Coyote AR build ideas?

You may want to order up one or two 5 round mags for hunting. Normally you won't find them on the dealers shelves. I got the Bushmaster mags and they work well in my Rock River AR's. The 5 round is more comfortable shooting from a bench.

Is there a law against hunting with more than 5? How does "shooting from a bench" come into play in New England coyote hunting?

Is there a law against hunting with more than 5? How does "shooting from a bench" come into play in New England coyote hunting?

http://www.eregulations.com/maine/hunting/firearms-laws/

"Auto-loading firearm

(A firearm which reloads itself after each shot and requires a separate trigger pull for each shot.)

It is unlawful to hunt with or possess for hunting any auto-loading firearm which has a magazine capacity of more than 5 cartridges (plus 1 in the chamber for a total of 6), unless the magazine has been permanently altered to contain not more than 5 cartridges. (Note: This provision does not apply to .22 caliber rimfire guns or to auto-loading pistols with barrel lengths of less than 8 inches.)"

------------------------------

With regard to shooting off a bench, I'm thinking he meant other than hunting. Unless you're stacking sand bags, those 30-rounders would be a tough fit.

At night (till midnight) rifles chambered to take larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire are prohibited
That explains the interest in .204 Ruger. NH night hunting season starts January 1st; in NH the rules are slightly different; lights and bait are OK, and in towns with firearm deer restrictions rifles must be .22 rimfire for night hunting.

Any prep/use concerns or recommendations for AR use in extreme cold & wet (snow) environments?
Along with what Shmittey said about lubricant, there are the usual concerns about keeping the barrel clear. With rimfire, be careful in ammo selection -- the primer compound in some brands is unreliable in the cold.

1) .204 Ruger is larger than any rimfire.

2) Don't use rimfire on coyote, unless it is within 20 yards and a head shot. Stick with the shotgun.

Re: optics

I went ahead and ordered the Nikon M-223 4-16x42. If I find it too tight for close in shots, I'll have to get another rifle/upper for it.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

What I would really like to find is something like 2x-4x 30mm body and primary, under $200. I don't need super zoom, 4x is about max, but would prefer the smaller size of 30mm max "bell" and the 30mm body would allow maximum light through for dawn/dusk shots.

What I would really like to find is something like 2x-4x 30mm body and primary, under $200. I don't need super zoom, 4x is about max, but would prefer the smaller size of 30mm max "bell" and the 30mm body would allow maximum light through for dawn/dusk shots.

I swapped my Nikon Prostaff Shotgun Hunter (2-7x32 Nikoplex) onto my carbine AR, with cheap Weaver rings on risers. There's room to reach the charging handle, but I haven't used it while wearing gloves.

View attachment 50415

Just picked up a 10/22 takedown for the PM hunting. I'm just about ready to get out in the woods but I never got any varmint ammo before all hell broke loose... Anyone willing to part with 3 boxes?

I've got a stripped receiver due in, and am thinking of topping it with a .204 Ruger upper. Any suggestions? I don't need to break the bank on this, as it won't be a range gun and shots will be under 200 yds.

Just picked up a 10/22 takedown for the PM hunting. I'm just about ready to get out in the woods but I never got any varmint ammo before all hell broke loose... Anyone willing to part with 3 boxes?

Leave the rimfire at home. If you want to night hunt, bring a shotgun.

I've got a stripped receiver due in, and am thinking of topping it with a .204 Ruger upper. Any suggestions? I don't need to break the bank on this, as it won't be a range gun and shots will be under 200 yds.

Sounds good. Remember, no artificial lighting, so bright optics are key.

.22 lr and shotgun (no slugs and no buckshot)

no rifles at night

My trouble is, I can't find the F or BB shot which is what you want for shotgun!

Last edited:
Unfortunately my only shotgun is a rifled barrel dedicated slug gun, savage 220. My dad spotted a big grey fox last night, Im going to try and get him this weekend... we'll see how this goes.

My yote rifle built 2 years ago. This is a custom built by me ar in .204 Ruger and is a yote killin machine. 100 to 300 yards same zero. Devastating on yotes.

DSC_8109.jpg

That is sick! What is needed to convert to .204? Barrel, bolt carrier, mags? All of the above?

Sent from my rotary phone using Forum Runner

Seems like now is the worst possible time to look for barrels. best I can come up with is a minimum 20 week lead time on .204 ruger. Maybe for next season.

I was looking at that one, seems to be the only one that comes with a bolt... I was talking with White Oak and I think I am going that route... Though .20 practical would make my life way easier, seems to be made out of Unubtainium [frown]

Back
Top Bottom