CT in comparison to MA?

I will be moving out of this hellhole known as Springfield (where I am lucky enough to hold a Class A-No restrictions) and headed down just a little south of the border into CT. I have read some of the laws but am looking for opinions on how CT is compared to MA in regards to issuing CCWs, wait times, etc... Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks, BT

CCW - in theory "may issue", however, it's almost "shall issue" and "showing of special need or political connections" is not required.

Guns for sale - No handgun nonsense limiting models like in MA

The bad news - state level AW ban, includes AR15's "by name" but not other named clones.

Last edited:
Ultimately you'll find Connecticut a lot easier to deal with in most cases. As mentioned above, we still do have an AWB (although pre-bans get around a lot of that nonsense) and there are "named" rifles you can't own in any respect such as a Colt Sports AR15, Thompson (semi-auto version) and a number of others but they, too, don't impact most collectors.

Application for a permit is relatively easy and painless. Like MASS, we require a training certificate from an NRA sanctioned instructor. If you have your MASS license, however, you've got that already.

No ammo restrictions or mag restrictions which will make your like a lot easier.

The only wrinkle you may enounter is if you have an AK in 7.62 x 39. They are specifically targeted and aren't eligible to own here anymore. You can own one in any other caliber, however. I know, it sounds strange because it is. So, if you own an AK or anything that closely resembles an AK, you'll have to sell it as it won't be allowed.

If you need any specific help, email me. I live just South of you in Enfield.

Rome

I will be moving out of this hellhole known as Springfield (where I am lucky enough to hold a Class A-No restrictions) and headed down just a little south of the border into CT. I have read some of the laws but am looking for opinions on how CT is compared to MA in regards to issuing CCWs, wait times, etc... Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks, BT

Welcome to CT ..

CT is WAY better for CCW issuance. (the law says "may" issue,
but reality is its de-facto shall issue.... )

CT is way better for handguns (no AG reg bs) but the rifles
can be an issue with their dumb, byzantine, hard to understand, AW
ban. (it has oddities in it like 7.62 x 39 AKs not being legal but
5.45 x 39 ones are, other bizarre shit like that).

I'd say overall its an order of magnitude less lame, but I'd still
qualify CT as an anti state due to the presence of the
AW ban. It would be a a step up for many MA residents,
though.

-Mike

If you have the time an opportunity, it would be much easier to get your CT permit while you are an out of stater than to get it once you are here. If you file for it from Mass you will save time and money.

In most instance, I can almost guarantee you you will have a better chance of getting a license in CT better than Springfield. Springfield takes you approximately 3 months. I got my town license for Windsor, CT in less than 4 weeks and I picked up my state license in a matter of ten minutes after I showed them my town permit at the State Trooper's Headquarters down in exit 29 on I91. I have little experience on a lot of things but I do have a permit in both states. Which town are you getting it in?

Thanks for the info and links folks! I am now a happy resident of a quiet and family friendly area of Enfield. Being out of Springfield makes every day seem like Christmas. I'll be switching my drivers license on Monday and then going to see about my gun license. I've got a copy of my certificate from the Gun Safety course and I hope all goes smoothly...

Application for a permit is relatively easy and painless. Like MASS, we require a training certificate from an NRA sanctioned instructor. If you have your MASS license, however, you've got that already.

Rome

Not necessarily! I don't have a training certificate from anyone. Except
for a hunter safety course I took 22 years ago.

Thanks for the info and links folks! I am now a happy resident of a quiet and family friendly area of Enfield. Being out of Springfield makes every day seem like Christmas. I'll be switching my drivers license on Monday and then going to see about my gun license. I've got a copy of my certificate from the Gun Safety course and I hope all goes smoothly...

Welcome to CT.Despite what SOME people say,you should have no trouble at all getting your CT carry permit.With the exception of the "assault weapons ban" here this is a fairly non-anti state.Yes the ban sucks but you can still have hi-cap mags,ar's,machine guns and suppressors and many more model handguns than Mass. will ever allow so it is def. a step up.Slowly all you cool guys from Mass. are moving to "better" gun states.Maybe they will get the freakin hint when you're all goneand it's just sheep left![smile]

You also need a carry permit to even take your handgun out of your house AT ALL.

Nope, not true AT ALL. No carry permit needed to attend formal training (not range practice), driving it into the state when moving to CT, driving it to another residence in CT if you move, taking it to a gunsmith for repair, going to sanctioned competitions. People need to read the damned laws and get it right before spouting off incorrect info. Some of the stuff I've seen on here would cause people to get felonies if they followed that "advice" and got caught. [angry]

Guns for sale - No handgun nonsense limiting models like in MA.

Actually, there is an obscure ban on pistols that have the magazine outside of the pistol grip and have a manufactured weight of 50 or more oz. So, no AR or AK pistols. Even the Kel-Tec PLR-16 weighs 51 oz, so it's not legal here, either. [rolleyes]

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

Last edited:
As mentioned above, we still do have an AWB (although pre-bans get around a lot of that nonsense)

How does a pre-ban help? I thought all weapons owned when the ban went into effect were supposed to be registered and you were prohibited from transferring them. I guess it helps a bit if you already had one. But what about the rest of us?

Depending on what town you move to, the PD might require three letters of reference. Do NOT do this as a town can NOT require anything more restrictive than the state (pre-emption) and, according to the BFPE (the people that issue permits), not providing them can NOT cause a denial or delay in the issuance of a permit. It's just a bullshit scare tactic technique that adds another level of complexity in the hopes that people won't get their permits because it's too much of a PITA. After all, in my case, when I was a new resident, whom did I know well enough that they would write a letter endorsing a guy to carry firearms concealed whom they barely knew? All I knew at the time was a few neighbors and co-workers and they, at the time, were the LAST people I wanted knowing I owned firearms. Can't use relatives.

Here's another tip. They want your boss's name and phone number on the application. Since the spot after your boss's name only says "office phone", I gave them my number. That way they wouldn't my boss wouldn't get a call out of the blue regarding a new employee from the state police asking about firearms. If they called me, I'd tell them he was busy and to call back later. That way, I could pull him aside and discretely explain why he'd getting a call from the state police about me. But, they never called...no voice mail. Anyone had their place of employment called when applying?

As for the training certificate, if you're prior military, a DD-214 will work. I used my years old certificate from the class I did at Gunsite in Arizona. Worked just fine.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, we still do have an AWB (although pre-bans get around a lot of that nonsense)

Be careful there, especially with pre-ban ARs and AKs (in 7.62) because you had to REGISTER them within a certain time after the ban and that expired long ago. ZERO way to legally own on in CT now. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom