CMP Vintage Match OCSA 10/15/2017 Poll German, Japanese or British

What rifle for the next CMP Vintage Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mac1911

NES Member
So im a little undecided about the next Vintage match Rifle of Choice
1. I want to redeem myself with the K98. ammo Cast loads
2. Have yet to shoot a Arisaka in the matches and would like to either bring A: Unlce Pauls Trophy 99...ammo cast loads
3. Type 99 that shoots the best...ammo cast loads Just for reference to the 2 type 99s I have to choose from
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...-7-7-jap-from-30-06-getting-ready-for-a-match
4. The No4 Mk2 - yet to shoot this a=in a match either. HXP 303

Disclaimer: I will be giving the arisaka and the Enfield a zero test before the match and as long as I can get minute of black (6 moa ish) I will use them.

Last edited:
I'd like to see an Arisaka shoot. I don't remember Dad shooting the bring-back my Grandfather gave him. Headspace issue, and my brother has it now.

I need to look at the bottom of my ammo lockers- might have a vintage box of Norma 7.7 Jap.

I'd like to see an Arisaka shoot. I don't remember Dad shooting the bring-back my Grandfather gave him. Headspace issue, and my brother has it now.

I need to look at the bottom of my ammo lockers- might have a vintage box of Norma 7.7 Jap.

I also want to see what Franco will say I will also be shooting pooozzzzeee ammuntion

I may bring the Eddystone I picked up from Majspud and will shoot the 110 gr light loads if they'll shoot at 200. Those things spit out the tube like 22LR. Planning a Granby trip for Sunday AM to check them out.

You should be dug out and brought back to life.
You want to give up the Norma I would love to compare it to the PPU for case dimensions.

As for the 110s they are silly light. I have a plinking load of 130 grain cast. No gas check and they run about 1050 fps. I'm not sure they will make it to 200 yards with any accuracy? I will figure out the drop later.

Last edited:
Didn't get a chance to head to Granby yesterday to test the 110's. Experienced a special level of hell taking my wife and college kid to Ikea on it's busiest weekend. I'll take the Eddystone, CMP Special, and 513T to my local range today.

I could put some juice behind those 110's- 55 gr of Varget gets 3452 fps [shocked]. I'm guessing that might be a little rough on the bore of a vintage barrel. If I had something with a Criterion barrel in one of my bolt guns I'd try it. No way in hell in the NM star gauged barrel.

Looked in the ammo lockers and didn't see the Norma- must have given it to my brother who has the rifle. If I see a box of something at Pack and Postal, you want me to grab it? Might get there for lunch tomorrow.

I have a bayonet that I think came off the Arisaka, but it would no longer fit since Gramps sporterized the Arisaka. Yeah not original but it's a really nice looking rifle.

Pussy Loads ! :)
I don't even think they reach poozzee class

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't get a chance to head to Granby yesterday to test the 110's. Experienced a special level of hell taking my wife and college kid to Ikea on it's busiest weekend. I'll take the Eddystone, CMP Special, and 513T to my local range today.

I could put some juice behind those 110's- 55 gr of Varget gets 3452 fps [shocked]. I'm guessing that might be a little rough on the bore of a vintage barrel. If I had something with a Criterion barrel in one of my bolt guns I'd try it. No way in hell in the NM star gauged barrel.

Looked in the ammo lockers and didn't see the Norma- must have given it to my brother who has the rifle. If I see a box of something at Pack and Postal, you want me to grab it? Might get there for lunch tomorrow.

I have a bayonet that I think came off the Arisaka, but it would no longer fit since Gramps sporterized the Arisaka. Yeah not original but it's a really nice looking rifle.

no need on the ammo. bayonet[smile] might be interested

since it looks like the war torn T99 will be the winner i started testing that first.
Looks like H4895 will be the winner for load development from my short little test...This method has work well for me. there might not be a enough data for some to decide which way to go but i dont have time for that shit

the results
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...-7-7-jap-from-30-06-getting-ready-for-a-match

the best test group of the day. will need to drift front sight if it will move. few more test loads to try with the H4895
57CZrGw.jpg

Last edited:
That doesn't seem too bad- 10-ring if you move the group.
if/when you see this rifle 3moa is real ****ing good!

the 200 grain bullet with 25 grains of H4895 at 1500 fps is not as whimpy as the 165s..not much recoil but you don't get that muzzle pop delay........ then smack of the paper down range. Also the 165s have a flat nose adding to the smack I think. I need to see if there is a lighter .314" flat nose mold out there

8FPqqnBh.jpg

Im trying out a new app called target buddy...does what the current system im using does but on a smart phone.
Im having trouble trying to figure out how to save the data and it has adds so its annoying

Last edited:
I think this bore scope has run its course....fiddled with it for 10 minutes and it was crapping out so this video is rough.
Anyhow the #150 T99 bore looks better the more I shoot it. Except for that one spot about 1" down from the muzzle at 6 oclock aroun 1min in the video the chrome bore has held up well... well now I need to cast and lube some more bullets. next up is quick ammo test for the project M1and then to see which M1 gets the 308 conversion

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to get out before the rain came but the target did not survive the small down pour.
Nothing to get excited about.
I ran 25,26,27 grains of H4895. The 25 grain held around 3moa the 26 and 27 just opened up some more. So it's 25 grains and cross my fingers.

Was glad to get the front sight moving. It had to soak in kroil for a few days before it budged.
Moved it over just enough now just hope it holds 3moa out to 200 yards. Still need to find the 200 yard sight setting.

finally picked up some new factory brass....should be good for a few more 10s
KBVbL6ch.jpg

mixed it up in the polls a little bit to!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom