• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

cz-52

so i had a mint condition cz-52 awhile ago and got rid of it...never shot it...just bought it on a whim then dumped it to buy something else...

the more i read on some forums about the capabilities of the 7.62x25 round the more i regret getting rid of the gun

im thinking of picking one up again but wanted opinions first...from what ive ready any fmj round is capable of DEEP penetration and i just think that this pistol and a 1000 rounds stored up would be a decent weapon to have in the future

so my question is are the capabilities of the gun true and do you guys think getting another one is worth it?

They're cheap enough, but it's a pain to deal with the corrosive surplus ammo that's available for them (I know how to do it, it's just that when I go the range, I like to bring at least a dozen guns, but if I shoot the CZ52 with the surplus ammo, I'm forced to clean the crappiest one first).

Without work, the trigger is really bad, and they're not terribly accurate.

The rounds are a pain in the ass to reload too. If you don't reload, it's a cheap way to get a pistol and a bunch of ammo.

Also, if you don't reload you're better off spending the money to get a press and dies, etc. Then all your guns get cheaper to shoot.

There is also Winchester White Box ammo available in 7.62 x 25mm. It's not cheap (I've found it about $20 to $24 a box) but it's also not corrosive and extremely reliable. I wouldn't consider this gun for carry because of how brutal it is to change mags quickly and the fact that many of them have old decockers that fail (which makes me worry about the safety).

I like mine. Its not very accurate but I think that depends on the condition of the gun because I know some people that can hit clays at 50 yards with theirs.
As for 7.62x25, its pretty easy to find and not that expensive. S&B, Wolf Gold, and a few other types are non corrosive and can be found at shops and shows. Yes surplus stuff is corrosive and there was one country's type I heard bad stories about but I can't remember which one right now. Something about it being too hot and was made for the PPSH instead of handgun use. A search on the net should find the info though as it was covered in a lot of shooting forums.
Clean up isn't too bad because these guns are easy to take down and clean, at least IMO they are.
The Romanian Tokarevs out there now are also in 7.62x25.

Does anyone know how it compares to the Romanian Tula Tokarev 33 or TT33? I know that's another pistol I see alot chambered in 7.62x25. I wasn't sure whether or not it's known to be a better shooter than the CZ 52.

I understand that the Tokarev or TT-33 are thinner and more ergonomic. I know people that like both...if I were spending my money and these were the only choices, I'd pick up a Tokarev.

Yes surplus stuff is corrosive and there was one country's type I heard bad stories about but I can't remember which one right now. Something about it being too hot and was made for the PPSH instead of handgun use.

The original warning site is down right now, but it was either the 1952 or 1953 Bulgarian that should be avoided for ANYTHING. They were taking the CZ-52s apart, and the reported CUP was twice the proof loads (over 100K)

The 54 works great though :D

The original warning site is down right now, but it was either the 1952 or 1953 Bulgarian that should be avoided for ANYTHING. They were taking the CZ-52s apart, and the reported CUP was twice the proof loads (over 100K)

The 54 works great though :D

Do you have headstamp info on those rounds? Probably be a good idea to have a sticky posted.

Does anyone know how it compares to the Romanian Tula Tokarev 33 or TT33? I know that's another pistol I see alot chambered in 7.62x25. I wasn't sure whether or not it's known to be a better shooter than the CZ 52.

I had heard about quality/function issues with the Romanian Tokarevs but mine seems to work fine.

Honestly, I forgot the exact headstamp, so I don't wnat to put it down. Also, I think the headstamp extended past the original warning. For example, I think the original warning was against the 9-52 stamp but then they found bad ones in 10-52 as well.

For safety, I'd avoid both those years in Bulgarian. Get Romanian, it's better quality anyway.

As for Romanian Toks, mine shoots fine, although inaccurately, but it does not hold open. I believe it's a magazine problem with one of my mags.

I understand that the Tokarev or TT-33 are thinner and more ergonomic. I know people that like both...if I were spending my money and these were the only choices, I'd pick up a Tokarev.

Neither is as ergonomic (or attractive) as a 1911, but the Tokarev has a better balance and fits a bit better in my hand. I can't really say which is more accurate as I haven't put much range time in with either one (guess it's time to put in an order for a case of 7.62 TOK...)

I actually like the CZ's look - it's kind of cool in a "rat bike" sort of way. I've handled a worked-over 52 with wood grips and an extended slide release... it felt better to handle, even if it still looked like a pig in gucci shoes. I may just have to pick up another one just to see how over the top I can make it (OD Green?)

I have a 52 in perfect condition. I bought a couple cases of Bulgarian ammo from Century back in the good old day's when they shipped to Mass. I found it to be very accurate flat shooting and I could hit clays offhand @ 100 yds. as long as I could control that crappy trigger pull. Cleaning is no problem. A little Windex and then some oil and your done. Reloading for it is also no problem except that you have to lube the brass because it is a bottleneck case. The CZ52 is a very well made pistol.

and then I checked my reloading/ammo bench.......

iof3ua.jpg

I thought that box looked familiar....................DRAT!

I thought that box looked familiar....................DRAT!

Don't feel bad. Many of us are guilty of buying crap ammo w/out knowing it including myself.

Behold... the dreaded Indian .308

100_0529.jpg

I bought a can of this stuff a while back and didn't know any better because it was labeled as South African. [sad]

I maybe getting a CZ 52 and I was reading that there is a 9mm conversion barrel for these... Anyone ever try these?

Trying to do some research but wanted to check here also....

I maybe getting a CZ 52 and I was reading that there is a 9mm conversion barrel for these... Anyone ever try these?

Trying to do some research but wanted to check here also....

I have one for mine. Good luck finding one now though.

It's been 100% reliable with all kinds of 9mm ammo.

Found one place still selling the 9mm conversion barrels for about $90. Nothing wrong with using 7.62x25 but I have more 9mm.

Will try a few rounds of the 7.62x25 and see how it goes......

PM me a link for the conversion barrel Shanef?

I like the 7.62x25 round but I've yet to do any searching for a supplier that will ship to MA. My local shop can't get it for me, and M&M's will only order me the newpro stuff that's way too pricey. The conversion barrel would just be a cool thing to have.

Back
Top Bottom