• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Creative ideas for targets

[cerberus];3048693 said:
These are pretty fun center fire pistol swingers I build.

IMG_8668.jpg

Just ordered a set of these, can't wait to try 'em out!

I save all of my bottles over 16oz in size and fill them with water (at longer ranged i use food coloring for better sight)

I also use the minikegs like the Newcastle ones. On the rifle range with a 22.lr the target wont move and pings every time

I just got my .460 back from S&W. I'm dying to shoot it at something that will go splat or a water bottle or something. Soon. I just got some of the Hornady 200 GR hollow points. They go out at something ridiculous like 2400 fps.

I tried something yesterday that didn't quite work out... I glued regular marshmallows to the sides of 1"x2"x5' board. They are almost exactly 1 MOA at 100 yards. I was expecting "splat" when they got hit with a .223 varmint bullet at 3200fps. Nope. The bullets drilled/burned a clean hole through the marshmallows. The exit hole was the same size as the entry. Bummer.

I'm a huge fan of shooting steel. A visceral confirmation of a hit, reusable, and you can blast away without having to reset it.

I've been able to pick up 4 cut-offs from Steel I beams. I simply put them on the ground and shoot. Non-magnum pistol rounds only.

Don

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...03x403/576800_597837300245849_497899945_n.jpg

go to every store you can and buy up all the plastic eggs you can find. also plastic golf balls and little rubber ducs and rubber chicks you can find. Hot glue them onto golf tees. You can either stick them in the round or my buddy drilled holes in a 2x4 and stuck the golf tee's in the holes so all the targets were in a nice straight line. Most of the time the targets go flying and the tee's stay in the board. You can reuse the golf balls and rubber toys but the eggs usually shatter. I also recommend filling the eggs with talcom powder or tannerite for those places that allow it.

I also buy decks of cards at the dollar store. we shuffle them and staple 26 to 2 different pieces of plywood and we each get 30 seconds to shoot 5 cards to make the best hand and then compare. after the cards are shot you take a marker and put a big black x through it so it cant be shot and used again.

also macdonalds ketchup packets and taco bell hot sauce packets stapled to a piece of plywood.... they go pop.

I've been a big fan of used golf balls. They're 1 2/3" in diameter and react to a hit by turning into a little white dust cloud.

If you drill a 1/2" hold into a board, they will sit in place except on a near miss (which can knock them down) or a direct hit (which turns them into dust clouds)

You can also drill 3/16" holds and press standard golf tees into the holder to raise them up a little.

Visit a local driving range and ask if they sell buckets of "retired" golf balls (balls so beaten and busted even the driving range doesn't want to hand them out) or a local golf course and ask if they have water hazard balls available for sale.

if you want improved visibility, you can hit them with a little spray paint before you set them up.

You can also drill a hole through them (or screw in an eyehook) to hang them from a horizontal bar, which can cause them to swing a little, making them even more fun to shoot at.

The 1" kids sidewalk chalk is another fun reactive target to shoot at.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...03x403/576800_597837300245849_497899945_n.jpg

go to every store you can and buy up all the plastic eggs you can find. also plastic golf balls and little rubber ducs and rubber chicks you can find. Hot glue them onto golf tees. You can either stick them in the round or my buddy drilled holes in a 2x4 and stuck the golf tee's in the holes so all the targets were in a nice straight line. Most of the time the targets go flying and the tee's stay in the board. You can reuse the golf balls and rubber toys but the eggs usually shatter. I also recommend filling the eggs with talcom powder or tannerite for those places that allow it.

I also buy decks of cards at the dollar store. we shuffle them and staple 26 to 2 different pieces of plywood and we each get 30 seconds to shoot 5 cards to make the best hand and then compare. after the cards are shot you take a marker and put a big black x through it so it cant be shot and used again.

also macdonalds ketchup packets and taco bell hot sauce packets stapled to a piece of plywood.... they go pop.

For playing sniper poker, instead of a sheet of plywood, get 2 sheets of corragated cardboard (rotate so the corragations are 90 degrees out from each other) that you can put into a wood frame. It's a lot cheaper to replace the cardboard than it is to replace sheets of plywood.

And plastic eggs filled with talcum powder are also pretty effective.

I had a woman who was a hair dresser show some real interest and talent in shooting after I gave her and some other "clippers" a basic handgun class.

We met to shoot and she pulled out a half dozen "heads" that she and her friends had used the previous week in NY for practice durring some training. We had a blast wacking them.

The 12 Ga was all about energy transfer.

Don

p.s. This was done in CT. I'm guessing shooting at fake human heads with a suppressed gun (look closely) is illegal in MA. Everything is illegal in MA.

Its hard to believe I got paid for doing that class. . sigh.

66488_3617195398473_1024062683_n_zps04da9fe2.jpg

Tell the one on the left that those cute little feet should have something other than flip flops on while shooting.

[smile]

Well I was at Mardens this weekend ( you Mainers know what that is ) They had plastic practice gold balls for 12 for 99 cents bought 20 bucks worth and tees for them. Will make for great fun this summer.

In a pinch, old circular saw blades, spray paint to your favorite color, suspended from branches with duct tape. Holds up well for an afternoon of shooting in the woods. Rifles will punch through it leaving lots of sharp edges so handle with care when disposing. Great for tossing out the window when being pursued by ninjas.

My work tosses out boxes of flyers. I took some for recycle but decided to place one in the berm. Fired at it from 130yrds with mosin nagant. Now these boxes are 10inches think stuffed with news print. Mosin round went right through and into the sand Couldn't recover the round. So I'll be placing 2 boxes in a row next time.

Some great ideas in this thread. I love golf balls thrown at random distances with my 15-22. Sometimes those suckers pop 20 feet, or more into the air if hit right. Generally I save all of the large laundry detergent jugs to fill with water, old fax machines, or any other crap that I find laying around in the basement that has no other good use. I rarely shoot at paper anymore. Mainly I only setup my target stand with paper when I'm dialing in sights, but that's about it unless I'm on the indoor range with pistols.

My work tosses out boxes of flyers. I took some for recycle but decided to place one in the berm. Fired at it from 130yrds with mosin nagant. Now these boxes are 10inches think stuffed with news print. Mosin round went right through and into the sand Couldn't recover the round. So I'll be placing 2 boxes in a row next time.

Was the paper stacked flat or vertically? If it is flat of course it will sail through.

Back
Top Bottom