coyote hunting 101

Lots of great info here, Coyote hunting is a challenging sport to get into for sure. I Spend a lot of time in the woods hunting deer, turkeys, ducks, geese, etc and coyote hunting is the most challenging by far.

I liken New England coyote hunting to turkey hunting: go in super camouflaged, set up against a tree, and call for 10-20 minutes. If they are there, they will come in, if they cant hear you or are too weary, you might as well just sneak out and try again another day. Get in mind a couple different spots to call from and spend first / last light hitting those spots. I don't use a rifle, just a shotgun when I'm sitting in the woods. If I were to sit in a deer stand or on an elevated hillside, I might bring a rifle to reach out there, but sitting in the woods - a rifle isn't really the right tool IMO.

Deer hunters: if you see a coyote, don't be afraid to make a little animal in distress noise with your mouth - just a squeaky, whining noise - and do it just barely loud enough for him to hear. Only make enough noise so that he barely hears it, then shut up. If he's interested he'll come to investigate. Don't let coyote see ANY movement for sure, they are 10X as observant as a deer and will run for the hills if they catch sight of you sitting in a tree. If he comes in too quick and surprises you, let him pass, get your gun or bow ready and pointed at his direction, and try to gently call him back, it works!!

1. What do you use for shotgun ammo, and where did you get it?

2. That sounds is like the kissing sound you use to call a dog. Just lick the back of your hand and kiss it really loud, kinda.

Since the .22 LR is the largest rifle cartridge allowed after sunset in Massachusetts, I guess that rules out the .22 rimfire magnum.

Does anyone have any experience with the .17HMR?

Since the .22 LR is the largest rifle cartridge allowed after sunset in Massachusetts, I guess that rules out the .22 rimfire magnum. Does anyone have any experience with the .17HMR?
17hmr is a larger cartridge than a 22lr, therefore can't be used after sunset.

That's how it's been explained to me.

"During the period from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, (nighttime hours) rifles are restricted to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle."

17HMR is essentially a necked down 22mag case, therefor it is " chambered" larger than 22LR.

On that whole chambered for note, is 9mm kosher after dark, it's shorter and the same diameter as a 38, kinda a tight squeeze in a 38 chamber but it does fit.

On that whole chambered for note, is 9mm kosher after dark, it's shorter and the same diameter as a 38, kinda a tight squeeze in a 38 chamber but it does fit.

Nope. It's bigger than 22LR

i think he's referring to this..

"Rifles chambered to take ammunition larger than .22 cali- ber long rifle rimfire, and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition larger than .38 caliber, between the hours of 1⁄2 hour after sunset and 1⁄2 hour before sunrise."

i think a 9mm case is slightly larger that a 38 but I very well could be wrong.

Anyways, do you really want to go after a yote at night with a 9mm handgun??

"Rifles chambered to take ammunition larger than .22 cali- ber long rifle rimfire, and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition larger than .38 caliber, between the hours of 1⁄2 hour after sunset and 1⁄2 hour before sunrise."

Yes I was referring to in a pistol, it beats a 38 haha. Makes a good backup to a shotty or 22. Probably every bit as effective or more so than the other night options.

Pistol regs go by caliber, not specific cartridge. 9mm is smaller than .38. Part of the reason my first handgun was a 9 rather than a .40.

Sorry, didn't realize you were talking about handguns, I was thinking of a high point carbine lol. 9mm is a more powerful cartridge than 38 special, but isn't it shorter?

RDG,

I understand what you're saying about the case. I always thought that 'chambered for' includes the projectile in addition to the physical dimensions of the case. The caliber (or diameter) of the projectile is one of the key defining characteristics of a 'chambering'. Only in the context of Massachusetts could this definition make sense. By their logic, the .280 Remington is a larger chambering than the .30-06.

Rant aside - has anyone actually used a .17HMR during legal hours? How did it perform? I ask because I have access to a small bit of thick woods, about 20 acres, and I hesitate to use a .223 in a patch this small.

RDG,

I understand what you're saying about the case. I always thought that 'chambered for' includes the projectile in addition to the physical dimensions of the case. The caliber (or diameter) of the projectile is one of the key defining characteristics of a 'chambering'. Only in the context of Massachusetts could this definition make sense. By their logic, the .280 Remington is a larger chambering than the .30-06.

Rant aside - has anyone actually used a .17HMR during legal hours? How did it perform? I ask because I have access to a small bit of thick woods, about 20 acres, and I hesitate to use a .223 in a patch this small.

If you hesitate to use a 223, then run a shotgun.

RDG,

Don't do it. Need more oomph.

If you hesitate to use a 223, then run a shotgun.

This. Though .17 Remington or .204 Ruger would be better than the .223. ;-)

Last year I was deer hunting. Using the deer in estrus can call ,I called in a coyote instead. I didn't want to kill him but I felt I owed it. To him. Friends of mine occasionally call in totes while calling turkeys.Nasty road kill is also a favorite.

coyote called in, is a dead coyote, afaic. Much to the dismay and pansy-ass woes, coyotes have become a problem.

Back
Top Bottom