Customs and border patrol in Kittery?

I saw a unit (3guys, 1 woman) having lunch in Kittery ME today. Isn't that a little far away from the next border? WTF are they doing there? (Excepted eating, of course). Geared up like nobody's business on top of that.

I was coming back from Burlington Vt a few years ago, driving south on Rt 89. About 1 mile into NH, Lebanon area, there was a checkpoint for the border patrol. They were right in the middle of Rt 89 south. I still have no idea what they were doing there, they didn't stop people, didn't talk to anyone I saw but traffic was at a crawl due to this and they just looked at cars as they passed.

What the heck is BP doing there? It doesn't even make sense if they were looking for someone going south on 89 since a bunch of cars going southward take Rt 91 a few miles before this area. Anyone going to western MA or CT would take Rt 91.

Between Pease and the number of foreign-flagged shipping that comes through Portsmouth, it's not surprising.

And given the number of good places to get lunch in Kittery......

This, it encompasses 90% of New England

100mileborderzone.jpg

They're in Kittery to hand out drivers licenses, green cards, EBT cards, Obamaphones and your tax dollars to any of the "dreamers" who might have missed the handouts at the border.

What color were their uniforms, green or blue?
Blue, almost black. Reflective BPD on the back. Looked to me like two of them were wearing soft body armor, or at least MOLLE carriers. They had more shit hanging from their vests and belts than batman and the 1st MARDIV combined.

I was coming back from Burlington Vt a few years ago, driving south on Rt 89. About 1 mile into NH, Lebanon area, there was a checkpoint for the border patrol. They were right in the middle of Rt 89 south. I still have no idea what they were doing there, they didn't stop people, didn't talk to anyone I saw but traffic was at a crawl due to this and they just looked at cars as they passed.

What the heck is BP doing there?

1) Security theater.

2) Figured it would be a good place to sleep, far away from their superiors.

Blue, almost black. Reflective BPD on the back. Looked to me like two of them were wearing soft body armor, or at least MOLLE carriers. They had more shit hanging from their vests and belts than batman and the 1st MARDIV combined.
Blue means they're Customs, not Border Patrol. Border Patrol wears green uniforms. Although the "BPD" suggests to me that it was a police department.
This is what Customs looks like:
CBPO.jpg

I was stopped on the highway at a checkpoint in the white mountains about 2 years ago with my brother. I'd say not far from Franconia area. They were checking the south bound side. Thought that was fairly far from the border.

It's not totally accurate, since it draws the 100 mile zone around the Great Lakes, which aren't the border.

But since the CBP claims that their 100 mile zone applies to any "point of entry", the map should include an orange circle around every international airport, including Dallas, Denver, Kansas City, etc., etc., ....

It's not totally accurate, since it draws the 100 mile zone around the Great Lakes, which aren't the border.

But since the CBP claims that their 100 mile zone applies to any "point of entry", the map should include an orange circle around every international airport, including Dallas, Denver, Kansas City, etc., etc., ....

Since a ship or boat can enter the U.S. and sail up the Hudson River, the border extends 100 miles east and west of the Hudson River. I would guess that's why the boder extends 100 miles from the shores of the great lakes.

I know nothing about a port of entry accessible by aircraft only like Dallas, Kansas City, etc.

Even Casper, WY has an international airport. Wyoming is the last place I would expect to find border patrol.

http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/wy
Likewise. Your link references Customs, though, not Border Patrol.

EDIT: I fully realize that it's difficult to distinguish between the two now since the agencies were reorganized and renamed during the Bush Administration, but "Customs and Border Protection" and "Border Patrol" aren't the same thing.

Last edited:
CBP stands for Customs and Border Protection. Border Patrol IS part of CBP...they wear green uniforms and are in charge of patrolling "between" ports of entry along the southern and northern borders. CBP - Office of Field Operations wear the blue uniforms and work AT ports of entry which include international airports, land ports of entry and seaports.

What the heck is BP doing there? It doesn't even make sense if they were looking for someone going south on 89 since a bunch of cars going southward take Rt 91 a few miles before this area. Anyone going to western MA or CT would take Rt 91.

under dehr Leader's executive orders, BP was looking for illegals....to greet them to the country, hand out phones, ebt cards, health insurance cards...it just one global frigin party

Back
Top Bottom