Couple Questions on Private Sale of firearms

Wow, just found this site. What a great resource.

I did the search function and found some answers to my questions. But I just wanted to make sure my understanding of the law is accurate.

As far as private sale/transfer of a firearm within the state of Massachusetts to another licensed individual, all I would need to do is to fill out the FA-10 form and send a certified copy to Chelsea, correct?

Also, Im selling two Glocks, a 26 and a 19. The Glock 19 is 3rd gen with a manufacture date of 7/1999. As a private sale, this would be perfectly legal correct? Would MA compliance be an issue in this case?

Thanks very much in advance.

GSX2005 said:
As far as private sale/transfer of a firearm within the state of Massachusetts to another licensed individual, all I would need to do is to fill out the FA-10 form and send a certified copy to Chelsea, correct?

I think it's the original you send. The FA-10 is a carbonless form with 3 pages. I think that the first page is the one that goes to the state.

GSX2005 said:
Also, Im selling two Glocks, a 26 and a 19. The Glock 19 is 3rd gen with a manufacture date of 7/1999. As a private sale, this would be perfectly legal correct? Would MA compliance be an issue in this case?

Perfectly correct. MA compliance is a non-issue as long as it's a private sale. And you might want to post them in the Classified forum; I seem to remember someone looking for a 3rd gen Glock there recently.

Welcome to the board, BTW!

Thanks very much guys.

It's great to find a group of gunowners in MA. I usually had to call the local PD or the FRB to get answers, and they are not very helpful (or knowledgable) at times.

GSX2005 said:
Thanks very much guys.

It's great to find a group of gunowners in MA. I usually had to call the local PD or the FRB to get answers, and they are not very helpful (or knowledgable) at times.

That's an understatement! And the reason varies from ignorance of the law to malicious intent.

You send the copy of the FA-10 form via 1st Class Mail. NO need/requirement to send certified . . . just a waste of money.

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here.

Another quick question, what the legality of AR-15 30 rounds mags in Massachusetts?

I know there's a ban on assault rifles in Boston, but they are ok in Cambridge.

I have a lot of 30 round thermold mags I would like to sell. Are there any restriction as to who may purchase in MA?

I have a lot of 30 round thermold mags I would like to sell. Are there any restriction as to who may purchase in MA?

As long as they do not have any of the restricted markings on them, they are legal in this state. According to my sources you must have a License to Carry Firearms, either Class A or B to legally buy and possess these.

FPrice said:

As long as they do not have any of the restricted markings on them, they are legal in this state. According to my sources you must have a License to Carry Firearms, either Class A or B to legally buy and possess these.

Correct up to a point . . . they also can NOT be made after 9/13/94 (i.e. new hi-cap mags are illegal in MA).

The Boston ban is meaningless (do a search on this site for more info on it), ignore the short guy mumbling into the cameras!

Really appreciate the information from everyone. i've had these question for a long time and didnt know who to turn to.

How can I determine the manufacture dates for these mags? They're all stamped either 21H or 22H D&D Inc., Wilson N.C., U.S.A.

Man, the gun laws in this state are ridiculous. It's really hell for responsible firearm owners.

If you can't prove they were made before 94, they can't prove they weren't. This is a pretty grey area and most people don't seem to worry about it much.

If you can't find out, and you bought them from a reputable dealer, I don't think it's much to worry about. I've never heard of anyone getting their magazines checked out.

Those numbers may be a date code. Given that, I'd make an effort to contact the mfr and ask.

It's "unlikely" that you'd ever get accused, but ask yourself these two questions:

- Is it worth the risk of a 5-10 year felony per mag?
- Is it worth $25-50K to defend myself against any potential charges?

The way that the CJ system works, once you are accused you really have to prove yourself not guilty or you WILL get screwed . . . even a plea bargain is an admission of guilt that will punish you later on in life as well as cost you a small fortune to defend yourself.

And I have seen "so called reputable dealers" selling banned mags in MA and this was even before the Fed ban was lifted!

Ok, so did I miss something? What are you asking for the G26?
I'm interested. Which mags? how many?
Is the G26 3rd gen too?

Are you selling it on this forum? or somewhere else?

Feel free to PM me directly.

There is a pending sale on the G26. I can't beleive how quick it sold. I'll be posting the 3rd gen Glock 19 in the classified section soon.

Keep in mind that you can only legally do not more than four FA-10 styly private sales/gifts of firearms in MA per year.

Any more than four, and you must do the transactions thru a MA FFL.

Cross-X said:
Keep in mind that you can only legally do not more than four FA-10 styly private sales/gifts of firearms in MA per year.

Any more than four, and you must do the transactions thru a MA FFL.

Which of course with handguns means that he can only sell 4 that don't meet the EOPS and AG BS . . . since MA dealers can't sell them to MA residents (and thus most MA dealers won't touch them).

Catch 22, I say!

Back
Top Bottom