'Cop Killer' Gun Used In Ft. Hood Shooting, Officials Said

Suspected Massacre Weapon Purchased Legally At 'Guns Galore' Shop in Texas

By MATTHEW COLE, PIERRE THOMAS, JASON RYAN, and RICHARD ESPOSITO
Nov. 6, 2009

The gun thought to be used in the Fort Hood massacre packs so much firepower, it's known as 'the Cop Killer,' federal law enforcement officials said.

Major Nidal Malik Hasan allegedly packed a FN Herstal Five-seveN tactical pistol, which according to federal law enforcement officials, was legally purchased from the "Guns Galore" shop in Killeen, Texas in Aug. 2009.

ABC NEWS

Wow, so one needs a gun that over penetrates and is overpriced to kill a policeman? Such sensationalism is the tool of a small, polluted mind.

"Cop Killer"? Yikes, they had to take the dust off that one, huh? When's the last time we heard that? I think Klinton was in office peddling his anti-gun smut.

Nov. 6, 2009

The gun thought to be used in the Fort Hood massacre packs so much firepower, it's known as 'the Cop Killer,' federal law enforcement officials said.

Major Nidal Malik Hasan allegedly packed a FN Herstal Five-seveN tactical pistol, which according to federal law enforcement officials, was legally purchased from the "Guns Galore" shop in Killeen, Texas in Aug. 2009.

ABC NEWS

ABC news BS aside, my first thought when I had heard it was the 5.7FN was which ammo he was using. If using the "civilian" ammo for it, it has the ballistics similar to a .22 mag or there abouts I recall. More like "squirrel killer" bullets.

Heard that on CNN yesterday and almost went through the TV I was so pissed. WTF, this scum shoots over 30 people and they need to make it sound WORSE then it is. I noticed in the initial press conference with the base CO one of the reporters asked 'what kind of gun was he using' - a useless question - and the dissapointment was palpable when the CO replied 2 handguns. They're going to try to do to the FN what they did to the TEC9 after Columbine.

You can never blame an acknowledged minority for what they do . . . so you must focus the blame somewhere else . . . i.e. the gun. [thinking] [rolleyes] [angry]

Only if you can't blame the white male oppressors. Which is another tactic being used. Only there have been no episodes of harassment of Muslim soldiers reported to a Muslim Veterans group.

At some point, they'll blame George Bush. They always do.

The most eye-opening thing I read was an account that said the shooter was using a laser aiming device. That would probably make a lot more difference in how dangerous he was with a pistol than 'cop killing' 22 bullets.

ABC news BS aside, my first thought when I had heard it was the 5.7FN was which ammo he was using. If using the "civilian" ammo for it, it has the ballistics similar to a .22 mag or there abouts I recall. More like "squirrel killer" bullets.

.22 WMR ballistics:
Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
30 gr (1.9 g) HP 2,200 ft/s (670 m/s) 322 ft·lbf
40 gr (2.6 g) JHP 1,910 ft/s (580 m/s) 324 ft·lbf
50 gr (3.2 g) JHP 1,650 ft/s (500 m/s) 300 ft·lbf

5.7x28:
32 gr (2.1 g) SS190 AP FMJ 716 m/s (2,350 ft/s) 397 ft·lbf
28 gr (1.8 g) SS195LF JHP 716 m/s (2,350 ft/s) 344 ft·lbf
40 gr (2.6 g) SS197SR JHP 594 m/s (1,950 ft/s) 340 ft·lbf
Test barrel length: 263 mm (10.35 in)

9mm:
7.45 g (115.0 gr) FMJ 390 m/s (1,300 ft/s) 420 ft·lbf
8.00 g (123.5 gr) FMJ 360 m/s (1,200 ft/s) 382 ft·lbf
9.1 g (140 gr) FMJ 305 m/s (1,000 ft/s) 309 ft·lbf
9.5 g (147 gr) JHP 368 m/s (1,210 ft/s) 474 ft·lbf
7.45 g (115.0 gr) JHP +P+ 435 m/s (1,430 ft/s) 519 ft·lbf

Last edited:
Ballistics:

Any idea what barrel lengths were used there?

AFAIK, 5.7FN is a lower pressure version of .22 hornet with bullets designed to penetrate level II armor and tumble.

Of course, FN only sells those bullets to LE agencies, and I've never seen any gel photos of the results.

ETA:
The Box O' Truth spoke highly of 7.62 x 25 at one point, but I can't find the link.

Last edited:
How is this even remotely relevant since no one was wearing body armor AND on top of that, sporting ammo was used? There would have been less injuries and more deaths had he used a .45. They should be reporting that it would have been worse had he been using a real handgun.

Whenever the "media" talks about magazine (oops! I mean CLIP) capacity, they talk as if "not having to reload" is some huge time advantage, as if the shooter would have to take out a box of ammo and reload the mag one round at a time, minutes ticking by, and then insert it. I don't know if it would be better or worse for the MSM to know how fast a good shooter changes mags.

and lastly, why is the shooter not being referred to as a Muslim Terrorist? Because that's what he was.

Any idea what barrel lengths were used there?
Updated the 5.7 table - it was a 10" bbl or so. The other two tables didn't have a test barrel length given. The .22WMR data was from Cartridges Of The World and the 9mm from Sellior & Bellot's reloading data. All data was from wikipedia (I was too lazy to go grab my reloading manual).

Updated the 5.7 table - it was a 10" bbl or so. The other two tables didn't have a test barrel length given. The .22WMR data was from Cartridges Of The World and the 9mm from Sellior & Bellot's reloading data. All data was from wikipedia (I was too lazy to go grab my reloading manual).

So the 5.7 data is grossly overstated as a result of the short bbl most likely.

Example. Have you seen what buffalo bore gets out of a .357 lever action rifle with their 115 grain bullet?? 2200 fps!!! Barrel length makes a huge difference. Especially with light fast rounds.

Wouldn't the person be the 'cop killer' and the gun just a...well...a gun?

No he was a good Muslim, but the military mistreated him (he's actually the real victim). Easy access to a military style pistol designed only to kill lead to this incident - he's actually a great guy, but when you get ahold of gun like that you aren't really responsible for what you do. You simply lose control.

Also, I can't believe that automatic pistol are even legal - do people really hunt with them?

How the Ft. Hood Shooter Will Be Judged

It's a pretty good read:

There are no root causes, “legitimate” grievances, or divided loyalties that can explain Nidal Malik Hasan, though in due course, some will try to find them. Here, I do not refer to the Army defense counsel who will be burdened with the dreaded duty of defending a man they will assuredly and justifiably loathe, but must defend anyway.

For four years, I was an Army Trial Defense Counsel myself. The military conditioning to protect young soldiers is so deeply instilled in commanders and noncommissioned officers that most deeply appreciated my zeal even as I attacked the evidence for the charges they had sent to trial, often with reluctance. For Hasan, the dynamic will be very different.

Those who judge Hasan will see repellent dishonor in a man who murdered the soldiers every officer swears he will lead and protect, who betrayed the country he swore to defend, and who killed and maimed despite swearing an oath to heal, to do no harm. If religion was Hasan’s motive, his was an extraordinarily promiscuous view of the meaning of one’s oath to God. No officer can be, or should be, forgiven for betraying and harming soldiers.

http://newledger.com/2009/11/how-the-fort-hood-shooter-will-be-judged/

Nov. 6, 2009

ABC NEWS

Other ABC headlines today:

Hasan's Pistol May Be Linked To 'Guns Galore' Shop in Texas

Nidal Malik Hasan, Suspected Fort Hood Shooter, Was Called "Camel Jockey"

Brother: Ft. Hood Shooting Suspect is a Peaceful Person

GORBACHEV: Man Who Prevented World War III?

Kerry: U.S. General's Plan in Afghanistan Too Ambitious

[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom