Comments on shotgun "advice"

I'll be getting either a 12-ga persuader or a moss 20-ga. I think it'd be better to answer that bump in the night with my own sound of racking one!

You enjoy giving away your position, the fact that you are armed AND not being prepared fully if someone gets to you before you can rack it?

You enjoy giving away your position, the fact that you are armed AND not being prepared fully if someone gets to you before you can rack it?

That's why I currently keep my pistol hot. Haven't made up my mind about the shotgun yet when I get it. And still thinking about my pistol situation too, although I am fine with it.

Meanwhile, you make it sound as if Chuck Norris or an "Operator" is gonna be breaking in. I understand that anything is possible, but I'm fine with them knowing where I am if they suspect I'm in the house. I mean, if it's a bedtime break-in, am I gonna "surprise" them by popping out of a broom closet in the hall downstairs? Even the dumbest criminal just interested in my "things" knows that the homeowners are almost 100% upstairs sleeping, in various forms of clothing.

So am I ok with hearing a noise, waking up, taking a second to understand what's going on and grab my shotgun and racking one? Sure. That way they know that if they come upstairs and threaten my life or my girlfriends', they will be carried downstairs.

As for the cat...it's hers anyways. Keep it! [grin]

That's why I currently keep my pistol hot. Haven't made up my mind about the shotgun yet when I get it. And still thinking about my pistol situation too, although I am fine with it.

Meanwhile, you make it sound as if Chuck Norris or an "Operator" is gonna be breaking in. I understand that anything is possible, but I'm fine with them knowing where I am if they suspect I'm in the house. I mean, if it's a bedtime break-in, am I gonna "surprise" them by popping out of a broom closet in the hall downstairs? Even the dumbest criminal just interested in my "things" knows that the homeowners are almost 100% upstairs sleeping, in various forms of clothing.

So am I ok with hearing a noise, waking up, taking a second to understand what's going on and grab my shotgun and racking one? Sure. That way they know that if they come upstairs and threaten my life or my girlfriends', they will be carried downstairs.

As for the cat...it's hers anyways. Keep it! [grin]

Im more looking at my own setup and thinking that if someone comes in they see closed doors to rooms with no easily defined purpose. No idea where the people may be unless they have done a very thorough job of casing the place (Always possible) and Id rather have the element of surprise at least as much as I can. Id like to stack the deck as much in my own favor as the situation allows, if thats only a couple seconds where I know where they are and they dont know where I am i'll take it. Might mean the difference between me walking away from the situation or them.

While I agree with MXD's sentiment, there is one point that I would argue with him. At the point where you grab a lethal force weapon (Firearm or other) you need not have made the decision to apply lethal force, only that lethal force may be necessary. The point where one makes the lethal force determination is when the lethal weapon is aimed. While these points may be extremely close in time in some situations, in others they could be spaced significantly.

Example:
Wake up in the middle of the night, to what you think was shattered glass. This is followed by a bump or creek on the first floor.
Sit up and get handgun with flashlight.
move to storage of shotguns.
Remove first shotgun and hand to wife, tell her to be prepared to call 911.
Remove second shotgun and place pistol on belt.
Open bedroom door and cover stairwell
Direct Wife to son's bedroom.
Close son's bedroom door.
Sweep House to determine source of sound. (If I lived in MA, this would be replaced with calling 911 and exiting the house from my son's bedroom in an attempt to flee)

In that example I have taken deadly weapons into hand 3 times, but at no point have I made the decision to apply lethal force, merely to have it ready.

I think we are basically saying the same thing but allow me to clarify why I put it the way I did. I have a house alarm and a barking dog LOL. If both go off in the middle of the night I am grabbing my 12g and covering the stairway from the top with my wife and kids safely in my sons closet which is the one furthest from the line of sight up the stairs should someone fire up at me. I have NO intention of clearing my house or finding out where the noise came from. What if you go down there and there are 5 shotguns pointing back at you? I am much safer prone at the top of my stairway defending the second floor. Let the police come and clear my house. So in my example above, I have decided to shoot as soon as I lay my hand on my SG because until the police arrive there is no reason for anyone to come up my bedroom stairs. If they do....I shoot. The decision is already made.

Im more looking at my own setup and thinking that if someone comes in they see closed doors to rooms with no easily defined purpose. No idea where the people may be unless they have done a very thorough job of casing the place (Always possible) and Id rather have the element of surprise at least as much as I can. Id like to stack the deck as much in my own favor as the situation allows, if thats only a couple seconds where I know where they are and they dont know where I am i'll take it. Might mean the difference between me walking away from the situation or them.

A prudent plan. I'm glad you explained your position, as I was admittedly defensive of your ciriticism[wink]
In my house, all the room doors are generally open, and we sleep with our door open because the bedroom seems to heat up too much for me to sleep (not always in that way either ha!) So basically a most-stealth ninja could see into every room in the house.

I definitely can understand your wanting of all the seconds you can have in that situation. Luckily for me I have a very creaky house, and am a hair-sleeper. Though I would love to sleep like a rock for a change

Back
Top Bottom