Creative ideas for targets

You can only shoot at paper for so many consecutive range trips. Who has some creative, relatively inexpensive, target ideas? Suggestions welcome.

Shaving cream cans are excellent if you have a private range or if people are cool with it where you shoot. It evaporates/dries out pretty quick and makes the range smell good when you're done too. [wink]

Oh, almost forgot, charcoal is good too. Makes a black puff of smoke when you get a solid hit, breaks down into the dirt pretty quick, MUCH faster than clays.

These are pretty fun center fire pistol swingers I build.

IMG_8668.jpg

Barbie Doll heads, my daughter has this thing with pulling them off and only playing with the bodies. Now that I type it out I should probably get her some shrink time....

Laundry bottle hung from a tent spike. See how long you can keep it in motion. The key is to hit just under the bottle. Which is hard when it is moving.

For safety, the bottle should never reach lower than a foot from the bottom of the berm, and never shoot if it is above the halfway point.

Telepathically uploaded via Google implants.

My neighbor is a Iron worker and has been teaching my how to weld. I've made a couple knock downs and one swinger with 4 plates. WAY more fun than shooting paper!!

Last edited:
A favorite we have done several years is to go to Home Depot the day after Xmas and buy the lawn sculpture reindeer, Santa's and elves and put a tannerite charge in them set them at 200 yards in a quarry and get a half dozen guys for a shoot the week between Xmas and New Years when everyone is off.

On the cheap, I've seen people use graphing paper as targets. For me im a server guy and have a shit load of old scsi drives that i cannot throw out unless the data has been destroyed. Nothing like 7.62 for data destruction

time - It's not how tight the group is on paper, its how quickly you can make the tight group...

What distance? push the paper out to max distance the range allows. Accuracy at any distance - every distance out to max range - Do you know what your pistol is regulated for?

El Prez is one drill to start with

I had a woman who was a hair dresser show some real interest and talent in shooting after I gave her and some other "clippers" a basic handgun class.

We met to shoot and she pulled out a half dozen "heads" that she and her friends had used the previous week in NY for practice durring some training. We had a blast wacking them.

The 12 Ga was all about energy transfer.

Don

p.s. This was done in CT. I'm guessing shooting at fake human heads with a suppressed gun (look closely) is illegal in MA. Everything is illegal in MA.

Its hard to believe I got paid for doing that class. . sigh.

66488_3617195398473_1024062683_n_zps04da9fe2.jpg

Think about things you throw away every day. We have cats(not for targets) so there is always a supply of cat food cans in the recycling bin. I forgot what site this one came from but take a 2 x 4 and cut a groove down the length of it and you can wedge saltine crackers in the groove. One box will give you a good supply of targets and the animals will clean up the crumbs overnight.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom