Couple weird questions in regards to lost LTC in MA

Hey guys,

I believe I misplaced / lost my LTC which Im pretty pissed about (but this is besides the point).

My two questions are as follows:

If my friend, who has not lost her LTC, is with me.... Can I/we do the following until I have my replacement?:

1) Transport my firearm to the range (with her of course) and use it?

2) Transport my firearms to a range in NH and use it?

thanks!

Hey guys,

I believe I misplaced / lost my LTC which Im pretty pissed about (but this is besides the point).

My two questions are as follows:

If my friend, who has not lost her LTC, is with me.... Can I/we do the following until I have my replacement?:

1) Transport my firearm to the range (with her of course) and use it?

2) Transport my firearms to a range in NH and use it?

thanks!

I'd just go down to the PD and tell them what happened. Should be no biggie to reprint you a new card.

1) Yes. Make sure all the guns are in locked containers or under her(not yours) direct control.
2) Yes. NH doesn't care about your MA license.

Tell your PD you lost your LTC. You'll get a free replacement in few days, it's totally painless.

I'd just go down to the PD and tell them what happened. Should be no biggie to reprint you a new card.

I lost my wallet and license to carry several years ago. There was no "replacement" per se, and definitely no quickie reprint of the lost license. The process was basically the same as a renewal and it took over three months. To add insult to injury, my wallet and license were returned to me via the mail about a week after I received my replacement. I hope the process has been improved.

I lost my wallet and license to carry several years ago. There was no "replacement" per se, and definitely no quickie reprint of the lost license. The process was basically the same as a renewal and it took over three months. To add insult to injury, my wallet and license were returned to me via the mail about a week after I received my replacement. I hope the process has been improved.

I'm pretty sure your PD was acting outside of the rules with that, but I'd wait for LenS or someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

I lost/misplaced my LTC last year and sent an email to the licensing officer for my town who called me and told me that the FRB will print another one for me. I had the new one within 7 days and was told that if I find the old one, destroy it. I'm not positive, but I also believe that I received a different PIN for the replaced license. In any event, it was painless.

Probably not in that town!

MGL changed in 2004 to REQUIRE a FREE replacement upon report of loss/stolen LTC. I recall Boston was charging $100 (and probably voiding old one and issuing a new one with all the rigamoral attached) well after the law change. I'm sure that a few PDs did it to "punish" people in spite of the law to the contrary.

I'm pretty sure your PD was acting outside of the rules with that, but I'd wait for LenS or someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

You are correct.

I lost/misplaced my LTC last year and sent an email to the licensing officer for my town who called me and told me that the FRB will print another one for me. I had the new one within 7 days and was told that if I find the old one, destroy it. I'm not positive, but I also believe that I received a different PIN for the replaced license. In any event, it was painless.

IIRC yes they issue the same LTC # but a different PIN for security purposes, same expiration date. [I might be wrong on LTC # but it is too minor to ask Michaela about it.]

The current procedure is for the issuing PD to login to MIRCS, and request a replacement for a lost LTC. The PD can also change the address and/or restriction at this time. There is no new application, no fee, and no change in the expiration date.

Makes me wonder if printing out a copy of the license and carrying it around with you would suffice as a stopgap, in the interim. (lots of us have scanned pics of the front and back for submission to other states for obtaining other licenses). I am unsure if there is anything under MGL that "forces" you to have the actual plastic card, and it's not like a LEO couldn't look you up in the computer, etc, if there was an issue. (Food for thought though, if anyone thinks that getting pinged for an LTC is a frequent occurrence, it's really not...) Obviously a gun shop would laugh at you but that's different....

-Mike

Makes me wonder if printing out a copy of the license and carrying it around with you would suffice as a stopgap, in the interim. (lots of us have scanned pics of the front and back for submission to other states for obtaining other licenses). I am unsure if there is anything under MGL that "forces" you to have the actual plastic card, and it's not like a LEO couldn't look you up in the computer, etc, if there was an issue. (Food for thought though, if anyone thinks that getting pinged for an LTC is a frequent occurrence, it's really not...) Obviously a gun shop would laugh at you but that's different....

-Mike
I always make four or five copies of my (and wife's) LTC, just in case, and yeah just to carry with me should I /we ever lose/misplace the LTC....(the others stored in my important stuff files) .. I'm sure a cop in MA could jack me up for not having the original, though, but I figure a copy certainly won't hurt to have with me while I await the quick expeditious way the Commonwealth would handle the process of getting a replacement out to us....

for me I have a "gun" wallet. So in additional to my regular wallet which has my DL, CCs and insurance cards I keep a separate wallet for my LTC's and gun club id cards, hunter safety card, NRA and GOAL cards...things like that.

Just got back from my local PD, the LO wasnt there unfortunately. Let her a voicemail with my name and license number, not sure if there was anything else I needed to give her. Hopefully Ill hear something back soon.

I "lost " mine. Was throwing away my old wallet one day, and found it in a fairly hidden compartment. So LOOK THRU your wallet REALLY well. [smile]

My brother did the process today on the cape, just made a phone call from work and the woman processed it on the spot. She said the new license should be there in two weeks at most and would call him when it arrives.

Back
Top Bottom