Coyote AR build ideas?

I am going to be building a dedicated Coyote/varmint AR... I have a general idea, 18"-20" cant decide on stainless or other options, Muzzle device?, Lightweight-ish, 1/7" Twist for a heavy round. Probably a Ace stock or A2. I have a Magpul PRS in FDE but I think that may be too heavy for what I want... the FDE would work for me though.

Anyone want to post up some pics/specs of their rigs? Any suggestions welcome...

This is kind of where I am thinking, the 20" http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=387

This just finished DGW / DPMS 20" stainless bull barrel sucker is pretty heavy...and now we have gone beyond our range by adding the Nikon 3x12x42SF BDC and Magpul PRS stock. It is solid as a tank for bench shooting. 12.4 lbs!

u6y5ebu7.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354462343.947537.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354462343.947537.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
This has been asked before:
  1. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...on-about-270?p=1203152&viewfull=1#post1203152
  2. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ard-a3-upper?p=2187426&viewfull=1#post2187426
  3. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...y-vewy-quiet?p=2357419&viewfull=1#post2357419
  4. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/50527-Looking-for-a-coyote-rifle
  5. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/50106-coyote-hunters-check-in-here!
  6. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/118505-What-is-the-best-gun-for-predator-hunting

You should look into the .204 Ruger if you want to stay with store bought factory ammunition. If you want something in a .223 case, check out the .223/17 or the .20 VarTarg or the .20 Practical. The .19 Calhoons are also cool.

If I ever get the money and have a reloading setup, I lean toward the .20 Practical since brass is more available, and it is easiest to do.

Last edited:
ar15_7.jpg ar15_3.jpg ar15_4.jpg Yeah - you don't need to be throwing 69 - 77 grain bullets downrange. 45 - 62 is more than enough for a yote, is much more readily available and more reasonably priced when you do.

My build has a RRA Predator Pursuit upper. It's *made* for shooting coyotes (they also have a 'coyote carbine' model upper).

It has a 20" heavy SS 1:8 barrel with target crown. free float tube.

Geissele SSA trigger.

3-12x42 Nikon M223 scope

Using either 53gr Superformance varmint or 55 grain V-Max (or ZombieMax) I shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I've tried the heavier Federal "match grade" ammo and it's no more accurate.

Last edited:
I found a dealer black bear sporting goods who had great pricing. The 4-16x42 came out right after I got mine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

The Nikon Monarch 4x16 or the M308?

Right now...I don't need the added range. The Monarch is about the same price, but the M308 is another $100 on top. Right now I am just used to 3x9 anyway...

They make an M223 in 4-16x zoom now. When I got mine, the 3-12x42 was the best they had.

I was just pointing out this place has great prices. Easily $50 less than anywhere else:

http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.c...rching=Y&sort=5&cat=1039&brand=NIKON&show=180

You are so right...couple of clicks on my mouse and I cancelled my order @ Amazon and picked up the M223 3x12x42SF BDC from Black Bear.

With upgrade shipping...still saved another 37 bucks from the big A. With that...total build including sight < $1,300.

Thanks Stevie P.!

Yup I shopped around a lot. They must have some seriously low overhead to beat the prices from Amazon.

I have the same M223 3-12x42 BDC600 scope, on the RRA scope mount. I like the RRA mount much better than the Nikon one. Much sturdier.

So I ended up with 2 setups, I wanted a 20" upper so I got the YHM lightweight upper for one of my lowers...

I also ended up falling for a Colt Competition Rifle "Expert" complete rifle... 18" match 1/8" with comp, great Np3 coated trigger group...

Cant wait to get to the range and see what they can do.

Anyone have a low damage commercial round that they recommend for a yote that wont destroy the pelt? Dont have the reloading setup as of yet but once we get everything I will make my own.

I don't know about damage or not (yet), but the Hornady Superformance Varmint 53 gr V-Max is very very accurate, and highly recommended by the likes of Fred Eichler, Les Johnson, and many other coyote hunters.

I get 3/4" 100 yard five-shot groups with it out of my AR.

superformance_100_yd.jpg

^ Those four are just under 9/16th center-to-center. Farthest bottom-left to farthest right is 7/8ths of an inch. I am *not* a particularly experienced shooter.

superformance_53gr_200yd.jpg

^ 200 yards. First shot was the high one. The one at 5 o'clock is shot #2 (overcorrected). The rest were, well, the rest. Certainly "minute of yote" at 200 yards.

This just finished DGW / DPMS 20" stainless bull barrel sucker is pretty heavy...and now we have gone beyond our range by adding the Nikon 3x12x42SF BDC. It is solid as a tank for bench shooting:

8yvaza9y.jpg

You know that scope mount is attached ass-backwards, right? If that's the Nikon mount, it has 20MOA of elevation built into it, so if you've got it backwards you'll get the opposite result. You really want to turn it around and re-mount your scope to push the scope forward for more eye relief and out of the way of the charging handle, etc.

Last edited:
The .17's, .19's, and .20 calibers are the preferred way to go if you want fur.

Plenty of western fur takers use .223, or even .243 for that matter? There're a lot of variables at play there. And their dogs are smaller.

Since I don't have the means to acquire task-specific build for every situation & need, I plan on building up a .223 AR for coyote, for its versatility.

Good thread!

You know that scope mount is attached ass-backwards, right? If that's the Nikon mount, it has 20MOA of elevation built into it, so if you've got it backwards you'll get the opposite result. You really want to turn it around and re-mount your scope to push the scope forward for more eye relief and out of the way of the charging handle, etc.

Thanks! We caught it and reversed it...much better now...we had not even been to the range with it and would have had a hell of a time dialing it in....I hope to be there this afternoon to try out the new scope and a new Harris bipod...the first bipod already broke before ever seeing the light of day.

Also added a larger Gunfighter charging handle.

This is one heavy gun.

7yta2eda.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
In the abstract it says that during the day you can use a shotgun with pellets equal to or less than .230 inches in diameter (page 44). At night (till midnight) rifles chambered to take larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire are prohibited (page 34). Where does it indicate that you can use a rifle chambered in .223, believe me I would love to know because I have one that I would love to use. Thanks for any help.

In the abstract it says that during the day you can use a shotgun with pellets equal to or less than .230 inches in diameter (page 44). At night (till midnight) rifles chambered to take larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire are prohibited (page 34). Where does it indicate that you can use a rifle chambered in .223, believe me I would love to know because I have one that I would love to use. Thanks for any help.

This is pulled from Masswildlife

" COYOTE & FOXHunting hours begin ½ hour before sunrise and end at midnight, except 1) on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail during the pheasant and quail season when hunting hours begin at sunrise and end at sunset and 2) when hunting coyote during the shotgun deer season (see below). Coyote and fox may be hunted with shotguns, muzzleloaders and archery, as well as rifles and handguns with special nighttime restrictions (see Hunting Prohibitions). Coyotes may be hunted with shotguns using numbered or lettered birdshot (≤ 0.230 inch pellet diameter), except during the shotgun deer season (see below). Fox may be hunted with numbered birdshot only (≤ 0.160 inch pellet diameter). It is legal to hunt coyote and fox using bait, decoys, electronic or manual calls and dogs. Artificial lights are prohibited. Coyote and fox pelts must be checked/reported within 4 working days of the end of the season (see Trapping). It is legal to hunt coyotes, but not fox, during the shotgun deer season; however the following additional regulations apply:

Hunting hours begin ½ hour before sunrise and end ½ hour after sunset.
Use of manual or electronic calls and dogs are prohibited.
Rifles and handguns are prohibited.
Shotguns and muzzleloaders loaded with slugs, single balls or buckshot may also be used.
Hunters must wear a minimum of 500 square inches of hunter orange on their head, chest and back."

============================

IOW - during the day, you can use rifles, handguns, archery, or shotguns, but if using a rifle at night, it can be .22LR max.

Last edited:
With rifles & parts drying up, my plan for a build just got revamped. I picked up a Windham Weaponry Varmint Exterminator this morning. After I add a sling and an optic, it's pretty much done.

Good call on the WW. Great gun for the money.

Thanks for the Black bear sporting goods link, best deal on that scope anywhere. Will be here Friday, then I'm ready to get some fur.

Just got back from range... I'm happy with a bolt gun that shoots 1"a at 100yd let alone an AR ... To say I'm pleased is an under statement.

I'd think a bipod for coyote is a bit odd. Wouldn't you want light weight and quick swing times? Those suckers show up from every direction, and fast.

Any prep/use concerns or recommendations for AR use in extreme cold & wet (snow) environments?

I found that the heavy lube I was using this summer (wilson combat grease) caused feeding problems and slow cycling, this past weekend@ 28F. Cleaned and applied some clp and had no more issues. Lighter the better for the cold.

Sent from my rotary phone using Forum Runner

You may want to order up one or two 5 round mags for hunting. Normally you won't find them on the dealers shelves. I got the Bushmaster mags and they work well in my Rock River AR's. The 5 round is more comfortable shooting from a bench.

Back
Top Bottom