• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cody Wilson and the Second Amendment Foundation SUING US Dept of State

Oh this is going to be Epic.

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS AUSTIN DIVISION DEFENSE DISTRIBUTED and SECOND AMENDMENT FOUNDATION, INC. Plaintiffs

v.U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE; JOHN F. KERRY, in his official capacity as Secretary of State; DIRECTORATE OF DEFENSE TRADE CONTROLS, Department of State Bureau of Political Military Affairs; KENNETH B. HANDELMAN, individually and in his official capacity as Deputy Assistant Secretary, Defense Trade Controls, Bureau of Political Military Affairs, Department of State; C. EDWARD PEARTREE, individually and in his official capacity as Director, Office of Defense Trade Controls Policy, Bureau of Political Military Affairs, Department of State; SARAH J. HEIDEMA, individually and in her official capacity as Division Chief, Regulatory and Multilateral Affairs, Office of Defense Trade Controls Policy, Bureau of Political Military Affairs, Department of State; and GLENN SMITH, individually and in his official capacity as Senior Advisor, Office of Defense Trade Controls, Bureau of Political Military Affairs, Department of State, Defendants.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/264435890/Defense-Distributed-et-al-v-U-S-Dept-of-State

Last edited:
Designer of 3-D-printed gun challenges feds to Constitutional duel

Cody Wilson had a vision to forward the digital revolution by creating the nation’s first firearm on a 3-D printer, and, taking a page from WikiLeaks, share the blueprints with the world via the Internet in what he called the “Wiki Weapons project.” Now he is suing the federal government in hopes of keeping his dream on target - and staying out of prison.

Wilson was so taken with the idea, he dropped out of law school and designed "The Liberator," the nation’s first pistol built exclusively on a 3-D printer, consisting of 12 separate parts made from plastic and a single metal firing pin.

“The technology will break gun control. I stand for freedom.”

- Cody Wilson
Within two days of publishing the blueprints on the Internet, on May 5, 2013, 100,000 people around the world had downloaded them. The goal, Wilson said, was to invalidate the government’s “unconstitutional” hold on gun technology.

“The technology will break gun control,” said Wilson, who formed the non-profit organization, Defense Distributed, with his partner, Ben Denio, in Little Rock, Ark., in the summer of 2012. “I stand for freedom.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...d-gun-challenges-feds-to-constitutional-duel/

WTF is he suing them for?

Seriously though, he is a cool dude and has a heart in the right place, but there is little need to drop off the law school to design a plastic gun. Plenty of these designs already on the internet, something that could be built from a trip to Home Despot. Now that plastic gun novelty fizzled out, there is that need to stay current and keep poking the bear. We'll see how it goes.

Seriously though, he is a cool dude and has a heart in the right place, but there is little need to drop off the law school to design a plastic gun. Plenty of these designs already on the internet, something that could be built from a trip to Home Despot. Now that plastic gun novelty fizzled out, there is that need to stay current and keep poking the bear. We'll see how it goes.

The point of what he did with the plastic gun was to provide a path for lawsuits like this one. The point wasn't the gun, it was the ideas, thus this lawsuit, and others like it, is the goal.

The point of what he did with the plastic gun was to provide a path for lawsuits like this one. The point wasn't the gun, it was the ideas, thus this lawsuit, and others like it, is the goal.

This. The plastic gun is not important. The IDEA of making a gun at home is important.

I just read the whole thing over again and I see snowballs chance in hell this going anywhere aside from a trashcan. Some points on freedom of speech and publishing any information, which I would agree on, there is no way in hell a judge would admit that publishing just about any info on the web is a constitutional right, that judge being left or right. ... So what's the point of this besides just getting back into the news?

The lawsuit is unnecessarily wordy and broad. If you can't explain what he is suing for in an elevator pitch, few people will care.

I just read the whole thing over again and I see snowballs chance in hell this going anywhere aside from a trashcan. Some points on freedom of speech and publishing any information, which I would agree on, there is no way in hell a judge would admit that publishing just about any info on the web is a constitutional right, that judge being left or right. ... So what's the point of this besides just getting back into the news?

The lawsuit is unnecessarily wordy and broad. If you can't explain what he is suing for in an elevator pitch, few people will care.

I think those of us with more knowledge take too many things for granted. He's playing a long game, I think. Most people don't understand the sort of machinations of which government is constructed, and Cody is going about the business of exposing it for the racket that it is. He is trying to back the system into the corner of being forced to clarify itself. To me, it's similar to what Comm2A has been trying to do, just attacking a different problem.

Edit:

Here is what my elevator pitch for this would be: The internet is to the modern world what newspapers and letters were to those who wrote the Constitution. Freedom of speech can't be arbitrarily restricted, any restrictions on that right must be clear and carefully tailored.

Last edited:
Violating his First, Second and Fifth Amendment rights.

just reading some excerpts on claimed damages:

The Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution requires the Government to provide fair notice of what is prohibited, prohibits vague laws, and prevents arbitrary enforcement of the laws.
... welcome to ****ing Massachusetts.

There are many approaches to take to fight injustice, but this approach just makes little sense to me. The kind of shit foisted upon people of Cali, MA and DC goes well beyond the shit that he claims. Our own 2a foundation, while making progress, is still has most of its work ahead of them.

I think Browncoat did a good job above of explaining what this lawsuit is about.
In my view it's about this: the fact that we have to go through ten thousand layers of bureaucracy and 3 - 4 letter agencies and state departments and a web of insanity to find out if we can do something. When instead it should be the other way around.

We should be free except where explicitly prohibited and agreed upon BY THE PEOPLE, not by 50 different bureaucratic organizations who can't even tell you whether what you're doing is illegal or not.

ayn-rand-writer-we-are-fast-approaching-the-stage-of-the-ultimate.jpg

Last edited:
I think those of us with more knowledge take too many things for granted. He's playing a long game, I think. Most people don't understand the sort of machinations of which government is constructed, and Cody is going about the business of exposing it for the racket that it is. He is trying to back the system into the corner of being forced to clarify itself. To me, it's similar to what Comm2A has been trying to do, just attacking a different problem.

I don't know man, it seems to me that .gov racket and general lawlessness, corruption has been exposed long time ago. Dancing around legal bullshit and arguing finer points of corruption just doesn't seem to be too productive.

I like Ares armor approach better. Instead of bitching and whining how useless plastic gun files (which have been shared billion times over) are "prohibited", they actually make shit that is useful, albeit in fruity calibers and can be and are used today.

I just see all this legal bullshit not making any difference. Cheap guns are still made in countries where they are prohibited using the old techniques, from steel and wood, and they are 100% effective. The plastic gun approach haven't changed shit except raised some faggy hypothetical questions and spurred pimpled discussions.

Mark my word, here is the litmus test for his or anyone's efforts in efficacy: when you make a REAL difference, the .gov will come after YOU.

just reading some excerpts on claimed damages:

... welcome to ****ing Massachusetts.

There are many approaches to take to fight injustice, but this approach just makes little sense to me. The kind of shit foisted upon people of Cali, MA and DC goes well beyond the shit that he claims. Our own 2a foundation, while making progress, is still has most of its work ahead of them.

You get a gold star if you make the next logical jump between your statement and the implications if he wins.

Btw you sound like the NRA before Alan Gura won the Heller decision. Don't be so pessimistic :)

While Mr. Wilson is a gun enthusiast, he has long maintained that his goal in publishing his files was not necessarily a Second Amendment issue, but rather a declaration that the government should not be in the business of controlling information about new technologies.
“I’ve always led with the rhetoric that information should be free,” he said, “but there was also an attitude of rote defiance, an allergy to authority, that I think is authentically American.”
It is because of that attitude, he said, that he believes he has found himself under withering government scrutiny.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/07/u...ctions-online-sues-state-department.html?_r=0

He wasn't really making plastic guns for sale, he demonstrated that a plastic gun could be made and fired. His business makes the Ghost Gunner, a CNC machine capable of machining gun parts or any other metal things. It's no different from other CNC machines except he advertises it for making gun parts and it's affordable for the layperson.

His .gov censored his distribution of the files to print/machine parts so he went "underground" with the distribution. He wasn't selling guns to people, it was up to them to build within the confines of the law, but Big Brother punished him for ThoughtCrime anyway.

I've been putting off donating to SAF for a while for no good reason, today's the day I stopped putting it off.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/09/politics/3-d-guns/index.html

Some of the screen shot I sent you , I've been looking into having the bolt printed from metal . I'm still researching the strength of the part . But I could have the bolt printed for under 100$ .
Some of the shops I've looked into are pretty cheap since its quoted by volume .
If I can't sell my Idea id upload it .

Last edited:
You get a gold star if you make the next logical jump between your statement and the implications if he wins.

Btw you sound like the NRA before Alan Gura won the Heller decision. Don't be so pessimistic :)

but most likely you'd get hammer and a sickle in yo ass ... as usual. [laugh]

This would be a good time for someone from com2a to chime in on likelyhood of this going anywhere.

Let me repeat this : when you make a REAL difference, the .gov will come after YOU.

This is the reason when Ares got raided, you ****ing knew that they trying to rape the bear and bear didn't like it. So I'd rather see them and people like them (i.e. that guy from Texas who got railroaded for 50BMG rifle kits) get all the support, rather then this intellectual and ineffective bullshit. Unfortunately people who made the biggest bite against tyranny are the biggest loosers of all, not some one who barks the loudest.

He wasn't really making plastic guns for sale, he demonstrated that a plastic gun could be made and fired. His business makes the Ghost Gunner, a CNC machine capable of machining gun parts or any other metal things. It's no different from other CNC machines except he advertises it for making gun parts and it's affordable for the layperson.

I've been putting off donating to SAF for a while for no good reason, today's the day I stopped putting it off.

BINGO:

"Those who would outlaw weapons must first outlaw the knowledge of weapons. And those who would outlaw the knowledge of weapons must outlaw knowledge itself. "

http://www.lneilsmith.org/chaos.html

Some of you may Remember Phillip Zimmerman's case with PGP.

Same story, different idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy#Criminal_investigation

Cody is going as far as challenging ITAR regulations, **** winning battles, **** winning fightst that you can win, he wants to win everything with just one lawsuit. That's why it's on the road to fail.

BINGO:

"Those who would outlaw weapons must first outlaw the knowledge of weapons. And those who would outlaw the knowledge of weapons must outlaw knowledge itself. "

See, that's not the problem. That shit ain't outlawed. There are bazillion of sources on gun building down to finer points of rifling your own barrels. Any ****ing gun out there. No one is suppressing this shit.

The fundamental problem is that most people don't care about building guns at all. Most shooters just don't want to be bothered with it.

Look at the case of Bob Stewart and his very very specific case. Why weren't there enough support behind him??? Why wasn't it as loud as this plastic nonsense??? He was making a difference, a real ****ing difference, none of this hypothetical faggy hipster bullshit you girls masturbate about.

but most likely you'd get hammer and a sickle in yo ass ... as usual. [laugh]

This would be a good time for someone from com2a to chime in on likelyhood of this going anywhere.

Let me repeat this : when you make a REAL difference, the .gov will come after YOU.

This is the reason when Ares got raided, you ****ing knew that they trying to rape the bear and bear didn't like it. So I'd rather see them and people like them (i.e. that guy from Texas who got railroaded for 50BMG rifle kits) get all the support, rather then this intellectual and ineffective bullshit. Unfortunately people who made the biggest bite against tyranny are the biggest loosers of all, not some one who barks the loudest.

He's been arrested on conspiracy charges, had his online files censored, had his website seized by the .gov, had his shipper suddenly decide at the last minute not to ship his CNC machines...

It sounds like they're coming after him. The difference here is they don't have actual gun parts to go after like they did with Ares. The .gov has demonstrated that it will violate your 1st, 4th, 5th Amendment rights in an effort to make sure they don't lose their ability to restrict your 2nd Amendment rights. That's what he's fighting against.

Cody is going as far as challenging ITAR regulations, **** winning battles, **** winning fightst that you can win, he wants to win everything with just one lawsuit. That's why it's on the road to fail.

See, that's not the problem. That shit ain't outlawed. There are bazillion of sources on gun building down to finer points of rifling your own barrels. Any ****ing gun out there. No one is suppressing this shit.

The fundamental problem is that most people don't care about building guns at all. Most shooters just don't want to be bothered with it.

Look at the case of Bob Stewart and his very very specific case. Why weren't there enough support behind him??? Why wasn't it as loud as this plastic nonsense??? He was making a difference, a real ****ing difference, none of this hypothetical faggy hipster bullshit you girls masturbate about.

Boris, I appreciate the fact that I am not as manly as you are. One day maybe I will beat my share of plows into swords. However, I think that you are missing the point of what Cody is trying to do. It is not about building plastic guns. It is exactly about publicizing how easy it is to do. He's trying to demonstrate that the ability to build guns is not something that can be controlled. Can you go to homedepot and buy a pipe and a nail and fire a shotgun shell? Yes. That's not going to capture hearts and minds though, and that is the battleground on which Cody is fighting.

He's been arrested on conspiracy charges, had his online files censored, had his website seized by the .gov, had his shipper suddenly decide at the last minute not to ship his CNC machines...

It sounds like they're coming after him. The difference here is they don't have actual gun parts to go after like they did with Ares. The .gov has demonstrated that it will violate your 1st, 4th, 5th Amendment rights in an effort to make sure they don't lose their ability to restrict your 2nd Amendment rights. That's what he's fighting against.

Yes. The evidence of the threat he poses is in that they ARE coming after him. He has been smart enough that they can't actually get him for anything. Is his CNC machine anything special? Not really, but what he is demonstrating is that the control of physical objects is stupid when the means of production can't be controlled. The courts have given us some pretty nice victories lately, I'm not sure that that avenue can be described as completely ineffectual.

I'd actually like to hear opinions on the lawsuit from Rob or some of the other attorneys on this board. Maybe they can clarify the lawsuit and give us some real context here.
That would certainly be worthy of my buying anyone of them a beer at the very least, if not a steak dinner :D

I'd actually like to hear opinions on the lawsuit from Rob or some of the other attorneys on this board. Maybe they can clarify the lawsuit and give us some real context here.
That would certainly be worthy of my buying anyone of them a beer at the very least, if not a steak dinner :D

indeed, that would be most welcome! [cheers]

Edit:

Here is what my elevator pitch for this would be: The internet is to the modern world what newspapers and letters were to those who wrote the Constitution. Freedom of speech can't be arbitrarily restricted, any restrictions on that right must be clear and carefully tailored.

Anyone paying attention knows it's the best racket going was been for a long time. The only play he can go for here is a supreme court ruling. But then it becomes about plastic guns not rights.

Brittish Press on Cody Wilson - ISIS's best friend

Never one to mince words, the British Press weighs in:

Fears ISIS terrorists could soon print 3D guns for just £100 thanks to anarchist weapons fanatic

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/fears-isis-terrorists-could-soon-7239042#

ISIS thugs could soon be using 3D-printed machine guns that cost £100.

Ruthless Cody Wilson could put the lives of hundreds of innocent Brits at risk by handing terrorists the ability to build 3D weapons .

And the firearms fanatic was tonight branded irresponsible for boasting his world-first printable plastic weapon may be available within weeks – as fears grew that IS thugs may launch a Paris-style massacre on UK soil with them.

Back
Top Bottom