DA/SA safety question

What I've gathered from reading this thread is that those of you who can't reach your decocker/safeties need to find a gun that better fit your Trump-hands. [laugh]
#Beretta5lyfe

I don't have small hands, but the ease of operating the decocker is one plus of the SIG for me. Definitely do not do it with the support hand.

Given a choice I'd much rather have a good trigger with a clean 5 pound or less break and a long reset vs a 7lb shit wall puncher job. My P229s were difficult to master because of that issue. A lot of it obviously depended on the size of your hands... SRT might help in some cases because if the reset is short, your finger might have a greater mechanical advantage so it -feels- lighter, etc. I definitely see how someone could say that.

-Mike

I just put the SRT trigger in my 229. It's like a different gun. SA is beautiful and definitely feels a lot lighter, without actually being lighter. You're not rowing the trigger all over the place for the second shot.

Last edited:
"Rowing the trigger" is a great way to put it.
The SRT really should be standard... rather than just in their "elite" offerings... the semi extended beavertail frame of these guns do feel way better in your hand and when reaching to draw almost guides your hand to where you want to be on the grip.

More back to the topic of the thread, for the longest time i thought the safety of the target or performance (like the x5 x6) accutually was a rearward ambidextrous decocking lever. To bad they dont offer something like that.
it would move the decocker behide the slide catch/release....unfortunately for you small handed ones, these guns feel like a giant in your hands compart to the classic p series.

sigx6blackampwhite_zps4ee2bc9b.jpg
These are great gun if you can get one and stomache the price tag. I dont think they are importing anymore.
atleast not as many variants

Last edited:
"Rowing the trigger" is a great way to put it.
The SRT really should be standard... rather than just in their "elite" offerings... the semi extended beavertail frame of these guns do feel way better in your hand and when reaching to draw almost guides your hand to where you want to be on the grip.

More back to the topic of the thread, for the longest time i thought the safety of the target or performance (like the x5 x6) accutually was a rearward ambidextrous decocking lever. To bad they dont offer something like that.
it would move the decocker behide the slide catch/release....unfortunately for you small handed ones, these guns feel like a giant in your hands compart to the classic p series.

View attachment 195707
These are great gun if you can get one and stomache the price tag. I dont think they are importing anymore.
atleast not as many variants

I wouldnt mind that 1911-esque decocker location. Are there any MA available pistols setup that way?

Last edited:
I wouldnt mind that 1911-esque decocker location. Are there any MA available pistols setup that way?

That's not a decocker, it's just a safety, the gun is single action and it works like a 1911 does.

I doubt any of the SA sigs will be available over the counter in MA in a display case at mass market (eg, you're not going to see one at FS anytime soon, for the
droolcup crowd) but that doesn't mean they're not available.

-Mike

Im not aware of any decockers like i was suggesting, and i clearly think the p series dont need any revisions or upgrades.. it was just a thought.

As far as x5-6 in MA i know of a couple but depending on how close the date of release to present day would determine the rarity or an already rare item do to the way they legaly get here.

One thing to think about with the P series is the size of the grips. That may impact some people's ability to reach the decock.

I had the Hogue grips on my 229 forever because I thought I wanted that, but the grip is like a telephone pole with them. Another member showed me some pictures of his Sigs that he had put the Sig aluminum grips on. I bought a set and they are definitely way better.

As an aside, I am on a massive aluminum grip, "thing" now. I put the checkered aluminum on my SP-01, and they are SO GOOD. I thought they would be too rough, but they are definitely not. I have a set of the smooth aluminum with grip tape ones coming for my compact - those we will see but if I don't like them I will just get another set of checkered.

Thinner grips definitely might help people reach some of the controls.

Another member showed me some pictures of his Sigs that he had put the Sig aluminum grips on. I bought a set and they are definitely way better.

If you like those, you'd probably love the Hogue G10 grips. I have them on most of my Sigs. (They're very similar to the Legion grips, which makes sense because Hogue makes the Legion grips....)

There's also the Sig E2 grips for the Trump-handed among us. I'm not a fan but I know people who love them.

On my DA/SA pistols (Smith 3d gen), I load-up with the safety in the safe/decock position. That avoids the possibility/likelihood of experiencing that problem.

I have creepy small hands (aka glorious Trump freedom hands), I have g10's on all my P-series except my P225. I can reach the decocker (and the mag release) on all of them with out breaking my grip or twisting my hand up. With E2's the p226 is just a weeeee bit too far.

Woah this thread seems to have got lost in a dick swinging match about knowledge of Sig mechanical features.
I love the Sig DA/SA with decocker for all the reasons listed previously and is why I carry it.
I carry with a round in the chamber and decocked always. I have no idea how I would ever forget to decock, just like I would never forget any other safe gun handling behavior. I decock as soon as I load my carry gun or when I am finished shooting at the range.
With the internal safely features, a cocked Sig in SA is similar to carrying a loaded Glock except the trigger is pretty much at the wall and ready to break which is no-bueno.
It seems like most of the guns that "spontaneously" shoot their owners are being holstered and unholstered carelessly and in a hurry, whether the Fudd remembers it or not. The hammer gives you an extra level of tactile feedback going in and out a rig which is the one of the biggest pros for me.
In the end there's no mechanical safety for stupid.

Over 6,00 rounds through my P229, .40. Carry every day. Never a problem using the thumb to de-cock. And, no have never forgot to de-cock. it has become automatic.

I've owned and carried traditional DA/SA pistols for forty years. Never had a problem with regard to decocking before holstering. Practice, practice, practice...I've heard of it happening usually in a LEO context. In the end it's a training issue, practice.

I did that when I was a noob and I had a bunch of shitty holsters. I stopped doing it when I realized it was just a crutch for having a good holster and making a conscious decision to pay attention to holstering a firearm.

-Mike

A quality holster and belt is the baseline/required. Paying attention to holstering the firearm should be the standard and practiced each time. I imagine that if I were in a gunfight (I have only been in fistfights), there would be many different things screaming for my attention, and having the ability to holster without having to look down might be advantageous. It's like driving a car with seat belts and airbags - you still practice safe driving and pay attention to the road (or should).

Also, as someone else mentioned, it makes transitioning from pistol to rifle easier. I almost always carry AIWB, even with armor on, which sometimes actually makes it impossible to visually clear the holster. I find this makes my gear setup much more consistent and realistic, considering if there was a need for armor and a rifle, I would probably be throwing it on over my EDC, and not taking the time to change pants/belt/holster.

Back
Top Bottom