• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Collapsable stock?

Kind of irritates me that they just don't call it a semi-automatic rifle.... simple and to the point.

Semi-auto just refers to the operating mechanism and is pretty vague at that if someone's trying to distinguish types of operating systems, e.g. direct impingement, long-stroke gas piston, short-stroke gas piston, etc. If I say "I want a semi-auto rifle", that includes everything from a 10/22 to a 742 to a semi-auto clone of a M1919. Though, to be fair, if someone says "I want a MSR", everyone would likely assume the speaker means an AR, which is probably a fair assumption.

The term has its uses and I remember it mostly being pushed by TTAG. They're a bit... over-intellectualized, I'd say, on TTAG. For example, they're also big fans of the term "cognoscenti." I stopped reading TTAG probably six, seven years ago. The term's original intended use was to have a phrase that countered "assault weapons" in anti-speak. Such as if someone was speaking at a legislative hearing and said something along the lines of "the AR-15 in consumers' hands is not a 'weapon of war' but instead a modern sporting rifle that I use for competition, home defense, and hunting."

I've never really associated "MSR" with douchey-ness, though, I don't use it very often myself and I only use it for short-hand when referring to ARs, AKs, FALs, G3s, etc. as a group.

Kind of irritates me that they just don't call it a semi-automatic rifle.... simple and to the point.
I'm fond of the old school definition of self loading, magazine fed.
On a plus side you get that funny look of "what are those".[smile]

To me, modern sporting rifle is a term used by those who want to appease or placify detractors of 2A.

My firearms are not for sporting. Yes, they are a lifestyle and a hobby for me, but ultimately I view my firearms as the most efficient way to eliminate a threat to my life and my family's lives.

OP you have to understand that the MA gun laws,are there to save your life.Before the law God knows how many people were killed buy collapsible stocks,pistol grips,flash hiders,and one of the
most dangerous the bayonet lug.Now places like Florida have found a way to keep these items from killing anyone,so they,are allowed to be put on any rifle.Maybe if you buy one of the collapsible stocks from Florida no one could get hurt by it.

OP you have to understand that the MA gun laws,are there to save your life.Before the law God knows how many people were killed buy collapsible stocks,pistol grips,flash hiders,and one of the
most dangerous the bayonet lug.Now places like Florida have found a way to keep these items from killing anyone,so they,are allowed to be put on any rifle.Maybe if you buy one of the collapsible stocks from Florida no one could get hurt by it.

God knows how many lives have been saved by restricting the movement of the shoulder thing that goes up.

Truth.

I still shudder every time I hear the term "barrel shroud."

It's not such a bad term, if properly applied.

m1919a4.jpg

gau-8-avenger-002.jpg

[smile]

Back
Top Bottom