CZ - Decocker / Safety

I've upgraded 3 CZ's and once you do it 1-2 times its not too bad. Swapping a safety is not too bad as you don't have to take the sear cage apart. Just need to hold it in place.

I've taken the sear cage apart a few times and fixed an issue on a friends CZ.

That said, three hands would be nice!

I like them both. A decocker can be tuned very close to the trigger of a tuned safety, even a shadow with no firing pin block. The difference really becomes immaterial. For a carry gun I would lean towards a decocker. While you do get used to lowering the hammer safely, under stress it could be an issue. As someone who has let one off into the berm at the make ready command and seen others do it at matches that's not something I'd want to have happen in my car or home.

Last edited:
With a little practice the hammer can be dropped safely by covering it with your thumb.........A little off topic.... I got the CZ97 with safety, the trigger was rough with lots of creep so I dry fired it alot without using a snap cap to see if the trigger would get smoother, it works on S&w revolver's..... not a good idea, the firing pin fell out of the slide. This is what happened to the firing pin retaining pin. IMG_20190803_153637408_HDR.jpg

With a little practice the hammer can be dropped safely by covering it with your thumb.........A little off topic.... I got the CZ97 with safety, the trigger was rough with lots of creep so I dry fired it alot without using a snap cap to see if the trigger would get smoother, it works on S&w revolver's..... not a good idea, the firing pin fell out of the slide. This is what happened to the firing pin retaining pin.View attachment 463526
That’s common. Snip cap or even putting an Oring in between the hammer and firing pin

Yes to all of the above.
[shocked]
(Not more complicated than a detail reassembly of a Ruger Mark,
but all those parts are way teentsier. (I can't imagine being someone
with poor mechanical insight trying to follow that video because
almost all of the assembly points are hidden from the camera!)).

With a little practice the hammer can be dropped safely by covering it with your thumb...
Someone should host a contest -
who can manually decock their pistol
the most number of times in a row before the ND.

I suppose for safety's sake they should mandate
using a single round with no bullet or powder -
just live primers for the mild thrill.

Last edited:
[shocked]
(Not more complicated than a detail reassembly of a Ruger Mark,
but all those parts are way teentsier. (I can't imagine being someone
with poor mechanical insight trying to follow that video because
almost all of the assembly points are hidden from the camera!)).

Someone should host a contest -
who can manually decock their pistol
the most number of times in a row before the ND.

I suppose for safety's sake they should madate
using a single round with no bullet or powder -
just live primers for the mild thrill.
If I have to do it to half cock it's easy because you can basically let go of the trigger as soon as they Hammer starts moving which basically makes it so that you won't have an ND. The uspsa "all the way down" requirement is somewhat more perilous.

If I have to do it to half cock it's easy because you can basically let go of the trigger as soon as they Hammer starts moving which basically makes it so that you won't have an ND. The uspsa "all the way down" requirement is somewhat more perilous.
I retired my shadow 2 for a TSO. Now I’m cocked and locked for uspsa

I put the shadow 2 extended Saftey on my TSO. Liked it better.

My TSO is the only CZ I could no reason to tweak other than the safety change.

I retired my shadow 2 for a TSO. Now I’m cocked and locked for uspsa

I put the shadow 2 extended Saftey on my TSO. Liked it better.

My TSO is the only CZ I could no reason to tweak other than the safety change.
Just curious- what are your feelings about tso after shadow 2? What can it do better for you?

I shoot the shadow 2 a bit more accurately (do I need a 10X bushing? No but want. Lol).

But the TSO is my walls of steel gun and my go to for USPSA.

I’m generally not a DA/SA fan. But after some tweaks to my SP-01. It’s my go to idpa gun. Retired my Glock 17.

only thing the TSO needs is an optic. As is it’s a great gun.

That said. The S2 is a great gun if you want a DA/SA. I’d shoot it in idpa but it’s too heavy and I’m not going to mill it to make weight.

I,m curious as to why you say robust and cz shouldn't be used in the same sentence. I see them used in competition where they are used in all conditions and thousands of rounds per year. They seem to be the top choice for some divisions, I think if they weren't robust they wouldn't survive in the competition world. They are also popular with European police and military where being robust would seem to be an important criteria

join PF. read all about it.
compared to a sig or beretta TDA, the CZ uses a complex sear mechanism and trigger return springs. they are prone to failure. that isn't to say they are junk. they are fine pistols but not the most robust design if the goal is to survive long term use. a pistol being used in competition means absolutely nothing.

2 of my CZ pistols had to go back to CZ...

1) CZ 75 omega. trigger bar binding which interfered with the slide going back into battery and resetting. the problem was due to too much trigger bar over-travel. it lead to trigger bar getting peaned by the slide. it was replaced and now after less than 500 rds the problem has recurred.

2) CZ P 09 full size. 100 rounds in and the trigger bar spring flew out of the gun. needless to say the trigger was dead. i replaced trigger bar spring and it flew out again under live fire. sent back to CZ who allegedly fixed the problem but it doesn't inspire faith.

take a look at the trigger bar spring design on a CZ. terrible. Sig and Beretta use trigger bar springs that are anchored at two points. the CZ spring is anchored at only 1 in the frame. this si not the trigger return spring but rather the trigger bar spring that pushes up on the trigger bar to ensure resetting.

Last edited:
I shoot the shadow 2 a bit more accurately (do I need a 10X bushing? No but want. Lol).

But the TSO is my walls of steel gun and my go to for USPSA.

I’m generally not a DA/SA fan. But after some tweaks to my SP-01. It’s my go to idpa gun. Retired my Glock 17.

only thing the TSO needs is an optic. As is it’s a great gun.

That said. The S2 is a great gun if you want a DA/SA. I’d shoot it in idpa but it’s too heavy and I’m not going to mill it to make weight.
I have a new shadow 2 optic version with SRO mounted on it and plan on getting an extra slide for iron sights.
Heavy I got used to and, well, it is not that bad.
Is there anything else you feel? As I really think either get a slide for shadow or a TSO. But so far I cannot say I feel any short comings from shadow 2 optics ready.

I have a new shadow 2 optic version with SRO mounted on it and plan on getting an extra slide for iron sights.
Heavy I got used to and, well, it is not that bad.
Is there anything else you feel? As I really think either get a slide for shadow or a TSO. But so far I cannot say I feel any short comings from shadow 2 optics ready.
It’s really DA/SA verses SAO.

I’m a 1911 guy so a TSO was an easy choice. I sold a DA/SA Legion 226 for a SAO model. So that’s my criteria.

compared to a sig or beretta TDA, the CZ uses a complex sear mechanism and trigger return springs. they are prone to failure. that isn't to say they are junk. they are fine pistols but not the most robust design if the goal is to survive long term use. a pistol being used in competition means absolutely nothing.

1) CZ 75 omega. trigger bar binding which interfered with the slide going back into battery and resetting. the problem was due to too much trigger bar over-travel. it lead to trigger bar getting peaned by the slide. it was replaced and now after less than 500 rds the problem has recurred.

2) CZ P 09 full size. 100 rounds in and the trigger bar spring flew out of the gun. needless to say the trigger was dead. i replaced trigger bar spring and it flew out again under live fire. sent back to CZ who allegedly fixed the problem but it doesn't inspire faith.

take a look at the trigger bar spring design on a CZ. terrible. Sig and Beretta use trigger bar springs that are anchored at two points. the CZ spring is anchored at only 1 in the frame. this si not the trigger return spring but rather the trigger bar spring that pushes up on the trigger bar to ensure resetting.

Sorry to hear you got cz, s made on Friday the 13th, though I notice that despite having trouble with one you went out and bought another 😃 I can,t speak for the omega as that's a bit of an unusual design being able to be a safety or decocker rather than one or the other which is a sturdier design. (I think your better of with either the de cocker or safety model.)

I disagree with your statement that "that if the goal is to survive long term use, a pistol being used in competition means nothing" I would say this means a lot..the average sig P series/beretta owner probably shoots 1000-2000 rounds a year if that. A serious competitor shoots 5-10,000 plus rounds per year and shoots week in and week out. A competor isn,t going going to stay with an unreliable platform that craps out on match day. Sure you may have to replace a slide stop or trigger return spring after 20,000 rounds, that's maintanence, do you have to do that with a sig or beretta? It takes so long for the round count to get up there when something goes the gun is like 20 years old so no on knows if the,re really that sturdy. The sig X5 is a competition gun that see,s high round counts and it certainly has mantainence needs as the round count goes up.

What is PF??? I don,t get out much

Great sample set there, two guns that zero CZ fans ever buy. [rofl]

Great sample set there, two guns that zero CZ fans ever buy. [rofl]
52g1xy.jpg

I believe @andrew1220 , the patron saint of primers,uses one for u.s.p.s.a.
I can't remember if its a safety or decocker model.
He might offer some insight of the pros and cons of each.

My only gripe with the 97 is no ambi-safety, so I have to start hammer down on everything. I have the southpaw curse.
Some don't like the weight of it, citing its too heavy, but I also shoot i.s.r. so its zero difference for me.
If anything my ST2 is lighter than , or at least the weight is more centered than the other 2.

Sorry to hear you got cz, s made on Friday the 13th, though I notice that despite having trouble with one you went out and bought another 😃 I can,t speak for the omega as that's a bit of an unusual design being able to be a safety or decocker rather than one or the other which is a sturdier design. (I think your better of with either the de cocker or safety model.)

I disagree with your statement that "that if the goal is to survive long term use, a pistol being used in competition means nothing" I would say this means a lot..the average sig P series/beretta owner probably shoots 1000-2000 rounds a year if that. A serious competitor shoots 5-10,000 plus rounds per year and shoots week in and week out. A competor isn,t going going to stay with an unreliable platform that craps out on match day. Sure you may have to replace a slide stop or trigger return spring after 20,000 rounds, that's maintanence, do you have to do that with a sig or beretta? It takes so long for the round count to get up there when something goes the gun is like 20 years old so no on knows if the,re really that sturdy. The sig X5 is a competition gun that see,s high round counts and it certainly has mantainence needs as the round count goes up.

What is PF??? I don,t get out much

PF = pistol forum
more expertise, less emotion

What is this mythical forum u speak of?? A gun forum with expertise and no drama...as soon as I'm done feeding my unicorn I,m heading over their lol

As pointed out in an earlier post a certain member of this forum who may, or may not have blown up a Dan Wesson competes with a Cz, if that doesn't tell you something about their durability I don,t know what to say. Said member does quite well with it I might add!!

In all seriousness I will check out the PF forum

I've got a Tanfoglio all Stainless Compact Witness in 10mm, a CZ clone. It's the smallest 10mm I've been able to find. Fantastic gun except for front sight which I'll address shortly. The set up on this gun is a safety in lieu of a decocker.

I own two CZ 75 bd and 97bd. The decocker, in my opinion, is the way to go if you are going to use it for EDC. The 75BD I carry AIWB and my 97BD OWB.

Back
Top Bottom