D-Day Match! Woburn Sportsmen's Association June 6th!

johniac7078

NES Member
In honor of D-Day, our June 6th match will be designated the D-DAY MATCH! Registration on line is highly appreciated (see link below) but you may ALSO REGISTER IN PERSON. This is a 6 stage match and includes a low-light indoor stage. Breakfast and lunch will be available. If you would like to work the match, please PM me.

Thanks to the New England Shooting community for the tremendous support we have received for this program!

John

https://clubs.practiscore.com/woburn-sportsmen-s-association-d-day-match-june-6th/register

http://www.woburnactionshooters.org

Last edited:
Well I just joined IDPA and paid for the membership etc.

Really dumb question, do I pay $20 for the match when I get there or is that done through the "Donate to Practiscore" online?
Thanks.

Thanks. So what's the brass pickup protocol/etiquette at these matches for us reloaders?

Unless you are shooting a revolver and all your brass is in a clump (or a moon clip), leave it until the end of the match. Once the match is over and you have helped tear down, you can start collecting brass.

Don't hold up the match collecting brass.

This is an example of a situation caused by a shooter with significant hearing impairment who was focused on collecting brass, along with a USPSA safety officer that wasn't paying attention. Don't be that guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are shooting a revolver and all your brass is in a clump (or a moon clip), leave it until the end of the match. Once the match is over and you have helped tear down, you can start collecting brass.

Don't hold up the match collecting brass.

This is an example of a situation caused by a shooter with significant hearing impairment who was focused on collecting brass, along with a USPSA safety officer that wasn't paying attention. Don't be that guy.

Wow! WTF?! You weren't kidding when you said significant hearing impairment. Looks like a severe lack of communication among other things.

- - - Updated - - -

So when I register online, I'm obviously "unclassified", so will I be classified at this match?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! WTF?! You weren't kidding when you said significant hearing impairment. Looks like a severe lack of communication among other things.

Yeah. That was something.

So when I register online, I'm obviously "unclassified", so will I be classified at this match?

No. You only get classified when you attend a classifier match. Don't worry about that.

I just registered but think I made a mistake. I saw that the list of IDPA categories is "Required" so I checked "Senior" as I figured "Junior" must mean under 18 yo. But doing a quick Google search it looks like Senior is over the age of 55 on the first day of the match..,.

Probably should have asked before registering [hmmm] ...

I just registered but think I made a mistake. I saw that the list of IDPA categories is "Required" so I checked "Senior" as I figured "Junior" must mean under 18 yo. But doing a quick Google search it looks like Senior is over the age of 55 on the first day of the match..,.

Probably should have asked before registering [hmmm] ...
You'll be ok grandpa.. usually you have to fill out a registration form once you arrive. Fill that out correctly and you'll be all set.

You'll be ok grandpa.. usually you have to fill out a registration form once you arrive. Fill that out correctly and you'll be all set.

Haha, well grandpa might be under "Super Senior"? Okay well that's good to hear.

So what category would I check off? It says it's required so I can't leave it blank?

My comp-tac holster and dual mag pouch will be arriving on Thursday. Got my vest last Thursday and my belt on Friday. All coming together just in time for the match.

I'm going to steal my dad's bladetech holster and mag pouch that came with his M&P range kit. He hardly ever shoots so he said I can use the holster and pouch. Just in case if I want to change it up and shoot my M&P in SSP.

Strange that section is required on their sign registration page , our club doesnt require us to check anything there , I imagine you just check something and fill out the form when you arrive there. Dont worry too much about it.

Cool. Thanks.

I was curious, what bullet weights/shapes do you guys use for 9mm in IDPA? All I have is 115 gr X-treme plated RN bullets but was considering trying a different bullet weight/shape to try out and see how I like them.

Last edited:
I was curious, what bullet weights/shapes do you guys use for 9mm in IDPA? All I have is 115 gr X-treme plated RN bullets but was considering trying a different bullet weight/shape to try out and see how I like them.

I use 147 gr JHP Zero bullets, loaded over Vihtavuori N320. I was previously using 125 gr plated round nose, but found the 147 gr JHP to be far more accurate.

I use 147 gr JHP Zero bullets, loaded over Vihtavuori N320. I was previously using 125 gr plated round nose, but found the 147 gr JHP to be far more accurate.

Nice load you got. I've heard really good things about N320 but it's hard to track down which probably explains the higher price per pound compared to Hodgdon powders.

I've yet to try jacketed bullets in 9mm but I use Zero bullets for 357 magnum and they're VERY accurate from my GP100 and Henry.

I might have to find some jacketed bullets. What are those 147s costing you if you don't mind me asking. They seem to be almost twice the cost of comparable plated bullets. Although there's one place that sells the Zero 147s for about 11 cents shipped but they're currently out of stock. 11 cents ain't bad for that much lead and being jacketed. My X-treme 115s are about 7 cents each.

I would assume you must buy large/bulk amounts of bullets to get a better price.

I got mine from another competitive shooter. I don't remember the cost. Don't post the name of your online ammo component source - the AG's office has people monitoring NES and they will intimidate suppliers into not selling to MA residents.

I got mine from another competitive shooter. I don't remember the cost. Don't post the name of your online ammo component source - the AG's office has people monitoring NES and they will intimidate suppliers into not selling to MA residents.

Oh nice.

Ya I'm well aware of those damn AG trolls ([wave] AG trolls) so I would never post the name of vendors on here. That's all we need is more companies to stop shipping to MA.

Finally have all my gear....I think. Comp-tac holster, mag pouch, wilderness instructor belt, and concealment vest.
View attachment 137465
View attachment 137466

Little concerned with the dowel test though. I'll have to play with the holster more after work tomorrow because I briefly did tonight and I definitely have more than a 3/4" gap between the holster and my side. I'm a really thin dude. 6ft 155lbs.

Might have to try the paddle attachment to see if that holds it closer.

Although reading on the IDPA forums, people say not to sweat the dowel test since comp-tac sponsors IDPA? I really hope this is good to go as I just spent $140 on the holster and pouch.

Woburn Sportsmen's Association June IDPA Match

The gun kinda sags inward due to the weight even with the belt uncomfortably tight. Although I was wearing my baggy carhartt work pants. Maybe I should try regular jeans. Managed to find a 3/4" dowel in the basemen that my dad left from his woodworking days.

View attachment 137469View attachment 137470View attachment 137471View attachment 137472

Technically the dowel touches the mag release and the side of my body so maybe it does count. Or Am I overthinking this? Lol.

Last edited:
Although reading on the IDPA forums, people say not to sweat the dowel test since comp-tac sponsors IDPA? I really hope this is good to go as I just spent $140 on the holster and pouch.

I have found that my Comp Tac holster actually holds my pistol too close to my body. When standing normally the gun is in contact with my ribs. I have never seen a holster test at a local match.

I have never seen a holster test at a local match.

Okay good [laugh]

Some of these rules are kinda lame lol. Or maybe I'm in the minority when it comes to body type/size for IDPA shooters...

Last edited:
Pull your pants up and tighten that belt.

[laugh] Okay I'll try that. Although I did have the belt pretty damn tight. I'm also going to try a different pair of pants because I'm certainly not going to wear these baggy dungaree Carhartt pants at a IDPA match/practice. I guess I was too lazy to change out of my work clothes late last night. Thanks.

Came across this thread from the IDPA forums. Sounds like this guy is the same height and weight as me with the same issues using a comp-tac but not with a CZ75. But it sounds like the dowel isn't used very often at matches so maybe I shouldn't be too concerned.

http://idpaforum.yuku.com/topic/10370/Have-you-checked-YOUR-gear-with-The-Dowel#.VVyIwmx0zIU

I just checked my IDPA gear with a .75" dowel this morning. Granted, it was after I ran a 5k and before breakfast, but ONLY my SSR setup is 'legal' per the letter of the new dowel rule. I wear a Cabela's Double Duty belt for daily carry and competition, so it isn't a gun weight sag issue. My Glock 34 doesn't make it in my Comp-Tac or Blackhawk belt holsters. My Kimber 1911 doesn't make it in my Comp-Tac belt holster. My 1911 mag pouch is fine, but my older Fobus Glock mag pouch is not.

That's when I realized I don't look like most of the guys in my stack of Tactical Journals. You see, I'm actually in shape. I've not only survived, but finished Warrior Dash in the top 5%. I run between 5k-10k three times a week. I'm 150 lbs at 6' tall. Am I going to need fat implants to comply with equipment rules? Can I wear my knee pads around my waist? Should I start buying Hi-Cap soda? Enter matches as my twin sister, Willamina?

I didn't think the EQUIPMENT rules would be my undoing...

Truth be told, I've never seen a dowel having shot matches for over 2 years in three different clubs in Oregon. I have been inspected by SOs and MDs in each and told "you have a Comp-Tac, you're good". Comp-Tac's web site indicates my very holster is "IDPA Legal". Like most in IDPA, we learn some of the rules when we get nailed by them. The .75" object never jumped out at me because I had never been thoroughly tested with a properly placed (per ambiguous text) dowel. I guess I have a pile of awards to give back. The fact a rule can exist for 8 years doesn't mean it's a good one. I may be mistaken, but I thought this was the window of opportunity to keep some from being bad rules for another 8 years . Then again, perhaps the window is only .75" and it's too late. For some, if not all of us.

Back
Top Bottom