coyote hunting invite on craigslist

Hmmm, a bunch of newbie hunters, crowded into 8 acres, hunting at night, What could possibly go wrong?

Newbie??? Thats a bit of a assumption isn't it? I perhaps may not have as many hours as you in the field but I have done my fair share for deer and coyotes. I just don't hunt in mass.

Hmmm, a bunch of newbie hunters, crowded into 8 acres, hunting at night, What could possibly go wrong?

As far as I can tell, only two of us have contacted the landowner and neither has posted a public invite. Where are all these newbies coming from? You gonna join us since you seem to know our plans and location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've hunted coyote before. It is totally legal to use electronic bait calls, they work really well. Also, if you hunt during the daytime, you can use something pretty normal, like .223 (I prefer a bolt action) so that you really have the range to reach out and get things done.

The only real problem is most coyotes are active at night and after dark you can only use a .22 LR for a rifle. I find that for extended distances, this really doesn't have the 1 shot stopping power on a large coyote that you'd hope for unless you make a very clean shot. For this reason, I find that after dark, the MA laws force you to be sort of non-humane... This is why they should allow suppressors, so we can use real calibers and not bother the sleeping little yuppies, and at the same time humanely take out the coyotes.

I've hunted coyote before. It is totally legal to use electronic bait calls, they work really well. Also, if you hunt during the daytime, you can use something pretty normal, like .223 (I prefer a bolt action) so that you really have the range to reach out and get things done.

The only real problem is most coyotes are active at night and after dark you can only use a .22 LR for a rifle. I find that for extended distances, this really doesn't have the 1 shot stopping power on a large coyote that you'd hope for unless you make a very clean shot. For this reason, I find that after dark, the MA laws force you to be sort of non-humane... This is why they should allow suppressors, so we can use real calibers and not bother the sleeping little yuppies, and at the same time humanely take out the coyotes.

Shotgun isn't prohibited. If its at night and you can't use artificial light - you're not going to be able to see farther than a shotgun is effective anyway.

Shotgun isn't prohibited. If its at night and you can't use artificial light - you're not going to be able to see farther than a shotgun is effective anyway.

I've asked this in another thread (twice) but have yet to see a reply: Can you use NON-artificial light? i.e. "fire?" Was thinking of something like a tiki torch out in a field area, with electronic game call + decoy.

I've asked this in another thread (twice) but have yet to see a reply: Can you use NON-artificial light? i.e. "fire?" Was thinking of something like a tiki torch out in a field area, with electronic game call + decoy.

Don't forget the bait.... That's not prohibited either. If you score a deer in the next few days save the gut pile. My interpretation of "artificial light" would be any source of light that nature didn't create. So if a human set a fire/torch then that isn't "natural". But I'm a rookie so I could be off base here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom