CZ - Decocker / Safety

Looking to finally get a CZ and I see that a lot of the models come with either a decocker or a safety version. I am reading that the decocker model is more preferable for carry, but I don’t really understand why.

Wouldn’t a de-cocked decocker model (carry mode) basically be the same as a de-cocked safety model with the safety off?

Can you not safely de-cock the safety models for some reason?
Are the double action pulls the same?

What am I missing?

Yes, they're the same.... the problem is... On a CZ like a 75B if you want to carry the gun in DA you have to point the gun in a safe direction, pinch the hammer, and pull the trigger and thumb the hammer down to get the gun into DA. Needless to say, this is sort of fraught with potential peril if you're not particularly good at it.

You can maually de-cock the safety models, but you need to make sure you have control of the hammer when you do it.

Some people will also say it's not meant to carrry decocked with the safety off

What Mike said. If you want to carry with one in the chamber, you need to manually decock the gun while holding/blocking the hammer. That's something I've done successfully many times at the range/USPSA, but not something I'm going to do in the living room of my house.

I prefer decocker. My cz82s have safeties but when I carry those it's with the hammer down. Just manually lower it carefully. I go with the decocker on my newer CZs. One less thing to think about.

I get it now.

Is the single action pull any different between the two styles?

Yes, they're the same.... the problem is... On a CZ like a 75B if you want to carry the gun in DA you have to point the gun in a safe direction, pinch the hammer, and pull the trigger and thumb the hammer down to get the gun into DA. Needless to say, this is sort of fraught with potential peril if you're not particularly good at it.

To the people compete and tinker, the safety version can be tuned slightly better than the decocker version.

I have a CZ 97B and I just treat it as a 1911 with a second strike capability. In other words, I hardly ever fire it DA. I just keep it “cocked and locked” like a 1911. If I wanted to carry it de-cocked I would definitely go for the BD. I don’t carry it (way too big for me as a carry gun) so treating it like a 1911 is no big deal. I have heard that, particularly on the 97, the de-cocking mechanism has a small negative impact on the trigger, but I've never fired a BD so I have no objective way of knowing.

I own a CZ75 Compact PCR D...the D means decocker.. I love it. I always get a little nervous when I lower the hammer on my 1911 when there's cartridge in the pipe. I don't have to worry about that with the decocker.

Big fan of CZ’s. All mine are safety versions.

I would not buy a decocker one. as some said it’s a bit more tricky to tweak. And I’ve tweaked all of mine but one.

I shoot a few in idpa/uspsa. So sometimes I have to manually drop the hammer. I’m comfortable dropping it.

A shadow 2 has a safety too but you better not drop it with a round in it.

Yes, it is, that's why I'd let someone else deal with it. Thankfully its one of those things that rarely needs to be touched.
Try changing out the flat safety lever for a larger safety lever and let me know how much fun it is... I did it on a customers gun the other day and I swear I was ready to just buy the gun from him and throw it away... Not a pleasant experience.

Try changing out the flat safety lever for a larger safety lever and let me know how much fun it is... I did it on a customers gun the other day and I swear I was ready to just buy the gun from him and throw it away... Not a pleasant experience.
I always wondered how much of a pain in the ass that operation was I guess I just got my answer..... [rofl]

I always wondered how much of a pain in the ass that operation was I guess I just got my answer..... [rofl]
Is it because you need about 23 fingers to hold all the tidbits in
(like a detail strip of a Ruger Mark pistol),
or you have to whack something with a hammer and punch,
or you have to sand something down to fit,
or what?

I own a CZ75 Compact PCR D...the D means decocker.. I love it. I always get a little nervous when I lower the hammer on my 1911 when there's cartridge in the pipe. I don't have to worry about that with the decocker.

I have a P01, about the same thing. My favorite gun to shoot but not quite as comfortable to carry as I hoped.

Looking to finally get a CZ and I see that a lot of the models come with either a decocker or a safety version. I am reading that the decocker model is more preferable for carry, but I don’t really understand why.

Wouldn’t a de-cocked decocker model (carry mode) basically be the same as a de-cocked safety model with the safety off?

Can you not safely de-cock the safety models for some reason?
Are the double action pulls the same?

What am I missing?

Is this a carry gun or target/range gun? For carry definitely decocker unless your used to training with a 1911. I got a P01 (decocker) for carry cause I’m used to decocking before reholstering, and not used to 1911s. Practice a lot whatever version you get.

Is it because you need about 23 fingers to hold all the tidbits in
(like a detail strip of a Ruger Mark pistol),
or you have to whack something with a hammer and punch,
or you have to sand something down to fit,
or what?

Yes to all of the above.
So the pins aren't staked in like you'd see on a 1911, they're almost press fit its machined so tight.
The sear cage contains 1 or 2 small springs depending on the model, which is just a sub-assembly of the ignition system.
Trying to fit a Cajun sear, reset and safety lever requires complete disassembly, fitting, re-assembly, then function to see where it clashes, then a complete disassembly to make a few swipes on the safety lever, the sear and another critical point which the name for that escapes me, because I'm in potato mode until about 8 a.m..

Pin vise, frame vise, dykem blue, stones, tiny fingers with 6 knuckles in each digit, 2 elbows in each arm and telekinesis are all that required at a minimum to get it the first try.
If you don't have at least the stones, vise and dykem blue, you're looking at a 2 day project, because you have to keep walking away, watching vids and reading walk-throughs, and day drink to the point where you start to question all the horrible life decisions you've made that led you to that exact point in time.

Or at least that was my experience with my 97B. My Shadow Target 2 came ready to rip right out of the box.

I see theres now a tutorial list on the Cajun site, which wasn't there when I did mine. I wish it was, but I managed to find a ton of info and step-by-step at the Brian Enos forums.

Heres a vid of one-

@22lr

the omega trigger is DA / safety convertible by the user. That’s also an option. I personally prefer the older trigger system in terms of feel but the omega is simpler and probably more robust, although robust and CZ probably shouldn’t be used in same sentence.

To the outside observer, not much, but I know the mechanicals of a BD vs a regular model are considerably different inside.

??

My CZ was a safety version, converted to decocker. The original parts came with it.

If I remember correctly, there were only like three different parts.

How are they considerably different?

I should probably go look at the original bits again.

Edit:

Nevermind. I just remembered mine is an Omega, so it’s a different beast.

I am thinking a 97 that will primarily live at home in a quick access pistol safe and will also make occasional range trips. Maybe also a 75 variant for a range gun. Tough decision.

I have a P01, about the same thing. My favorite gun to shoot but not quite as comfortable to carry as I hoped.

Is this a carry gun or target/range gun? For carry definitely decocker unless your used to training with a 1911. I got a P01 (decocker) for carry cause I’m used to decocking before reholstering, and not used to 1911s. Practice a lot whatever version you get.

I am thinking a 97 that will primarily live at home in a quick access pistol safe and will also make occasional range trips. Maybe also a 75 variant for a range gun. Tough decision.

If they fit in your hand like they do mine, like it was custom tailored, you will never want to shoot another bottom feed ever again, and will look at everything else in absolute disgust and disdain.
Set of LOK palmswell's on the ST2 and it fit like a glove.
You'll also want a top hat and monocle. I was disappointed neither of mine came with either of those. I bought those separately.

I tried it once... got very close to fitting it all, but just couldn't get it that last tiny bit. Gave up after a while, and was sending it out to a CJ Maven for his tuning anyway and asked him to do the final fitting. LOL.

It's not a tough decision... get them all

Yes to all of the above.
So the pins aren't staked in like you'd see on a 1911, they're almost press fit its machined so tight.
The sear cage contains 1 or 2 small springs depending on the model, which is just a sub-assembly of the ignition system.
Trying to fit a Cajun sear, reset and safety lever requires complete disassembly, fitting, re-assembly, then function to see where it clashes, then a complete disassembly to make a few swipes on the safety lever, the sear and another critical point which the name for that escapes me, because I'm in potato mode until about 8 a.m..

Pin vise, frame vise, dykem blue, stones, tiny fingers with 6 knuckles in each digit, 2 elbows in each arm and telekinesis are all that required at a minimum to get it the first try.
If you don't have at least the stones, vise and dykem blue, you're looking at a 2 day project, because you have to keep walking away, watching vids and reading walk-throughs, and day drink to the point where you start to question all the horrible life decisions you've made that led you to that exact point in time.

Or at least that was my experience with my 97B. My Shadow Target 2 came ready to rip right out of the box.

I see theres now a tutorial list on the Cajun site, which wasn't there when I did mine. I wish it was, but I managed to find a ton of info and step-by-step at the Brian Enos forums.

Heres a vid of one-

good to hear all that, as i got a full upgrade cajun kit for my shadow 2, but, never got guts to proceed with replacement of a hammer and other internals, after watching videos of the process.
only the 11.5# spring went in. i guess it was a wise decision. :)

Now that you,ve done it once the next time will be an easy 5 min job!! The first time I did it it was a pain with the sear cage popping out and then looking for a little piece that fell out. Now I don,t think twice about changing out the safety it's kinda nice that there are no pins to punch out.

If your patient, and have a clean uncluttered work area, going in and polishing, changing out parts etc isn,t that big of a deal. U tube is your friend, take a few photo,s as you get into it, in case you need to refer to them when putting things back together. Make sure you have the correct starter punch and some picks etc before getting started

@22lr

the omega trigger is DA / safety convertible by the user. That’s also an option. I personally prefer the older trigger system in terms of feel but the omega is simpler and probably more robust, although robust and CZ probably shouldn’t be used in same sentence.

I,m curious as to why you say robust and cz shouldn't be used in the same sentence. I see them used in competition where they are used in all conditions and thousands of rounds per year. They seem to be the top choice for some divisions, I think if they weren't robust they wouldn't survive in the competition world. They are also popular with European police and military where being robust would seem to be an important criteria

Back
Top Bottom