D-Day Match! Woburn Sportsmen's Association June 6th!

Looks like you're good to go to me... See you at the June WSA match! I'll be the SO with the GoPro on my head wearing the Navy shirt, so make sure you say hi!

Looks like you're good to go to me... See you at the June WSA match! I'll be the SO with the GoPro on my head wearing the Navy shirt, so make sure you say hi!

Awesome! Ya I can't wait! I'll make sure to say hello.

I've never used a GoPro but my dad has one he uses for his skiing videos...might have to steal that along with his M&P holster and mag pouch.

Finally have all my gear....I think. Comp-tac holster, mag pouch, wilderness instructor belt, and concealment vest.
View attachment 137465
View attachment 137466

Little concerned with the dowel test though. I'll have to play with the holster more after work tomorrow because I briefly did tonight and I definitely have more than a 3/4" gap between the holster and my side. I'm a really thin dude. 6ft 155lbs.

Might have to try the paddle attachment to see if that holds it closer.

You should try a doughnut and a cheesburger..

No worries, we will double check everything at the club on the day of the shoot.

Thanks for registering!

John

Can't wait. I wish I was able to go to the practice on Sunday but I had so much crap going on this past weekend. I would have liked to attend a practice so I'm not totally clueless at a match.

Can't wait. I wish I was able to go to the practice on Sunday but I had so much crap going on this past weekend. I would have liked to attend a practice so I'm not totally clueless at a match.

Sign up for whatever squad I'm running (David Bell). I'll make sure your first match goes nice and smooth and is fun!

[laugh] Okay I'll try that. Although I did have the belt pretty damn tight. I'm also going to try a different pair of pants because I'm certainly not going to wear these baggy dungaree Carhartt pants at a IDPA match/practice. I guess I was too lazy to change out of my work clothes late last night. Thanks.

I have often wondered if I lose too much weight will i fail the dowel test. I only pass it now with my blade-tech due to my "spare tire". Which is all muscle, BTW.

Great match at a great club. Clearly a lot of thought and hard work went into planning today's match. To all involved thank you for all
of your efforts. What a great match! I'll be a regular out there for sure

That was the most fun I've had in a loooong time. Now I see what I've been missing out on all this time haha. I thought I did okay in the ESP division for my first time. But I definitely need to practice so I can speed up my time a bit. Also understanding/remembering the COF when the buzzer goes off, is critical too. I could not for the life of me, understand/remember the COF for stage 5. I knew the freestyle/strong/weakhand but it was the order of the targets that I got hung up on.

I also need to touch up on the rules as I got a procedural for leaving the window/porthole on stage 6 with an empty gun. I wasn't aware of that but I'm not sure I would have remembered anyway lol.

Glad I have a list of lessons learned and things to work on for next time.

I couldn't believe the amount of people there and the way everyone worked together to set up the stages, do scoring etc. I realized quickly that this is a huge team effort and requires a lot of time to create and setup these stages. Very impressive. Can't wait for the next one!

As you get more experience you will get better at avoiding buzzer induced amnesia.

One tip: once you get your stage plan figured out, visualize it first person over and over.

As you get more experience you will get better at avoiding buzzer induced amnesia.

One tip: once you get your stage plan figured out, visualize it first person over and over.

That's what I figured.

Ya I was too busy watching people and chatting when I should have visualized a plan.

Any tips on low light stages? I had the flashlight wedged between my index and middle finger in my support hand. It didn't seem to work well but I think I need a brighter flashlight. I saw some guys holding the flashlight up in the air over their head then shot one handed.

That's what I figured.

Ya I was too busy watching people and chatting when I should have visualized a plan.

Any tips on low light stages? I had the flashlight wedged between my index and middle finger in my support hand. It didn't seem to work well but I think I need a brighter flashlight. I saw some guys holding the flashlight up in the air over their head then shot one handed.

Practice in your basement with an unloaded gun and the lights off. You'll need to do a lot of practice to see what works best for you, your hands, and your flashlight.

I'm not a fan of over the head. If you are shooting around a white piece of cover, the light over head will light up the cover and mess with what you can see.

Last edited:
Practice in your basement with an unloaded gun and the lights off. You'll need to do a lot of practice to see what works best for you, your hands, and your flashlight.

I'm not a fan of over the head. If you shooting around a white piece of cover, the light over head will light up the cover and mess with what you can see.

Good idea! I'll give that a try to see what works. I've got a cheap small flashlight that has 3 brightness levels but I think I still need something brighter. I've got a streamlight tlr3 (brighter than my flashlight) and I was wondering if I could somehow use that in my hand. I'll have to try it out in the basement.

I'm not a fan of over the head. If you shooting around a white piece of cover, the light over head will light up the cover and mess with what you can see.

Well that just takes the fun out of it. Couldn't I just paint my washer,dryer,furnace and reloading cabinet like a non threat?

Andrew,

I've got the Fenix UC35. Several advantages include, 5 different brightness modes operated by a separate button from the tail cap button. Max 960 lumens (wicked bright, almost too bright). Nice beam spread with center spot so it lights up the room pretty well. Fairly compact size. USB rechargeable battery. I found it on EBay for $73, which seems like a lot, but compared to some others, it's not! If you wedge the light between your middle middle and ring finger, it angles it down slightly, which minimizes the amount of reflection of light from the smoke generated by firing the gun. At the next match, remind me and I'll let you try it out.

David

Back
Top Bottom