Conceal Carry in NH

Looking for property in Southern NH. What am I to expect when applying for conceal carry in one of the small towns in Rockingham County?
Do I go in front of the chief of police in that town and get grilled or treated like a criminal? Does it very from town to town? Is there a map that I can check out similar to MA?.......Feedback will be appreciated......thanks

Easy as jester said.......You don't have to go in front of anyone.....just turn in your application and done

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Just be aware, even though some think NH is a shall issue state, it's not. If you have anything questionable, they can deny you. It's uncommon, but not unheard of.

Notes from my experience:
- 14 day max turnaround to either issue or deny, mine was 13 days or so
- References - Just need to fill out name and address, don't have to provide a phone number
- Drivers License - There is no requirement for the PD to copy your license. They use it to verify identity on pickup, but there's no valid reason for them to copy it.

Potential anti-gun troll alert. No membership. 11 posts in 2 years.
All of the questions asked in the last 11 posts could be found online with almost effort.
Rugersr22 may be on our side, and if I'm wrong, I will apologize.

Easiest is to fill out the form at home (you can download it online, many towns included the pdf on their own website even). Then just drop it off at the PD without whoever is there, often in small towns it is just an officer on duty or a clerk. Include ten dollars. If they are in compliance with the law you will have it within 14 days. It seems most towns give you a call and you go in and pick it up. I've had mine ready within a couple of days both times.

There shouldn't be any questioning at all. I've been asked for my drivers license to verify I was the person on the application. On my renewal the clerk wanted to make a copy of it. I told her no and just showed it to her. That was acceptable (and it damn well better have been!).

It's still ten bucks too much.
No objection to my local PD getting the ten bucks, I do agree that we shouldn't have to apply for a Pistol and Revolver License at all. If it were not for the NRA interfering, we'd already have constitutional carry in New Hampshire.
Potential anti-gun troll alert. No membership. 11 posts in 2 years. All of the questions asked in the last 11 posts could be found online with almost effort. Rugersr22 may be on our side, and if I'm wrong, I will apologize.
[troll] I won't accuse Rugersr22 of being an anti-gun troll, but posting history does seem troll like. [troll]

Last edited:
159:6 License to Carry. –
I. (a) The selectmen of a town, the mayor or chief of police of a city or a full-time police officer designated by them respectively, the county sheriff for a resident of an unincorporated place, or the county sheriff if designated by the selectmen of a town that has no police chief, upon application of any resident of such town, city, or unincorporated place, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued.

Sorry, misread your post as applying to the cost and length of time for a MA license. I have a NR-NH license that is renewed every 4 years.

Don't overthink it. That's easy to do because the process is so simple, but avoid the tendency.

As has been stated above, download the form, fill it out at home without any embellishments or overthinking, and bring it in with $10. Give it to the nice policeman/woman, and then wait a statutory 14 days or less.

My daughter just turned 21. I downloaded the form and filled it out. Under "Occupation" she put "Student." She left the next two lines (Employer and Employer Address) blank. Filled out fewer "felon" questions than on a 4473. She listed "All Lawful Purposes" as a reason. I listed myself, my wife, and a family friend as references. She and I walked the form and $10 in to the PD on Sunday, at noon, on the way to the range. On Monday, just before the start of the Pats game (just about 36 hours), the doorbell rang, and it was a nice policewoman hand delivering her P&RL.

Coming from MA or some other unfriendly state, you might be tempted to expect or add more, but that's really all there is to it.

Name, address, reason for application, (most put down target shooting and personal protection) $10 and three references.

I talked with a NH state cop recently who said "Everyone in NH is carrying a gun." I think he's right. I see more people in Walmart wearing a gun than I see at the range.

J
- References - Just need to fill out name and address, don't have to provide a phone number

I don't believe this is part of the RSA. I personally leave the references blank and have never been told I need to fill them in. I also don't have to pay the $10 until I pick it up.

88d5b263244618d348e36b0dfeeeabb3.jpg

I don't believe this is part of the RSA. I personally leave the references blank and have never been told I need to fill them in. I also don't have to pay the $10 until I pick it up.

The RSA doesn't give details of the form it only directs who creates it. It doesn't appear references are usually contacted so not filling them out shouldn't matter, but you never know what sort of meaningless thing one might care about.

The director of state police is hereby authorized and directed to prepare forms for the licenses required under this chapter and forms for the application for such licenses and to supply the same to officials of the cities and towns authorized to issue the licenses. No other forms shall be used by officials of cities and towns. The cost of the forms shall be paid out of the fees received from nonresident licenses.

Looking for property in Southern NH. What am I to expect when applying for conceal carry in one of the small towns in Rockingham County?
Do I go in front of the chief of police in that town and get grilled or treated like a criminal? Does it very from town to town? Is there a map that I can check out similar to MA?.......Feedback will be appreciated......thanks

Search is your friend.

Not in our town. You drop off the form and $10, and sign your (blank) P&RL. The paperwork gets processed and the form gets dropped off at your house.

Same in our town - pay $10 when you drop of the application. An officer delivered the permits to our house.

This. In Rindge the secretary apologized that it took so long. "So long" was three days later.

Same for Lancaster... I dropped off mine and my daughter's on Wednesday, they called her on Thursday to verify her name change, and called us on Friday morning to come pick them up (and apologized for taking so long).

The $10 is ONLY due when the license is issued, not upon application.

Back
Top Bottom