• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Conceal Carry in NH

The $10 is ONLY due when the license is issued, not upon application.

Again, this varies by city. As I stated above, it's done differently in my town, and there's nothing in RSA 159:6 that says "COD only."

The only reference:

The fee for licenses issued to residents of the state shall be $10, which fee shall be for the use of the town or city granting said licenses;

Was a very simple and straightforward process for me. Filled out the application, attatched my LTCC safety training certificate document , dropped it off at my local PD , then about 2 weeks later a message on my answering machine said it's been processed and come pick it up. I already knew the Chief as I live in a small quiet town. I had a quick conversation and his only comment was "know the laws, carry safe , have a good day".

Was a very simple and straightforward process for me. Filled out the application, attached my LTCC safety training certificate document , dropped it off at my local PD , then about 2 weeks later a message on my answering machine said it's been processed and come pick it up. I already knew the Chief as I live in a small quiet town. I had a quick conversation and his only comment was "know the laws, carry safe , have a good day".

What was the point of adding this?

NH is a very simple and straightforward process for EVERYBODY, per state law

Was a very simple and straightforward process for me. Filled out the application,attached my LTCC safety training certificate document , dropped it off at my local PD , then about 2 weeks later a message on my answering machine said it's been processed and come pick it up. I already knew the Chief as I live in a small quiet town. I had a quick conversation and his only comment was "know the laws, carry safe , have a good day".
What was the point of adding this?
Where does a NH resident even get a "LTCC safety training certificate document"? Drove down to MA?
[pot]

Last edited:
Looking for property in Southern NH. What am I to expect when applying for conceal carry in one of the small towns in Rockingham County?
Do I go in front of the chief of police in that town and get grilled or treated like a criminal? Does it very from town to town? Is there a map that I can check out similar to MA?.......Feedback will be appreciated......thanks
Depends on the town. I live in a small town in that same county, one with a chief who refuses to comply with state law.

Send in the application return-receipt. Do not pick one up from the PD, and do not walk it in.

P&R process should not "depend on the town" in New Hampshire

TMK, there are no towns left which provide their own variations on the state form, and only 1-2 towns where they use a supplemental form for reference phone #s, or otherwise "strongly recommend" applicants provide phone numbers.

If asking for digits is the worst abuse, can we call them red towns? Maybe salmon pink would be more appropriate?

Correct. I took a MA State Police sponsored LTCC safety class. Great class , touched on a lot of issues I never would have though of.
I'm not one to discourage getting all the training you can, but self-defense law and tradition in New Hampshire is quite different from Massa-we-discourage-self-help-chusetts.

Depends on the town. I live in a small town in that same county, one with a chief who refuses to comply with state law. Send in the application return-receipt. Do not pick one up from the PD, and do not walk it in.
There's nothing wrong with applying this way if you feel like taking a passive-aggressive approach to towns that break state law. As much as people keep saying that overthinking NH P&R application process really shouldn't be necessary, as long as people are willing to let the police photocopy their driver's license or insist on phone numbers for references, towns will get away with violating state law until somebody finally takes them to court.

That said, saying "Depends on the town" should be more like "Unless you have a record or live in one of three(?) crappy towns, don't worry about it". Even in those crappy towns, 98% of applications are approved, I hear about maybe one unreasonable denial case a year, usually involving an unsympathetic plaintiff like Derrick J, [thread=228700]Randall Pratt[/thread] or James Vittum.

Last edited:
Correct. I took a MA State Police sponsored LTCC safety class. Great class , touched on a lot of issues I never would have though of.

Sounds interesting.

What was the point of attaching that to your application, when it is specifically not required? Or even allowed to be considered?

Just trying to get a feel on your thinking here.

TMK, there are no towns left which provide their own variations on the state form, and only 1-2 towns where they use a supplemental form for reference phone #s, or otherwise "strongly recommend" applicants provide phone numbers.

If asking for digits is the worst abuse, can we call them red towns? Maybe salmon pink would be more appropriate?
Pink is fine. We should not be giving an inch. As it stands my chief refuses to put the correct expiration dates on P&Rs--and he's adamant about it.
There's nothing wrong with applying this way if you feel like taking a passive-aggressive approach to towns that break state law. As much as people keep saying that overthinking NH P&R application process really shouldn't be necessary, as long as people are willing to let the police photocopy their driver's license or insist on phone numbers for references, towns will get away with violating state law until somebody finally takes them to court.

That said, saying "Depends on the town" should be more like "Unless you have a record or live in one of three(?) crappy towns, don't worry about it". Even in those crappy towns, 98% of applications are approved, I hear about maybe one unreasonable denial case a year, usually involving an unsympathetic plaintiff like Derrick J, [thread=228700]Randall Pratt[/thread] or James Vittum.
Sounds great, especially "WNW of MHT," but down here in some of the border towns where the PDs might be headed by chiefs who are retired MA LEOs, it makes more sense to be cautious and not give authoritarians an in for demanding more information than is required by state law. For those of us who work, lengthy expensive court battles are far less appealing than simply tightening up an obvious gap to try to stave off trouble.

Back
Top Bottom