Compensator on AR15 in MA??

First, I understand that flash hiders and flash suppressors are illegal in MA on a post-ban AR however a recoil compensator is okay. Is this correct?

Second, if a compensator is legal, what are my options for installing one? I currently have a 16" bull barrel on my M&P...can one be attached to my current barrel by a gunsmith?? Or can my barrel be threaded to accept one?? Maybe I would need to buy a barrel with a compensator already installed?? I know there is really no recoil on an AR, but I would like a compensator installed basically for the aesthetics. I also like the look of the fake supressor cans, but those are made for threaded barrels as well. I would prefer just a compensator over the fake supressor. Any insight u guys can offer would be appreciated!!

First - correct. It needs to be permanently attached to the barrel as well.

Second - your barrel could be threaded, after being removed from the upper (it's going to have to fit in the lathe), to fit a compensator and then be welded/blind pinned/silver soldered to make it permanent. Or, if you can find a barrel set up the way you want it, installing that would be another option. Neither are all that cheap. Adco Firearms specializes in AR barrel work, and they'd run you around $150 plus the cost of the comp. Might want to ask the smiths local to you, see what they have to offer.

Yeah, ADCO is cool, they've done several of mine with a 3 day turn around. They will thread your barrel, install a supplied device or you can buy one from them. I use Battle Comps but I wanted to try the Stag 3G comp recently. I like it a lot, pushes the barrel down so you never lose sight of the target. I know, too much information, sorry.

First - correct. It needs to be permanently attached to the barrel as well.

Second - your barrel could be threaded, after being removed from the upper (it's going to have to fit in the lathe), to fit a compensator and then be welded/blind pinned/silver soldered to make it permanent. Or, if you can find a barrel set up the way you want it, installing that would be another option. Neither are all that cheap. r.

Threading a barrel should not be a big deal (or very expensive at all).

Threading a barrel should not be a big deal (or very expensive at all).

Adco charges $65 for threading by itself - I made the assumption that the OP was going to need the upper disassembled/reassembled and the device pinned or welded. Throw in shipping, and it's a job I'd take to someone local. I'd only outsource the threading, too. Everything else I can do at home.

I only see flash hiders on the ADCO website, do they offer compensators as well??

If Adco doesn't carry comps, you'd have to buy one and ship it with the barrel.

If you don't mind a quick thread hi-jack...

I'll probably register my 2012 NES lower as an SBR. Should I ever move out of state to a more gun-friendly location, it would be great if I could attach a suppressor to it without replacing the muzzle device. Are muzzle brakes that accept suppressors (such as this) as good a quality as those that do not? If so, are there any reasons why putting one on a rifle whilst in MA could land me in the gulag?

If you don't mind a quick thread hi-jack...

I'll probably register my 2012 NES lower as an SBR. Should I ever move out of state to a more gun-friendly location, it would be great if I could attach a suppressor to it without replacing the muzzle device. Are muzzle brakes that accept suppressors (such as this) as good a quality as those that do not? If so, are there any reasons why putting one on a rifle whilst in MA could land me in the gulag?

My concern would be whether the permanent suppressor capable brake would be interpreted as being a "...threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor". That particular PWS isn't obviously threaded, other designs might be seen as adding threading to the barrel - like this PWS for YHM Phantom suppressors:

FSC556-for-the-YHM-Phantom-Suppressor294-346.jpg

The more effective brakes are also loud - in some cases very loud - fillings rattled loose loud. Something to consider if you regularly shoot indoors, or under covered firing points.

Last edited:
My concern would be whether the permanent suppressor capable brake would be interpreted as being a "...threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor". That particular PWS isn't obviously threaded, other designs might be seen as adding threading to the barrel
I had considered that. I take it that the two comps utilize different mounting mechanisms for suppressors? Hence the lack of threading on the PWS, versus the YHM.

This might be worth opening a new thread over...

EDIT: No more thread hi-jack, I promise.

Last edited:
okay, can anyone tell me if they have any experience with the troy claymore muzzle brakes?? it seems there is mixed reviews on them...some say it doesn't really affect the recoil at all, other say it does. i'm torn between the JP, which is proven to reduce recoil, and the troy claymore which just looks mean!!! also, it seems there are 2 Troy Claymore Muzzle devices...the first one pictured below is intended to direct muzzle noise & muzzle blast forward, not so much affecting the recoil. the second one pictured below has the slots in the side to reduce muzzle rise & recoil, FYI. see below:

troy2.jpg

troy1.jpg

Last edited:
If you want it done locally, I believe these guys will thread barrels and permanently attach a muzzle device, and yes, in MA you'll need a device that is not a flash hider. It has to be a muzzle brake or compensator.

http://www.santurriltd.com/

As for a compensator, look for one that doesn't vent primarily out the side if you don't want to annoy your neighbors. Look for one that vents across the top from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock like the Battlecomp does. The Carlson Mini-comp is also good for this and pretty cheap but there are probably others.

They have videos of it on full-auto application where the muzzle has no rise at all, I'm pretty impressed. For half the price of the battlecomp!!! Spikes has a "shorty" version that almost looks identical to the battlecomp as well.

They have videos of it on full-auto application where the muzzle has no rise at all, I'm pretty impressed. For half the price of the battlecomp!!! Spikes has a "shorty" version that almost looks identical to the battlecomp as well.

Every company has that video, with a proper stance it doesn't matter what brake you use. But the good ones shine when you can't shoot in the proper stance

You get what you pay for

I wouldn't assume that, it's really up to the state. I'd avoid ones that emphasize flash hiding in their marketing.

as I understand the ATF classifies them as either a brake/comp or a flash hider. the distinction is somewhat grey in some cases but again the ATF classifies them. you don't have to worry about how much flash hiding is being performed by a comp/brake. if the comp/brake is labelled as a "comp/brake" then you're fine. IANAL but that is how it has been explained to me by literally everyone.

most of the modern brakes have a good deal of flash hiding as well. for example, my BCM gunfighter Mod 0 definitely hides flash no question, but it also acts like a brake and is labelled as a brake and that's why i bought the bastard so i don't sweat it.

as I understand the ATF classifies them as either a brake/comp or a flash hider. the distinction is somewhat grey in some cases but again the ATF classifies them. you don't have to worry about how much flash hiding is being performed by a comp/brake. if the comp/brake is labelled as a "comp/brake" then you're fine. IANAL but that is how it has been explained to me by literally everyone.

most of the modern brakes have a good deal of flash hiding as well. for example, my BCM gunfighter Mod 0 definitely hides flash no question, but it also acts like a brake and is labelled as a brake and that's why i bought the bastard so i don't sweat it.

ATF don't classify them any more.

Back
Top Bottom