coyote hunting 101

so over the past two seasons i have really come to realize that my hunting area which is easily over a 100 acres of semi private land is completely plagued with coyotes . I have heard them .. seen many on camera and have seen a few with my own eyes, and i belive its having a dramatic effect on my hunts .. many people who are on the land tell me often that they are there and bother. So this winter i think im going to invest some time in trying to resolve the problem with my 223. But i dont know ANYTHING about hunting them . I was honestly going to freeze chickens in ice blocks and throw them in the field and wait ... or get an electronic caller or something ... and basics you guys can hep me out with ? thanks ~ Augustus

Last year I was deer hunting. Using the deer in estrus can call ,I called in a coyote instead. I didn't want to kill him but I felt I owed it. To him. Friends of mine occasionally call in totes while calling turkeys.Nasty road kill is also a favorite.

I've gone a few times in Maine - never was able to get them to come in. They were out there but very wary in the wood line.

Sitting and baiting works, but effectiveness depends on how hungry they are. If the winter is cold and snowy, and food is sparse, baiting may work great (though you still may want to augment by calling them in). Calling works too, I was surprised. I got this ******* this last weekend:

20141027_131638_resized.jpg

On my first set last season, I had one come into a e-caller. I'd never seen a coyote while hunting, and wasn't expecting it to come trotting in so quickly. I wasn't prepared to take a shot, before he busted me. Later in the season, I set up a baitcicle, just to see. I didn't invest much time hunting over it, but the camera captured a lot of activity, from coyotes, to foxes, to raccoons, and even crows. The activity around it became almost clock-like, within about a week. I'll be back at it come January; calling during the day, and trying the bait by night (if there's snow cover).

You guys are getting me excited to do this. Maybe I'll pass on grouse this friday and try coyote. Any particular time you guys suggest? I already have an electronic caller

I've been interested in Coyote hunting but have wondered, What will I do with it once i've killed it? What do you guys use them for? I'd hate to just waste an entire animal just because it's considered a pest.

I dumped one last week while I was deer hunting. The bonus is that it was a female. Hopefully a few more fawns survive in the spring.

20141025_102112_zpsr5rh1m91.jpg

I was shocked at the exit hole the Rage Broad head made.

20141025_102330_zpsyd2eef6c.jpg

A good way to get started with little investment is to pick up a Bluetooth speaker and down load some free apps for your cell.

Bob

I dumped one last week while I was deer hunting. The bonus is that it was a female. Hopefully a few more fawns survive in the spring.

20141025_102112_zpsr5rh1m91.jpg

I was shocked at the exit hole the Rage Broad head made.

20141025_102330_zpsyd2eef6c.jpg

A good way to get started with little investment is to pick up a Bluetooth speaker and down load some free apps for your cell.

Bob

+1

Since this is a 101 thread, I will ask again for a more in depth answer.

What CAN you do with them after you shoot them?
I have a ton of these pests in my area too, but by the books: how do you properly dispose of the carcass after you've killed it? (yes I'm a hunting newb, no license, but would like to take a course and get one)

You can take the pelt and tan it. I think there was a link in Cefur's beginning guide to hunting that listed a taxidermist that will take the hide from you for free, or you can pay him to tan it.

You can also sell the pelts too, some places will pay decent money if you don't mangle it too bad (this may affect your choice of hunting platform as well). Plan on dressing and skinning them for this purpose, but that isn't too bad with a 30 lb animal.

Since this is a 101 thread, I will ask again for a more in depth answer.

What CAN you do with them after you shoot them?
I have a ton of these pests in my area too, but by the books: how do you properly dispose of the carcass after you've killed it? (yes I'm a hunting newb, no license, but would like to take a course and get one)

Texashuntered.com to get your hunters safety class down soon. You will not get into a mass class at this point in the season. It's $15 and it's good to get a hunting license in any state. Completely online. And you can do it at your leisure. Wife did hers over two days.

I was thinking of using any pelts for rugs. Why not. Or you could have em stuffed.

Something that is often overlooked is how long to sit and call. Those dogs are smart. If you call in one spot for too long, 30 mins or so, they will learn the sound of your call as a threat. Pick a spot, call for 20 mins, move at least 1/4 mile away, rinse, repeat. Having two people helps, one looking into the wind and one looking opposite. They will circle around you if they get suspicious. For some real fun, wait for a big full moon and a fresh blanket of snow. It gets pretty bright. Their food is buried and they are hungry. Hungry dogs will run to a call, you better be quick.

The question keeps comming up on what to do with them. Locate your local trappers association, they will have a point of contact or fur buyer they use. Or, if you want them to go to some use, just give them to a trapper, ask him how he would like them prepared so your not giving him a skunky worthless pelt. I found a trappers club through a gun range in Maine when I was up there. Turned out there was a trapper who lived just minutes from me. All he asked was that if it was a fresh kill, simply swing by and drop it off in his chest freezer on the side of his garage. I did, and after a few it turned into a case of beer every other week when I would drop off dogs from that days hunt. He processed them and I think he said he would get 25.00 for fleshed green pelts. Fine with me, I was having fun and someone benifited from it. Win win. OP, I have a book on basic predator hunting I'll send you if you want it. Its an older book but a fun and interesting read on all aspects of predator hunting, including many species found up here in NE.

Something that is often overlooked is how long to sit and call. Those dogs are smart. If you call in one spot for too long, 30 mins or so, they will learn the sound of your call as a threat. Pick a spot, call for 20 mins, move at least 1/4 mile away, rinse, repeat. Having two people helps, one looking into the wind and one looking opposite. They will circle around you if they get suspicious. For some real fun, wait for a big full moon and a fresh blanket of snow. It gets pretty bright. Their food is buried and they are hungry. Hungry dogs will run to a call, you better be quick.

Absolutely, the fun thig about predator hunting is that it doesn't really get boring. I'll sit on a stand for 20 minutes or so, and then reloacate, sit another 20 and so on. Calling too much, too loud, for too long is an oft made mistake. You'll be suprised at how you can call in a predator with a subtle mouse squeeker. Consider the areas you call in also, tight woods require softer sounds. Predators are effective hunters, and smart, they can hear very well. Out west, you might need to hit them with a high volume call to cover the hills and plains, but out here, I start with an E-caller, and start off with soft subtle sounds and increase the volume as the set wears on. Google varmint Als hunting pages for a one stop spot for everything varmint/predator hunting.

Odd, but a woodpecker or lark in distress has been the most successful for me. There needs to be that species in the area for it to generate the most interest. Using a cottontail in distress call where there are few cottontails isnt too productive. Hunting tighter spots close to homes, a housecat in distress is great.

I've been interested in Coyote hunting but have wondered, What will I do with it once i've killed it? What do you guys use them for? I'd hate to just waste an entire animal just because it's considered a pest.
Makes a nice rug or throw or even wall hanger, if you use .17 or don't mind some sewing.

Back
Top Bottom