Concealed to/from range with restricted LTC (Boston)

Did you take your firearm / handgun safety course at Boston Gun Club? I'd be willing to bet this is where you were told you can conceal carry to and from the range...

they seriously need to stop saying that shit.

IMHO, if your licensing officer wanted you to be able to carry concealed, he would have issued you an unrestricted license. He didn't.

If your licensing officer told you that you could carry concealed under certain conditions, there is nothing that requires him not to change his mind later, or for a new licensing officer to have a different opinion. Personally, I would not carry on a restricted license unless I received a written statement allowing me to do so from the licensing officer on police letterhead.

I've heard multiple answers to this but they all ended with this. Even if you clear your name in court, get ALL charges dismissed and your record cleared the issuing officer can still deny your renewal or revoke your permit outright. It remains exclusively up to your local pd so if they issued a restricted class A don't carry. The main (personally think only) reason they have restricted permits is so that they can issue Class A permits that permit large capacity firearms but forbid concealed carry.

I'm trying to remember, does Boston provide written definitions of restrictions when you get your LTC? Has anyone requested official definitions and gotten a response?

Jebus, how many blondes does it take to screw in a light bulb (there are 2 correct answers)? If you have an LTC-A and the Restriction says ANYTHING other than None, don't carry.....ever.....period. No "but he said its OK to carry to the range" or some other lame reason will do any darn bit of good at all when you get pinched. Be smart, be safe and pray things get reformed. In the mean time enjoy the sport as best as you can....Gozer would be proud.

this restriction problem creating even more problems. I agree for most part, but in red towns they just have unwritten rule not to issue unrestricted license for first time around. They just covering their back in case of something happens but if you show to your COP that can trust you even more next time around they will take off restriction as long as you asked for it. I know in general its just plain stupid, but it is what it is. At least in my town.
here is another restriction that is allows you to carry - how about Employment? this restriction if you are business owner allows you to carry in place of your business, while conducting business and even on the way to and from.
here is the question. if some one with this type of restriction will stop at Starbucks on the way to from work or for dinner at Outback is it going to create problem? according to my COP no, unless you got drunk at the bar where you stop by onb the way from work on Friday night. ;)

this restriction problem creating even more problems. I agree for most part, but in red towns they just have unwritten rule not to issue unrestricted license for first time around. They just covering their back in case of something happens but if you show to your COP that can trust you even more next time around they will take off restriction as long as you asked for it.
No, they are not just covering their backs. The town, the police department, and the police officers themselves have no liability if they issue you an unrestricted license and you do something bad with it. This is about power and BS politics and violating your rights because they can, nothing more.

It's been said several times in this thread, just don't carry, period. If you get caught and your license is revoked, you will never be able to carry for the rest of your life in any state that requires a pistol permit. My understanding is that pretty much every licensing state makes revokation an automatic disqualifier.

My understanding is that pretty much every licensing state makes revokation an automatic disqualifier.

Your understanding is incorrect. In "shall issue" states, one requires a felony or, in some cases, certain misdemeanor convictions. A past revocation could be a huge hurdle if you try to get a license in a may issue state.

Your understanding is incorrect. In "shall issue" states, one requires a felony or, in some cases, certain misdemeanor convictions. A past revocation could be a huge hurdle if you try to get a license in a may issue state.

I know for a fact in NY, CT, and RI it is an automatic disqualifier, you can appeal, but I don't know what that is like. I have friends on the west coast that have confirmed CA, AZ, NM, and TX also have the same procedures.

I can't speak for anyone but myself.When I was a cop,if I ever found a person with a lawful carry permit with some dang restriction on it,there is no way I would charge the person unless he had really done something wrong.I am sure there are others out there on patrol that would agree with me.Too bad cops no longer see shades of grey.However,this has been brought on by the USA become a nation of lawyers and litigation.We now have cops that only see black&white when it comes to making decisions.

I can't speak for anyone but myself.When I was a cop,if I ever found a person with a lawful carry permit with some dang restriction on it,there is no way I would charge the person unless he had really done something wrong.I am sure there are others out there on patrol that would agree with me.Too bad cops no longer see shades of grey.However,this has been brought on by the USA become a nation of lawyers and litigation.We now have cops that only see black&white when it comes to making decisions.

+2 for you!!!
1 for seeing the grey area and 1 for seeing that LEOs today are too by the book

you need to talk to the licensing officer about what he means. Hint: If he says you can carry to and from the range or while bike riding, GET IT IN WRITING. If you dont get in writing, it isnt worth pushing it.

I can't speak for anyone but myself.When I was a cop,if I ever found a person with a lawful carry permit with some dang restriction on it,there is no way I would charge the person unless he had really done something wrong.

This held true when I was a patrolman 35 years ago. Further, we were encouraged to make "judgement calls" when it came to dealing with local residents (and their wild a$$ kids). I remember stopping more than just a few locals that were OUI and had them park the car off the road and then gave them a ride home....sometimes to the next town over. Things are different these days. More people, more money, more "things", more of everything someone else wants. Sad in a way. We called them "the good old days" for a reason.

On the other hand, things are much more complicated now-a-days. The expectations we have of our LEOs are far greater today than when I drove a cruiser. The job is a lot harder now than it used to be. Funny, I recall an old timer say something similar to me over 35 years ago. Times change, but people don't I guess.

+2 to you guys! I will also add that I know a cop (currently still serving and likely will continue to keep serving for many more years to come) who has never made an arrest for a DUI. He simply stated to me one day that he knows all of us have likely driven home after having a bit too much (not that I'm saying it's smart nor was he), but he said it's not grounds for arrest in his eyes unless there are other potential charges. Every time he pulls somebody over for DUI he just makes them have their vehicle towed back to their place and he gives them a lift home...and believe me...I'd much rather pay $100 bucks for a tow than face a judge with a DUI charge. He's a great guy with a big heart

+2 to you guys! I will also add that I know a cop (currently still serving and likely will continue to keep serving for many more years to come) who has never made an arrest for a DUI. He simply stated to me one day that he knows all of us have likely driven home after having a bit too much (not that I'm saying it's smart nor was he), but he said it's not grounds for arrest in his eyes unless there are other potential charges. Every time he pulls somebody over for DUI he just makes them have their vehicle towed back to their place and he gives them a lift home...and believe me...I'd much rather pay $100 bucks for a tow than face a judge with a DUI charge. He's a great guy with a big heart

I hope we're talking about someone a little over the limit and not someone completely plastered? People die from this stuff, and I know all too well first hand.

I hope we're talking about someone a little over the limit and not someone completely plastered? People die from this stuff, and I know all too well first hand.

I'm sure he uses his judgment, but I didn't ask him for specifics. This was information he and his wife voluntarily offered up to me, but I still didn't view it as an invite to pry for anymore info. I took it for what it was worth...but I'm sure he makes the punishment fit the crime (just over the limit you get a tow...if you're totally plastered I'm sure the circumstances may be different).

Back
Top Bottom