CMP Now Selling limited number of 308 Garands

Just curious what's the reasoning behind a Garand in 308. If someone were to buy their first, what would make them.go.with a 308 over a 3006, or if they already had one in 3006, why would they pick one up in 308?

Just curious what's the reasoning behind a Garand in 308. If someone were to buy their first, what would make them.go.with a 308 over a 3006, or if they already had one in 3006, why would they pick one up in 308?
There are others who might have better reasons, but my guess would be the abundance of 7.62x51 ammo compared to M1 safe 30-06 is a factor. .308 should also have slightly better recoil, I assume, although the Garand's is not much to begin with. My understanding is that .308 has better accuracy potential than 30-06, but I am a novice competitor.

The 308 is a pretty efficient powder burner.
Which one is more accurate? To be debated.
The M1 garands in its 7.62 NATO offerings where a product of change to the M14 although the change to 762NATO was a little faster than the production of the M14... especially to the navy and other non large numbers needed by the marines and army.
Also the Italians where already making the change over to 762NATO and took advantage of the millions of M1s in inventory and the machines to make more for themselves.
The 308 M1 is a bit less picky for ammo also.
Right now you can buy 762 NATO ammo for .50 cents or less and can reload match grade ammo for about .40-60 cents depending on bullets choices. I'm sure there is more and I'm sure I only touched on a few correct points?

There are several old American rifleman articles on the subject .

Last edited:
Pitted receivers; sounds like the leftovers of their previous build.

T

Built from receivers and barreled actions with junk barrels. The CMP special Service Grade all have the "pitted" receiver note. The CMP special Field Grades have more pitting. Hard to beat a CMP special for $1030 for a shooter...completely refinished,New stock and new criterion barrel make for a pretty darn good M1 for shooting.
Now where are the CMP special Field Grades in 308 for $830. For a shooter I can live with some pitting.

I just checked my emails.....I have not had a email from the CMP im many months. Changed over to a gmail account and now I get nothing?
might have to send another email to CS

Junk mail folder?

no I check and sort spam every few days as I remember to change email contacts.... I have to remove emails as not spam and add to my contacts to get it in my "normal" email.... just noticed I missed some nice sales on some M48s[sad2]

Those old farts who have peddling "Genuine U.S. Navy .308 M-1 Garands, CMP certified!" fakes for 30 years must be thrilled.
The CMP navy garands are/where such. I don't think buy the end of the 308 navy program there where a lot of Navy barrels left?
Im just getting into looking up and learning about the 308 M1s
few google choices
Don "Mac" McCoy and Charles Frazier

What was the low-down on the Gibbs? Scamming to be a bona-fide Navy when not?

.308 seems easy enough in a Garand. Rebarrel and headspace the bolt, go shoot. On CMP forums I found a very nice WWII receiver w/ match .308 barrel and bolt, so build was easier than a lego gun (AR). No permanent damage done that would get the purists to grab their torches and pitchforks.

edit- If I have the info correct, apparently Gibbs / Navy Arms was doing a shoddy job of welding de-milled drill rifle receivers.

Last edited:
What was the low-down on the Gibbs? Scamming to be a bona-fide Navy when not?

.308 seems easy enough in a Garand. Rebarrel and headspace the bolt, go shoot. On CMP forums I found a very nice WWII receiver w/ match .308 barrel and bolt, so build was easier than a lego gun (AR). No permanent damage done that would get the purists to grab their torches and pitchforks.

edit- If I have the info correct, apparently Gibbs / Navy Arms was doing a shoddy job of welding de-milled drill rifle receivers.

Gibbs,navyarms,old western scrounger and a few other related companies have been piecing together arms for many decades now. Some good some F'n junk. I think it depends on who they sub contracted with.

So stupid question but I'm assuming you can load the 308s into enblocs and it works properly? I saw the CMP was selling a 308 sled for single shot use, but don't think people would by a single shot Garand.

So stupid question but I'm assuming you can load the 308s into enblocs and it works properly? I saw the CMP was selling a 308 sled for single shot use, but don't think people would by a single shot Garand.

Jury still out on that [smile]. I might have clip latch issue with mine- ejected an enbloc early. Feeds OK using the same .30-06 enblocs, I just had one eject before empty. Might be a funky narrow groove HXP enbloc and not the gun.

The .30-06 sled works just fine for me in the .308. Same sled I use for CMP matches.

Same clip for 308 as 30-06. Navy garand has filler piece that goes in the magazine that prevents loading 30-06. may help in feeding the shorter 308 round.

I don't see the SLED for 308 ? The spacer for 308 yes. I will be a single shot M1 for the right price[wink]

Jury still out on that [smile]. I might have clip latch issue with mine- ejected an enbloc early. Feeds OK using the same .30-06 enblocs, I just had one eject before empty. Might be a funky narrow groove HXP enbloc and not the gun.

The .30-06 sled works just fine for me in the .308. Same sled I use for CMP matches.

Worn bullet guide fixed my premature clip flip. the op rod catch can be worn also.
Nothing wrong with replacing the clip latch spring either. There is also a small cut out on the left side of the stock. Often the wood is not relieved enough and interferes with the clip latch. loose fitting stocks can cause problems also.

Worn bullet guide fixed my premature clip flip. the op rod catch can be worn also.
Nothing wrong with replacing the clip latch spring either. There is also a small cut out on the left side of the stock. Often the wood is not relieved enough and interferes with the clip latch. loose fitting stocks can cause problems also.

Thanks- stock is super tight, so might be lack of relief at that cut-out. I'll check it out tomorrow. Bullet guide and op rod catch look ok, maybe new looking even. Clip latch spring new but will check.

Thanks- stock is super tight, so might be lack of relief at that cut-out. I'll check it out tomorrow. Bullet guide and op rod catch look ok, maybe new looking even. Clip latch spring new but will check.
I had to measure my bullet guide to find that problem

Back
Top Bottom