CopBlock.com founder sentenced on wiretapping charges

SFGate said:
Mueller, who represented himself at his trial, was convicted Monday on three counts of wiretapping less than an hour after arguing that the law shouldn't apply to secretly recording public officials.
"I know I didn't cause them any harm — physical or otherwise," Mueller told jurors, stressing he called them while they were at their public jobs. He told them he was seeking "jury nullification" of the wiretapping law — which prohibits recording of conversations without all parties' consent.
acpix1.jpg

State Rep. Kevin Warden, R-Goffstown, attended the court proceedings and said afterward that he thought prosecuting Mueller was "a travesty and a total waste of taxpayer dollars."
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120813/NEWS03/708139898
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/NH-activist-gets-almost-3-months-for-wiretapping-3784201.php

The judge was remarkably tolerant, allowing Adam Mueller to represent himself and to speak to the jury regarding jury nullification.

Last edited:
The judge was remarkably tolerant, allowing Adam Mueller to represent himself and to speak to the jury regarding jury nullification.
Is that why he represented himself as an attorney wouldn't have been able to argue it? Unless going pro se was for this reason or a similar a strategic decision, he should have gotten an attorney.

Plus, jury nullification is almost an affirmative defense. The whole jury have to not be sheeple for it to work.

"The defendant doesn't want to follow the law and he's essentially asking you to join him in not following the law," Valentine said.

The law is being applied in a manner in which it was not intended.

I'm surprised he pulled that jury in NH. He must be near the MA border.

Since we're less than five months from it being mandatory to allow the defense to instruct the jury on their right to nullify, it wouldn't make much sense for the judge to buck it.

From the comments, I think he would have been better off without the jury. The judge thought it was a BS charge, and essentially sentenced him to little more than time served.

Back
Top Bottom