo would ever cross the MA border and since I was in NH, all he needed to see was my NH Permit. [laugh]

Come on now! A hot Walmart employee???? [thinking]

You are right, I don't recall ever seeing a WM employee anywhere in any WM that I would say was "hot".

I was with my cousin and we stopped into a Walmart in NH for some .44 Magnums.
The clerk asked me if I was under a restraining order ????
I said "why would you ask me that?"
"Oh, company policy, I can't sell you ammo if you answer yes"

[sad2]

Interesting. [rolleyes] Did you tell him/her that you were restraining yourself from choking him/her for asking such a question? [wink]

I know that some chiefs have put ridiculous stipulations on the state permits they issue WM to sell ammo (or guns back when/where they did). Walpole WM can't sell any airguns or supplies, etc.

I also recall that some clerks were rejecting people with LTCs because Corporate (and cash register) asks for FIDs, not LTCs!! This was early on when this WM policy came into play (I saw the WM Corporate policy Email posted in one WM).

I drove a WM clerk nuts in Hudson NH when he asked for ID and I showed him my NH Permit. Since it has a MA address on it, he then insisted on seeing my MA FID/LTC. I refused and he put up quite a fuss. I stood my ground, telling him that there was no guarantee that this ammo would ever cross the MA border and since I was in NH, all he needed to see was my NH Permit. [laugh]

You are right, I don't recall ever seeing a WM employee anywhere in any WM that I would say was "hot".

Interesting. [rolleyes] Did you tell him/her that you were restraining yourself from choking him/her for asking such a question? [wink]
You may wish to try the Wal Mart in Salem, NH. No problem purchasing ammo there. Yes, I show my FID, the clerk says thank you and proceeds to get the ammo that I requested out of the case. Even better prices than MA because there is no sales tax. Since I shoot only 12-gauge and .308, I am not too concerned about a lack of variety/selection. What they have in stock there usually fulfills my needs.

The last couple of times I got ammo from the Walpole store, the clerks I dealt with were all gun enthusiasts and talked up a storm. Pretty refreshing.

minimal wages, lack of training, crazy hours,poor health benefits and constantly being belittled by "management" i think we should take it Little easier on these people and just be happy they are trying to make a wage for themselves just my $.02

Tough shit, stupid is stupid and I will treat them as they deserve to be treated no matter where they work or how much they make. If they don't act like an idiot then they will be treated well, if they are idiots/a**h***s I will treat them as such.

You may wish to try the Wal Mart in Salem, NH. No problem purchasing ammo there. Yes, I show my FID, the clerk says thank you and proceeds to get the ammo that I requested out of the case. Even better prices than MA because there is no sales tax. Since I shoot only 12-gauge and .308, I am not too concerned about a lack of variety/selection. What they have in stock there usually fulfills my needs.

I just did it that once (perhaps 4-5 years ago) to crank the guy around.

I was in the Salem store earlier this year when we were up there for an Appleseed. I think that I bought .22LR for the Appleseed at that store and just took it up to the front register and showed my NH permit . . . no problems.

The last couple of times I got ammo from the Walpole store, the clerks I dealt with were all gun enthusiasts and talked up a storm. Pretty refreshing.

The Walpole SG Manager is a member of Mansfield F&G and I would frequently find him there shooting after work over the past few years.

Sometimes people like to bust balls and othertimes folks just want to get on with the day.

You can fine both kinds on each side of the counter.

I never enter a Wal-Mart with expectations of an intelligent conversation because that's not why I go there.

that wouldnt be the first time ive heard of walmart employees making up rules regarding guns and ammo......heck, i remember reading one thread where someone was denied being sold ammo because they supposedly couldnt sell ammo after 10pm.....

They may have been confusing it with the fact that Walmarts that sell guns can only sell them during specific hours.

You have looked at your LTC before and realized that it has the same address on it as your driver's license.....right?

Mine doesn't.

I still can't figure out with the 9 gazillion threads of people pissed off or upset with either Dicks Sporting Goods and/or Walmart, why anyone continues to shop for guns or ammo at either one of these retailers. Personally unless it's buy one get one free or friggan 80% off why put yourself through the frustration. There are several FANTASTIC gun shops I can think off that are worth the extra bucks and the travel. Just my .02

I still can't figure out with the 9 gazillion threads of people pissed off or upset with either Dicks Sporting Goods and/or Walmart, why anyone continues to shop for guns or ammo at either one of these retailers. Personally unless it's buy one get one free or friggan 80% off why put yourself through the frustration. There are several FANTASTIC gun shops I can think off that are worth the extra bucks and the travel. Just my .02

This!

Absolutely. Why put yourself thru the trouble. Plus put yourself in the clerks shoes. I know a couple of folks who work at a Wal-Mart and from what they tell me it's no walk on the beach.

It's obvious that some of you have never heard the term "a fool and his money are soon parted." Sure, for some ammo you can't get at Wally World it's going to be buy it at the dealer or don't buy it at all. However, I can think of one ammo I bought this week, it was $15.47 at Wally's and $21.95 at the local dealer. Same box, same ammo. For those of you without advanced knowledge of mathematics, 21.95 minus 15.47(you want to subtract the lesser to find the difference) is $6.48 cheaper PER BOX. Now, for those of you without a PhD in mathematics, $.48 multiplied by 3 is $19.44. That means, for every three boxes I buy at Walmart, I save $19.44 which equates to more than the cost of a single box at $15.47.

So, to put it simply, for every 3 boxes of ammo I buy at the dealer with this particular ammo, I could have gotten 4 boxes at Wally World for CHEAPER.(($61.88(Wally, 4 boxes) versus $65.85(Dealer, 3 boxes)). To me, that adds up to a lot of free ammo. The gun dealer still gets my money for guns and cleaning supplies so they are definitely still making a healthy profit, but I'm not seeing the point of purposefully paying extra for ammo.

That being said, as I put in my disclaimer, I do expect things like long waits and clueless employees in Walmart, but something like this where they made up a new policy, I just couldn't let slide. For the most part they operate on half retard at all times, but this time it had gone full retard and just like when drgrant locks a thread and puts up that great video, I had to ensure that it wouldn't happen to other customers.

P.S. - If some of you need me to make flash cards to assist with the math portion of this post, please let me know.

I read this last night, and it reminded me I needed some ammo. Walmart is on my way home, and they're open when I get out of work. I went to one in NH, asked for someone to meet me in sporting goods. The convo went something like this:

Him: Hi how can I help you?
Me: I just need to pick up some ammo
Him: Sure, what can I get ya?
Me: Whats the cheapest .40 ya got?
Him: This Winchester 165gr.
Me: Ok, I'll take the 100 round box
Him: (rings it up along with a couple other items) That'll be $37.94
*slide my card, enter pin etc*
Him: Thank you, have a good night.

No ID asked for or given. Maybe it was the uniform?

It's obvious that some of you have never heard the term "a fool and his money are soon parted." Sure, for some ammo you can't get at Wally World it's going to be buy it at the dealer or don't buy it at all. However, I can think of one ammo I bought this week, it was $15.47 at Wally's and $21.95 at the local dealer. Same box, same ammo. For those of you without advanced knowledge of mathematics, 21.95 minus 15.47(you want to subtract the lesser to find the difference) is $6.48 cheaper PER BOX. Now, for those of you without a PhD in mathematics, $.48 multiplied by 3 is $19.44. That means, for every three boxes I buy at Walmart, I save $19.44 which equates to more than the cost of a single box at $15.47.

So, to put it simply, for every 3 boxes of ammo I buy at the dealer with this particular ammo, I could have gotten 4 boxes at Wally World for CHEAPER.(($61.88(Wally, 4 boxes) versus $65.85(Dealer, 3 boxes)). To me, that adds up to a lot of free ammo. The gun dealer still gets my money for guns and cleaning supplies so they are definitely still making a healthy profit, but I'm not seeing the point of purposefully paying extra for ammo.

That being said, as I put in my disclaimer, I do expect things like long waits and clueless employees in Walmart, but something like this where they made up a new policy, I just couldn't let slide. For the most part they operate on half retard at all times, but this time it had gone full retard and just like when drgrant locks a thread and puts up that great video, I had to ensure that it wouldn't happen to other customers.

P.S. - If some of you need me to make flash cards to assist with the math portion of this post, please let me know.

No need for the insults, it just seems like there are several posts a month about people who are pissed at certain retailers, thats all. [wink]

Maybe try wheelin and dealin at your local gunshop? perhaps they might be able to throw ya a bone or somethin. Money talks, coming from a family of those self employed, more often then not you'd be surprised what you could negotiate.

At least you got your ammo. There are some WM's that won't sell any ammo after dark or after a certain time. They claim the key to the ammo cabinet is locked up for the day.

1. You don't need to show proof of any FID/Gun permit or anything in N.H. You may be asked to prove your age as you must be a certain age to by Ammo. example: I once pulled out my Mass LTC at Rileys to have the guy laugh at me and say. "I don't need that"

2. The Mass LTC not only has your address but also your DOB on the back. My LTC issued in 07 and my DL issues in 09 have similar info. Name, DOB, Address, Height. Difference are: LTC has LTC number, eye color, hair color and weight. DL has DL number and sex.

So from my perspective unless you are an idiot and still have you SSN as your License number the LTC has more info on it then the DL and I would just produce the DL instead of wasting my time thinking about the scenario and then getting a bunch of internet mall cops wound up about it. [mg]

I'm all for standing my ground, but arguing with a Walmart employee over something that doesn't give more information isn't on the top of my list. Would I mention it to her, that she needs to check on the process, yes. Would I worry more then 3 seconds. Nope, I'd be half way to the range.

They claim the key to the ammo cabinet is locked up for the day.

More often than not it will be. Its usually the sporting goods manager who carries the keys or one of the senior associates. At times the only available associate could be a minor and I wouldn't be suprised if there is a corporate policy stating minors cannot sell ammnution.

One thing I've noticed is when I buy my ammo the question "Handgun ?" no longer appears on the regester display and I'm not asked if its for a handgun. The only question which comes up on the display is "Over 18 ?".

Couple weeks ago, while stopping into a WM on the off-chance I'd be able to find someone to sell me ammo, I had the good fortune of getting to the counter to find the clerk already had it open helping a woman with airsoft BB's (should have bought a Megabucks ticket that day). When he asked for my license before he'd even reach in the case, the lady asked if she needed a license to buy the airsoft pellets. Clerk gave her the as-we-expect response - "no, not for airsoft, but this is the real stuff. This is the dangerous stuff." Clerk got the bored response (I have a genetic inability to just keep my mouth shut) that "the ammo is just metals and chemicals. It's some people out there that are dangerous". And you know what - as insincere and fake as it likely was, I give him full credit for the (probably feigned, but he made the effort) pensive look and the "yeah, I suppose you have a good point there". Checked the ID, rang it up, double bagged it so it wouldn't break through the bag (and I do believe that is why they double bag several boxes of ammo - it's not like you can't still see through it), wished me a Merry Christmas (!), and I was on my way. Couple minutes tops. Buying ammo. At Wal-Mart. In the PRM.

Should have bought the lottery tickets that day. And more ammo. Should have told airsoft lady to get the kids 10/22's instead of airsoft guns, too.

Stupid question, but is WM ammo really that much cheaper than a gun shop? If all I need are bullets is it worth going in there?

Back
Top Bottom