Coyote hunting

I don't have anything to offer. I really need to make a more concerted effort to hunt coyotes (as should we all).

I've got all the equipment, a Primos Turbo Dogg electronic call, etc. Just need to make it a priority. I spoke to a bow hunter as he was leaving the woods, and he's seen a few, and I've captured a big one on my trail camera.

Last edited:
My neighbor has been killing turkeys all week, if you want some guts to draw them in. Otherwise, they're getting buried in the garden.

You've got plenty of time.
Find a couple WMAs that stocked pheasant.
What state are you in?
Check out the many instructional vids on YouTube.
You can start with nothing more than lip squeaks or a rabbit distress call.
Get creative with road kills and a couple spots.
Practice barks/howls in the car, basement, etc.
Get your cold weather gear together.
Prepare to be hooked.

You can use bait. Make a couple bait-sickle in a few spots in an area. Get them close to it and call them in.

Baitsickle is a bunch of meat scraps deer scraps dog food etc. frozen with water in a 5 gal bucket or similar
container that they cant carry off.

I have a bunch of deer scraps but if you dont find your locAl whitail butcher im sure you can get some there

Last edited:
If anyone wants some beaver fat mixed with meat, which makes a good coyote bait send me a pm I have a bag of it from fleshing out some beaver this week.

Looking to get out for Coyote this year... Im reading the abstracts and I cant seem to find any reg about wearing orange? Did I miss it or can we stay hidden?

Looking to get out for Coyote this year... Im reading the abstracts and I cant seem to find any reg about wearing orange? Did I miss it or can we stay hidden?

Cotoyes eyes are partially color blind (red green intollerant) and they don't see in great detail during the day so your orange cammo won't stand out to them and won't get you shot in the process

Tonight should be good if the moon comes out. It is still full enough, and there is enough snow to light things up. Trouble is, I'm having trouble finding shotgun ammo. I know you can use slugs or buckshot during deer season, but I don't think at night. I really don't think a .22LR is enough unless you are within 20 yards and can nail a head shot. This all said, my neighbor said our deer spot has tons of coyote tracks. Of course, not tomorrow is Sunday, and Stupidchusetts doesn't allow Sunday hunting.

You need orange only during shotgun deer season (i.e. Now & for another week). Then back to full camo.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

The shotgun deer orange is a necessity.
However you cant use calls, rifles or handguns during that period, and you cant hunt at night.

Muzzleloader is a little vague. I also found a paragraph where it says 500 square inches must be worn during shotgun and muzzleloader. But that was under deer hunting not coyote. Im just not sure where the warden would stand on it.

Tonight should be good if the moon comes out. It is still full enough, and there is enough snow to light things up. Trouble is, I'm having trouble finding shotgun ammo. I know you can use slugs or buckshot during deer season, but I don't think at night. I really don't think a .22LR is enough unless you are within 20 yards and can nail a head shot. This all said, my neighbor said our deer spot has tons of coyote tracks. Of course, not tomorrow is Sunday, and Stupidchusetts doesn't allow Sunday hunting.

Read the regs. No night hunting during shotgun deer season. Hunting hours begin half our before and end half hour after.

Stupid

Good question, in a normal state if you could use electronic calls and bait you would think you could use decoy... probably a felony in MA

I deer hunt a piece of private property in Georgetown that backs up to a WMA and we see sign of coyote all the time. If someone wants a good place to go and is willing to teach me or learn with me I can get permission to go there. I'm sure the homeowners will have no problems considering they killed two of his geese this fall.

Thinking of trying one of those motion rabbit type decoys. Anyone ever use one?.

I have a rabbit decoy that stakes in the ground and wiggles. It's not too usefull when the ground is frozen. I also have a woodperker decoy with a clip on it's foot. It has one wing that spins. In Maine I had this decoy clipped about 3-4 feet above my electronic caller. My partner saw a coyote coming in and took a shot and missed. The coyote only stopped for a minute and then made a bee line straight for the decoy and caller. I nailed him with a clear broadside shot.

I like using a decoy in combination with a caller. Anything that draws the coyote's attention away from you. I've heard some people use only a white feather tied to a branch. Anything that creates movement that could be a small animal.

This Saturday deer hunting is over in NH. I'm hoping to get out there and doing some coyote hunting.

I think I might start taking this up! What do you all do after you kill one? I doubt anyone would eat one, I just want to know what my next step is after one is killed.

In MA, you have to take it to a state check station. After that, you could try to sell the pelt, or, as I plan to do, just bury the ****ing thing, or use it as bait to bring in the next one.

Just read the abstract, so f'ing confusing... mentions handguns and rifles but now where they can be used, can we use buck shot or does it have to be bird shot < or = to .23, later on it does say slugs and buck shot can be used... of course nothing is CLEAR! Thanks

I know one guy that makes stew from the hind quarters. To me if you need to bury the taste of the meat in a stew with veggies and spices it's not worth eating.

I know one guy that makes stew from the hind quarters. To me if you need to bury the taste of the meat in a stew with veggies and spices it's not worth eating.

I don't know about that. Grilled or baked pork shoulder taste like shit. Slowly smoked for 10 hours, pulled, and doused in bbq sauce and it's pretty damn good. [grin]

Just read the abstract, so f'ing confusing... mentions handguns and rifles but now where they can be used, can we use buck shot or does it have to be bird shot < or = to .23, later on it does say slugs and buck shot can be used... of course nothing is CLEAR! Thanks

you cannot use a shot gun to hunt coyotes.. As you cannot be in the woods with buck shot/ slugs unless its shotgun deer season period.. do not pass go yada yada yada

I don't know about that. Grilled or baked pork shoulder taste like shit. Slowly smoked for 10 hours, pulled, and doused in bbq sauce and it's pretty damn good. [grin]

How is the coyote hunting in your neck of the woods? I'm been meaning to broaden my range.

you cannot use a shot gun to hunt coyotes.. As you cannot be in the woods with buck shot/ slugs unless its shotgun deer season period.. do not pass go yada yada yada
This is pulled from Masswildlife

" COYOTE & FOXHunting hours begin ½ hour before sunrise and end at midnight, except 1) on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail during the pheasant and quail season when hunting hours begin at sunrise and end at sunset and 2) when hunting coyote during the shotgun deer season (see below). Coyote and fox may be hunted with shotguns, muzzleloaders and archery, as well as rifles and handguns with special nighttime restrictions (see Hunting Prohibitions). Coyotes may be hunted with shotguns using numbered or lettered birdshot (≤ 0.230 inch pellet diameter), except during the shotgun deer season (see below). Fox may be hunted with numbered birdshot only (≤ 0.160 inch pellet diameter). It is legal to hunt coyote and fox using bait, decoys, electronic or manual calls and dogs. Artificial lights are prohibited. Coyote and fox pelts must be checked/reported within 4 working days of the end of the season (see Trapping). It is legal to hunt coyotes, but not fox, during the shotgun deer season; however the following additional regulations apply:

• Hunting hours begin ½ hour before sunrise and end ½ hour after sunset.
  • Use of manual or electronic calls and dogs are prohibited.
  • Rifles and handguns are prohibited.
  • Shotguns and muzzleloaders loaded with slugs, single balls or buckshot may also be used.
  • Hunters must wear a minimum of 500 square inches of hunter orange on their head, chest and back."
Sounds like you can use shotgun... see this is what confuses me, you say this, he says that, abstracts reads this and that...WTF

sorry shouldn't have said you cannot use a shot gun... you cannot use a buck shot or slugs! except during shot gun deer season.. You can use bird shot! I just know one of the biggest things epo are always looking for is you having buckshot or slugs with you at any point in the woods except for shot gun deer season! they do not play around with this at all!

Back
Top Bottom