• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Collectors Guns, Stoneham, MA

Different strokes, different folks. I love their kind of customer service. No hassle, no pressure, low-key. I was impressed that I asked a question about the year a revolver was made and, instead of getting a confident guess, stood there for five minutes while they dug out the S&W catalog and looked up the number. I'd rather get a right answer than a fast one. I definitely didn't get the sense that they suffer fools in there, and to me that's not a negative.

It's going to become my go-to shop.

It seems that the only ones that have an issue with this gun shop, are the the people who can not even make a commitment to the forum that gives them the freedom to dump on this GREAT Gun SHOP!!!!!

Xgolf,Adrand,Boozemonkey,come guys Join NES!!!!

How long have you guys been in this game? Every 4 years the same shit happens, but this time it is Bad.

If the gun or ammo is not out there they do not have it!!!!

Why would they hide it? It is not a game of hide and shike in the shop.

Most gun shops have been doing 6 months of work in 6 weeks!!!

There has been a gun shortage for the past 48 months if you guys have not noticed.

I have because I was a gun dealer the past 36 months!!!!

Before I became a Dealer I would drive 70 miles each way to Collectors Guns in Stoneham, because of the great selection,service and prices.

I have been a client of theirs for years and will continue to be.

Fred

talked to an older guy behind the counter one night. He was nice and polite and looked for the guns i asked about. ended up picking up some ammo. overall a good experience. I also really like FS, it's great to have 2 stores so close to work.

Well said Fred. I live 15 mins from Collectors and frequent them a lot, more often than FS. They are a good group of guys that carry a ton of ammo. Eh, one bad experience and they whine all over NES.

Has nothing to do with being an NES'er. I'll be soon enough. It has everything to do with how I was treated on multiple occasions. I don't expect to be treated like royalty when I enter, a hello would be enough. Also as someone with a new LTC I was more than enthusiastic about learning and spending my money with a good shop. I had a lot of questions. Did they care? Absolutely not. I go there only when necessity dictates and I have no other choice. I'll share another story. I went back to ask about shotgun shells for my dad's old hand me down. I told him what size I needed but did not know what a good load would be to pattern before going to hunt geese/duck/waterfowl. He pointed to the shotgun section, I looked, and when I turned around he was gone. I lol'd hard. I would think that being a new shooter and new to gun ownership that you would help me find the right products so I am satisfied AND I don't hurt myself or others in the process. When I was in sales it was help the customer through the whole process. From greeting to support after the customer left. If they are to lazy to even spend a minute on me so I learn something, shame on them. Also as I stated before, this was before the gun panic. I realize that after the panic all dealers are stressed and temperamental...while they are raking in dough......

For me it takes a lot to write a bad review. I mean you really have to completely ignore me as a customer lol. We are at diametrically opposite ends of the bell curve when it comes to Collector's customer service and experience.

I don't know what the problem is with those that have had bad experiences here.

I can only speak for myself, I've been what I'd call an occasional customer (since I'm almost 1 hour away) since ~1998 at all 3 locations they have had in Stoneham. I have always been treated very well, a "hi" when I enter, usually asked if they can help me (I'm usually browsing) and then they let me just cruise around until I ask for help (this is what I prefer). I've had Jack order a gun for me special and refused to take my cc when I ordered it (by phone) and told me it was fine to just pay when I come in to pick it up. I've never had a bad experience here!

I was there last Friday night.

They had some .32 ammo I could not find elsewhere.

Cleaning Kit and some brushes, too.

Clerk was pleasant, and all prices were very fair.

Collectors is my choice in the area, just went with a coworker to pickup a long gun shipped in from Virginia. Easy transaction, everyone was helpful and only one other customer at the time.

I go there weekly or more, easy in and out and prices are decent, sometimes better on ammo. Ordered stuff in the past, all quick and easy, my favorite shop within 20 miles!

Let me break down the staff at Collectors so maybe you antis can understand.

Jack G-Owner.- Legally deaf, wears hearing aids. If he ignores you, he probably didnt hear you.
Jack C- Legally blind. If he ignores you, probably didnt see you.
Jerry G- Medical condition with his back and legs, Always in pain, can translate to being grumpy, but he's not.
Bill G- well, lets just say, thats his name, and he is CO-Owner with Jack G. Not there as often.

All these guys are great, maybe you just need to get to know them.

Jack G-Owner.- Legally deaf, wears hearing aids. If he ignores you, he probably didnt hear you.
Jerry G- Medical condition with his back and legs, Always in pain, can translate to being grumpy, but he's not.
Bill G- well, lets just say, thats his name, and he is CO-Owner with Jack G. Not there as often.

Excuses. I don't see a single reason there to be miserable towards customers and treat them the way these individuals do. All blind and deaf people are miserable? No way.

Collectors has been my deaf to shop lately. Kind of sad I haven't been in there this week.

I just got a pistol from them and jack c made sure to say thank you and shake my hand. That means a lot to me.

I'll return to the store, even if I have a bad one time experience, until that one time becomes the norm.

I go there often. I appreciate the way I'm treated when I'm there. I prefer it over FS. The guys aren't down your throat, you don't need to wait in line to be served, and you get answers when you ask questions.

Some people say the customer is always right......in the case of some of the previous posters, I'd say the customer was probably a pain in the ass.

That is all it takes!!!!! The magic word.

I can go into the shop say hi, if they are busy ask if I can help myself, and go behind the counters and look at what I want.

That is the Kind of service you can get from them.

Fred

I have bought an AR-15 and my Remington R1 1911 from them and the gentleman was more excited that my first pistol purchase was going to be a 1911 then I was. I like this store and its only a few minutes from my house.

I'm in the process of trying to find a M&P 40c. I posted on the WTB and searched the net for any shops that might have one. I get to Collectors and they have one listed so I give them a call around 3pm on a day they were open. When a guy answers the phone, I ask him if he has a few minutes to answer a few questions to which he replies " not really". I ask if he can call me back when he gets a chance and he says " what's your question, then?". So I explain that they have a M&P 40c listed on the web site in inventory and would like some info on it. He says " let me take a look .... you know what, let me call you back when I find it and have it right in front of me". I say o.k., here's my #, Thanks and he says o.k. We hang up.
The next day I'm expecting a follow-up call and don't get one. So I go to their web site, look up the 40c and it's gone from the page. I'm not mad per-se just a little perturbed that I called them about a gun, asked if they can call me when they get a chance as well as leave my #. I understand that they can't be up to the minute with what's on the shelves vs what just went out the door but to then pull the listing and not reply as a courtesy, doesn't sit well with me.
Normally, I ask whom I'm speaking with to help them and myself to refresh the topic if needed. Because the guy told me he was kind of busy I didn't ask for his name, figured he would get back to me.

I'm in the process of trying to find a M&P 40c. I posted on the WTB and searched the net for any shops that might have one. I get to Collectors and they have one listed so I give them a call around 3pm on a day they were open. When a guy answers the phone, I ask him if he has a few minutes to answer a few questions to which he replies " not really". I ask if he can call me back when he gets a chance and he says " what's your question, then?". So I explain that they have a M&P 40c listed on the web site in inventory and would like some info on it. He says " let me take a look .... you know what, let me call you back when I find it and have it right in front of me". I say o.k., here's my #, Thanks and he says o.k. We hang up.
The next day I'm expecting a follow-up call and don't get one. So I go to their web site, look up the 40c and it's gone from the page. I'm not mad per-se just a little perturbed that I called them about a gun, asked if they can call me when they get a chance as well as leave my #. I understand that they can't be up to the minute with what's on the shelves vs what just went out the door but to then pull the listing and not reply as a courtesy, doesn't sit well with me.
Normally, I ask whom I'm speaking with to help them and myself to refresh the topic if needed. Because the guy told me he was kind of busy I didn't ask for his name, figured he would get back to me.

Wouldn't expect anything less from this shop. Best to take your business somewhere that wants it.

Just stopped by for some shotgun ammo... A no nonsense bunch as always.

Never had anything but a pleasant, efficient experience with them. If I were looking for someone to hold my hand... Well, I guess I would not be into guns. [laugh]

Seriously though, these are trying times for everyone, take a deep breath.

Gun stores have never been stunning examples of friendly customer service, but I don't get why they have stuck to bankers hours in this market. Even banks are open nights and weekends now.

Just stopped by for some shotgun ammo... A no nonsense bunch as always.

Never had anything but a pleasant, efficient experience with them. If I were looking for someone to hold my hand... Well, I guess I would not be into guns. [laugh]

Seriously though, these are trying times for everyone, take a deep breath.

Well said. I bought a Henry last month and it took maybe 15 minutes. Always get treated fairly and their hours are decent.

I was interested in that M&P. only. Like I said, they are busy, I get that, if someone calls your business for a product, leaves their contact info for something they may purchase from you, the least you could do is tell them that it's still for sale, on hold for somebody or sold. End of story.
I'm not being a dick about this just mentioning it for others to read. YMMV.
I will say that they were quick to take it off their web site though, glad I was able to help them update their inventory so no other buyer had the same experience and never went back because of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom