• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Correct Bolt Function on AK-47 Variant?

I'm trouble-shooting a failure to feed issue with this rifle and noticed that the bolt lug seems to jump rail. I don't have experience with any other AK-types so I don't know if this is normal or not. Here's a short video:

[video=youtube_share;1Oi1DD4Q_1s]http://youtu.be/1Oi1DD4Q_1s[/video]

Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure that I'm ultimately going to have to replace the bolt, since the one that came with the rifle is for a single stack mag. The single stack mag sometimes likes to slide over the round rather than strip it cleanly from the mag.

hmm, I'm not sure what the problem is, sounds like receiver width may be an issue or not.

One thing I noticed on some AKs, gently sliding the bolt in-out on out of spec gun can give you misfeeds, while treating it like a redheaded stepchild and racking the bolt with force will keep it working flawlessly. Don't baby it. Rack it hard, talk dirty to it. If the bolt jumps out during a shooting session it's one thing, but gently pushing it like that is another.

When I rack it hard the bolt/carrier seem fine.

Now that I've watch my video a couple times I see that it pops off the rail when the bolt rides over the hammer. So now I'm thinking that if I replace the bolt/carrier with with proper M70 bolt & Carrier the problem will just be worse since the bottom part of the bolt that strips the round is both taller and wider. He's a picture of the single stack bolt in this rifle:

100_1608_zps40afde9a.jpg

where in this video is your "bolt jumping rail"? I don't see it. All I see is a bolt gliding down the rails of your receiver and it slowing down on the hammer, like every other AK on the face of the planet. If you pussy foot it, it won't clear it. AKs don't like pussies or faggots. This is not "jumping rail." If it was falling out of the rails, your carrier and bolt would pop out of the receiver.

If it's not stripping rounds, you have a mag height issue in the receiver. Or a bolt lug issue, like I've said before a few times on here.

Try another bolt or check the clearance between the top of the mag and the bolt when it's on the rails over the mag well.

I appreciate what you're saying flintoid, and I remember well what you've advised. I just haven't had a chance to get another bolt. While messing around with this today I saw something I wasn't sure about and thought I'd ask about it.

most bolts come into contact with the cocked hammer when going down the receiver. Some people polish the hammer face down to make the action smoother. I suggest not doing this until you understand the function of the rifle better.

most bolts come into contact with the cocked hammer when going down the receiver. Some people polish the hammer face down to make the action smoother. I suggest not doing this until you understand the function of the rifle better.

Exactly why I'm asking these kinds of questions, as annoying as they are! I've owned firearms for less than a year and have a lot to learn. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom