• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cops in a shootout - help? Not help?

There was a civilian who helped save the life of a cop involved in a roadside scuffle up on the main road by me in Maine a few years back. It was a while back and I forget the details but I remember the guy being thanked by the cop.

how do you know it's not a crooked cop committing a criminal act?

If you see 2 guys fighting in an alley and one is about to stab another, who do you shoot? Are you 1000% sure the guy with the knife isn't the one acting in self defense?

IMO, unless you're actually there to see the origins of the confrontation AND in a state that won't jam you up, you're better off minding your own business and calling 911.

EDIT: Kalash said it better

lol

Not that I don't want to help a cop, but I don't have qualified immunity laws protecting me. Plus, you run the risk of getting shot by another cop once backup arrives..

A physical struggle where the cop is losing, I might step in(physically) and help if the cop asks. Pulling your weapon and acting like you are part of the brotherhood is not necessarily a good idea, there are laws protecting what a cop does that doesn't protect the surfs.

If it were me, I would have walked a bit faster to get there and wouldn't have waited for the officer to scream "Shoot him!!" several times before I fired. I also live in a state with civil suit protections. No criminal charges, no civil suit possible.

Such was the topic of more than a few nightmares, involving my LEO father, when I was a kid so...

As for being shot by his backup... They are coming full lights and sirens. You should know they are close long before you start catching rounds. That being said, adrenaline is a bitch and can definitely f*** with situational awareness.

Either way, if I just stood there and watched someone get murdered I would never be able to look in my son's eyes again.

nope.gif

If it were me, I would have walked a bit faster to get there and wouldn't have waited for the officer to scream "Shoot him!!" several times before I fired. I also live in a state with civil suit protections. No criminal charges, no civil suit possible.

Such was the topic of more than a few nightmares, involving my LEO father, when I was a kid so...

As for being shot by his backup... They are coming full lights and sirens. You should know they are close long before you start catching rounds. That being said, adrenaline is a bitch and can definitely f*** with situational awareness.

Either way, if I just stood there and watched someone get murdered I would never be able to look in my son's eyes again.

No criminal charges, no civil suit possible. SHOULD be everywhere ! in every city, town etc.. in the US

Lol. No.

Good luck not getting shot by the storm of officers he most likely called over the radio.

Good luck not getting in the way.

Good luck having them want you to “help”

Good luck actually being helpful.

For some cringe watch this video. This is probably best case (cop yells at you). Worst case you are dead
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MRV230C44M

And think that guy had "creds"...meaning probably an LEO.

Lol I never played that. I was referring to GTA and the dumpster fire that is Cyberpunk2077.

CP2077 fixed a lot of the cop friendly fire shit now. They don't aggro/go looking for you if you're shooting at the same bad guys. I haven't tested yet, though to see if they still care about
me putting quieting shots into not-quite-dead bad guys, though. [rofl]

There was a civilian who helped save the life of a cop involved in a roadside scuffle up on the main road by me in Maine a few years back. It was a while back and I forget the details but I remember the guy being thanked by the cop.
Reminds me of that situation in White Mountains NH (around 2006?) involving Bodie Miller’s cousin. Chronically-drunk cousin goes on road-rage, kills local police officer. Retired Marine bystander gabs sidearm from deceased P.O. Shoots, but wounds, raging cousin.

"Your intervention could save cop's life." There is an answer and it's don't use "could" as a reason to interject yourself into a situation that will change your life or the life of someone else. But if you did.......at what point do you rip off your CCW sash before blasting a stranger? Before or after you leap from the shadows??

Reminds me of that situation in White Mountains NH (around 2006?) involving Bodie Miller’s cousin. Chronically-drunk cousin goes on road-rage, kills local police officer. Retired Marine bystander gabs sidearm from deceased P.O. Shoots, but wounds, raging cousin.
Lol, Floyd actually shot and killed Liko Kenney after Kenney killed McKay (the LEO). There's actually a thread where there was a huge dust up on the forum about it back when it happened. I had to lock it because one of likos family members came on the forum and was raging.

Also said retired marine (Floyd) was a prohibited person. The NH AG at the time was Kelly Ayotte and she didn't prosecute Floyd via "doctrine of competing harms".

Also said retired marine (Floyd) was a prohibited person. The NH AG at the time was Kelly Ayotte and she didn't prosecute Floyd via "doctrine of competing harms".

Had to look that up to make sure that I understood it.

Wonder if that would be an affirmative defense (hope I am using that term correctly) if what passes for our AG decide to crucify your white privileged posterior?

Had to look that up to make sure that I understood it.

Wonder if that would be an affirmative defense (hope I am using that term correctly) if what passes for our AG decide to crucify your white privileged posterior?

I don't know if other states allow it to be used or not in any case.

It wasn't so much Floyd shooting Kenney that was the "possible problem" there was a question of whether or not Floyd touching the gun as a PP was a problem, because I think even under
NH law, PPs can't touch firearms. Ayotte's argument was something like "Well, he had only picked up the firearm for the purpose of trying to stop a guy who just shot a police officer".

Unless you know the exact situation, are yourself in danger, or other clearly innocent people are in danger, it’s a tough sell. You won’t get paid like the cop nor be granted the legal privileges of the cop.

That’s not at all what happened.

In ASSachusetts the cop and his/her family will thank you for saving their life or loved one's life and you will be considered the family hero.
The police chief will yank your LTC and confiscate all your firearms.
The District Attorney will investigate and you may be brought up on charges..
The bad guy or suspect's family will sue you in civil court.
There is no correct answer to hypothetical questions! Nobody knows what they would do in advance in any given fight or flight situation.

Back
Top Bottom