Is my dou 45 k98 semi-kriegsmodel late war or post cz k98?

Was suggested this thread be moved to this site: Need help to date my Mauser. It has the following: receiver w/mod 98, dou 45, x( Russian captured); take down disk in stock, cupped butt plate; serial # (93XX) on left side of stock; no bayonet lug, no cleaning rod, barrel stamped w/ k98 German 8mm, etc.; front hood sight; German marks on barrel. Looks like a semi-Kriegsmodell, but here's the kicker. It has a large trigger guard. It has no access to let ammo out from bottom. Is this then a late war model or a post cz 45-50 k98 model? Read though that cz k98 reinstalled bayonets and cleaning rods to post dou 45 models. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
mauser.JPG

Last edited:
A normal DOU45 would be a full Kriegsmodell. DOU44 cc-block was when they started deleting the cleaning rods; the bayonet lug was still present, but the hole was not drilled. If there is PRUDENCE44 on the left receiver rail, then its a Czech post war rework. Definitely a post-war Czech trigger guard. As a RC, probably a mix of parts. We'd need to see these details.

t

Thanks for info. Here are some pictures. Not have the greatest camera. Appreciate any more input from these.
mauser 2.JPG mauser 3.JPG mauser 4.JPG mauser 5.JPG mauser 6.JPG mauser 7.JPG mauser 8.JPG mauser 1.JPGmauser 9.JPG mauser 10.JPG

Last edited:
It's a parts gun. RC receiver does not match RC stock. Someone put it together as a Kriegsmodell, but the Czech winter trigger is incorrect.

t

Appreciate the info. Reason why I posted this was because latewar.com showed pictures of semi-kriegsmodell and full kriegsmodell. Only part that was different was winter trigger guard. Another site quoted that Czechs after WWII used old German parts and new parts to assemble these rifles. Article stated Czechs reinstalled bayonet lugs and cleaning rods. Germans never used winter trigger guards like Czechs. It went on to say that Nazi proofs and waffenamts were on the barrel with an oversized stamped trigger guard which accommodated gloved finger, all of which were used until they ran out of parts. Then they were all Slovak except for design (www.ncgunowners.com). Not collector of all matching serial #'s, just use them for shooters as is. Enjoy researching info on all rifles. If not careful, you can go on a rabbit trail with these rifles. Lot of good and bad info out there.............:D

Last edited:
Still a decent 'reproduction' of a full Kriegsmodell. To complete it, just get a stamped trigger guard with no provision for capture screws. If its got a good bore, you have a great shooter. You may need to shim some parts to accurize it. There's a seller on GunBoards who has added K98 accuracy kits in addition to his Mosin Kits.

t

Thanks for your time and info. Will probably leave it as is. Looks sharp looking! Bore good. Definitely will be a nice shooter.

I plan on shooting mine soon. :D

Found more info for those following. My rifle could probably be an cz post dou 45 with winter trigger guard. Dou 45 are considered post rifles with German markings. These were sold on Classic Firearms . Found other info to support claim that cz used German parts and new cz parts to make the cz k98. (Now I understand why have winter trigger guard.)

Yes it is they need arms for post war. They made a lot if stuff for the Germans remember they were the 1st ones they took over. They made a lot of tanks for them remember the Yugoslav did the samething at the end of the war.

I plan on shooting mine soon. :D

Found more info for those following. My rifle could probably be an cz post dou 45 with winter trigger guard. Dou 45 are considered post rifles with German markings. These were sold on Classic Firearms . Found other info to support claim that cz used German parts and new cz parts to make the cz k98. (Now I understand why have winter trigger guard.)

Well I believe the barreled receiver was originally completed by Bystreca (Brunn II) under the Germans since it has what looks to be the correct waafenamt on the top of receiver. And you can see the original late phosphate finish showing thru just under the Russian dip.

This thing went thru the RC process so it's mixed parts. Czechs must have put the winter guard on. Someone later may have put a more correct stock. But not sure if they went that far why they wouldn't have changed to the original setup (would think about changing out to K98 configuration to improve on it). Dou 45 stock had the takedown disc, you could check for the three letter markings inside the stock to find out if what kind of stock. I'm guessing that someone took the RC and made it look correct. The stock looks cleaned up from the shellac.

This is a nice late Mauser.
Since the vast majority of dou 45s were captured and are in fact RCs as imports, it's not a bad RC to own for a late war.

Back
Top Bottom