Coyote AR build ideas?

Finally got around to getting the scope dialed in today while breaking in my new rifle. I'd used a Wheeler Engineering laser bore sighter for initial setup, and it put me on paper within three inches of POA @ 50yds. I started out with Federal 55gr FMJBT, and was not getting very tight groups. The rifle was new, and I to it, so I didn't think too much of it. After I was happy with the scope settings @ 100yds, I ran a group of Hornady 55gr VMAX through it. Much, MUCH better. And while it's not a "build," I'm happy with my store bought gun.

The Nikon M223 4-16x42 did let me get away without using a spotting scope. But at max zoom, alignment with the pupil is much more critical. The side focus came in very handy. I've got it zero'd @ 100 yds, but didn't try the Rapid Action Turret. Next time, I'll see how it hits @ 200 yds.

View attachment 53747

Last edited:
.22 lr and shotgun (no slugs and no buckshot)

no rifles at night

My trouble is, I can't find the F or BB shot which is what you want for shotgun!
The Remington Ultimate Home Defense is 2 3/4" BB. They also make some goose loads with BB sized shot, in 3". I'd be surprised if BassPro doesn't have one or the other.

There is no "BassPro" anywhere near me. I have not yet found a local shop that carries anything in BB, B, F, or even close. The closest I found was maybe 4 shot, but that was a 3 or 3 1/2 inch shell. I need 2 3/4. Shops I've checked: H-S, Pullman, Bob's, Walmart, Dick's.

The heaviest coyote shotgun ammo i could find was at BassPro in Foxborough. There you can buy the "Hevi-Shot" brand "dead coyote" ammo for $55 for a box of 10 3-inch "T" sized shells, or go with what i got, which was Remington's 3" goose shells in the same T size - which was about $20 for a box of 25. Same velocity, same pellets, just in steel - not lead.

I know the impact ballistics on Hevi-Shot pellets is superior to steel, but I think at 30 yards, 3" steel T pellets are gonna do the trick to a 35 pound yote.

Not to rain on you guys' rifle parade, but if youre hunting in new england, i personally wouldnt over think the rifle part too much, i think just getting close to a coyote is gonna be your greatest problem. the coyotes in new england ive killed were shot at 30 yards, in the woods, not across huge praries with varmint rifles. They are super alert predators that almost always avoid putting themselves in compromising positions, especially open fields. When i try to call them in, i never see them coming out into the open for a rifle shot, i have only got them in the woods with shotguns. My buddy always drags his rifle out and calls at fields, but he has yet to see one. I bring my shotgun and go in quiet and set up like im turkey hunting, and have had a bit if sucess.

as they say, "JMHO"

Good luck guys

Not to rain on you guys' rifle parade, but if youre hunting in new england, i personally wouldnt over think the rifle part too much, i think just getting close to a coyote is gonna be your greatest problem.

No rain here on my rifle. Understood about the justification. But manufacturing "reasons" to own another gun is something I don't seem to have a problem with. I do have some plans for longish setups (150-200 yds), but I know full well that I'd be extremely lucky to get a shot. I've seen much more coyote sign in thick woods, but haven't seen one yet. I have seen them at the edges of fields though, when I wasn't prepared. I'm still very new at the coyote thing.

I've also got a shotgun setup with goose loads, but do not have confidence in its lethality beyond 30 yards. I plan to work on patterning some Hevi shot & choke tubes, but that won't happen before the end of this season. Going to try my luck at night with it during the coming full moon.

Im not expecting any long range shots. I plan on using my deer stands and shooting lanes for Coyote (if I can ever get out in the woods). Not hitting too high at close range

yeah, i wouldnt take any 50 yard shots on coyotes with birdshot either, i think it would probably kill it, but it might turn into a prolonged death and thats not what i want to see happen The last one i shot was about 25-30 yards and it fell over dead right there.
Buckshot will kill em right off, but i think u can only use buckshot during deer shotgun season.
Ive tried the deer stands as well, but havent had any luck w that yet.

Midways has a great sale on Bushnell Tactical scopes. I have a Bushnell AR/223 Tactical in 4.5-18x40mm scope and highly recommend it. Look here:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=10598954#post10598954

This is the upper I put on top of my Colt lower with a Geisseie SSA-E trigger. I also had WOA Flute the barrel to save some weight. With a fully loaded 20 round magazine it perfectly balance just in front of the magazine. With Sierra 65 grain Game Kings 100 yard five shot groups less than 1/2" and 69 grain Match Kings make 3/8" five shot groups reloaded with Varget.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sh...nt-uppers/18-varmint-upper-223-5-56-1193.html

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=8483737#post8483737

Last edited:
Do you have 20-Cal Fever? Do you yearn to see what a 4200+ fps projectile can do to an unsuspecting prairie dog? Well you could go out and purchase a 204 Ruger rifle, fork over the money for a new, complete die set, and hope that the brass is in stock. Warren B (aka "Fireball") has a more cost-effective solution. If you have .223 Rem dies and brass, all you need to shoot the 20 Practical is a new barrel and a .230" bushing to neck down your .223 cases. Warren's wildcat is simple, easy, and economical. And the 20 Practical matches the performance of the highly-publicized 20 Tactical with less money invested and no need to buy forming dies or fire-form cases. Warren's cartridge was aptly named. Practical it is.

full article:
Warren's 4200 FPS "20 Practical"

Just Neck Down Your .223s for 4K Velocities the Easy, Cost-Effective Way

fireballarx310.jpg

fireballtacpracx275.jpg

I went with a 16 inch YHM target crown screwed onto an old DPMS upper, and a 1-4 Leupold. For my needs a light compact carbine is a big plus when trying to thread your way thru the puckerbrush at 4 A.M.
Although I can definitely get behind "needing" a new rifle, and working up a load for the hot new round, 223/5.56 55 gr soft-points on top of the max charge are more than sufficient. The vast majority of the shots in my neck of the woods are well under 100 and as stated above, typically it's now, or never.
As far as 5 rounders, The Lancer Systems are far and away the best of the lot.
DSCF06061_zpsnznwdrrp.jpg
[/IMG]

I was unaware Mossberg was that bad.

I have owned many mossberg over the years. They are generally closet guns. All but my M44 US property marked 22lr.
As for velocity. I don't have pictures but my friends son has taken to hunting everything. He's been loading Nosler 40 grain varmigedon in 223 at 3700 fps and all,I can say is I'm shocked at the damage he has shown me. He's taking them out at 200 yards and my friend tells me if they don't drop on spot they only get as far as adrenaline can carry them.

- - - Updated - - -

I have owned many mossberg over the years. They are generally closet guns. All but my M44 US property marked 22lr.
As for velocity. I don't have pictures but my friends son has taken to hunting everything. He's been loading Nosler 40 grain varmigedon in 223 at 3700 fps and all,I can say is I'm shocked at the damage he has shown me. He's taking them out at 200 yards and my friend tells me if they don't drop on spot they only get as far as adrenaline can carry them.

His rifle of choice is a 16" target crown 1/9 twist barrel on a bare bones CMMG set up. Uses a 3x9 leupold

Back
Top Bottom