• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP M1 garand grade vs grade accuracy test now with sniper test

mac1911

NES Member
Justvthough I would bump this up for you guys who just got axm1 or are planning to order one. If anyone has other links to this type of testing please post it. http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/garands-from-the-government-ii-the-guns-arrive/

I been searching for something like this since the first "special grades" surfaced. Take it for what its worth. I am a shooting type collector. Many more experienced garand collectors and shooters have told me to pass on the "specials" if you want a shooter. Most of the better shooters down my club say with a little work and a decent bore you can get a service grade rifle to shoot as well as the specials....if you look at the targets on the left side its a tough call for me if a 300$ difference is worth it for shooting.....I only wish they did a surplus ammo test also.

.....if anyone has other accuracy test between the grades give me some links.

Last edited:
The Krieiger barrels are good--and they'll shoot better than most Garand owners CAN shot.

That being said--there are a lot of things that you can do to work with what you've already got.

Take a post-war service grade. Discard the wood. Buy a fitted/unfinished stock from Dean's Guns. A properly-fitted stock alone will make a huge difference in accuracy with most rifles.

If the bolt in your postwar Garand is not a postwar '65 series bolt, get one, NOS. A lot of the Greek Garands have WWII bolts--which is giving up a LOT of headspace and a LOT of accuracy. The postwar bolt ought to close on a Go, but the lug ought to stand well proud of the receiver on a No-Go, the higher the better.

If your op rod is not pristine, send it off to get the lugs and piston rebuilt.

If it IS pristine, send it off to have the bends checked and/or reworked. It ought to track perfectly true.

If your gas cylinder is not pristine, replace it with a NOS.

Consistency/repeatability of the gas system/Op rod harmonics is a HUGE part of Garand accuracy.

If the Garand now shoots--you can think about glass bedding or National Match sights.

The picture is eight shots at 100 yards, $50 Ramline stock, scoped with a Burris pistol scope on an AmegaRanges scout-scope mount.

The rifle started out as a field grade that wouldn't hold the black.

Eight_Shots.jpg

Last edited:
How does deans stocks fit a a rifle he doesn't have on hand to fit to?
I know there's a lot of things you can do to improve the stock fit over say buying a boyds stock...or even a usgi stock. If time allows I will do a before and after test of my most recent HRA service grade...my 1 st plan is getting proper fit of the new stock wood. The op rod hits the wood in a few spots.
For the most part I'm comparing off the shelf cmp rifles grade for grade.
reading through cmp form you will find a lot of accuracy comes from a proper fitted and locking up stock. I did all the items from a article "accurizing the M1" the link I had is dead, so sorry no link. It took a shotgun patterning SG to at least holding inside the 8 ring.

Interesting in the article that the cmp special sends a flyer on the first shot with the new barrel. Interesting to see if the ever follow up on what may have been causing this.

I got a CMP special with the new Criterion barrel and new stock at the Creedmoor Cup matches this spring. I did a trigger job on it and finished the stock. I shot it with some 168s & 748 and it has to be the most inaccurate rifle I've ever fired.

B

this is what i was fearing when thinking of buying a cmp special. I dont expect much from a cmp service grade. Heck I dont think the military required much either. From memory I think the 30-06 M2 ball ammo was good to go if it was 4MOA ? So the Garands couldnt have been held to anything better.

My point is I dont see spending extra 350 just for a new barrel that may or may not increase your accuracy by large margin

My last trip to the range three weeks ago I used my CMP standard service grade (received 1/10/2012, $650, 12/55 SA barrel at 1+/2+) '42 SA with HRA USGI wood. Shot four clips at 100M standing, not spotted, with hasty sling. Didn't save the target, but the group spread diagonally from 10 to 4:00 through the center and were 8 ring and better (mostly 8/9 low right), using '70s HXP M2. Also popped 4 out to the 200M gong and hit all of them. I waited and specified for original wood; too bad it wasn't SA. Probable Greek return with dark finish. Don't know enough to tell you if anything rubs or not. Took a while to get used to it, but good enough for me.

MS

I got a CMP special with the new Criterion barrel and new stock at the Creedmoor Cup matches this spring. I did a trigger job on it and finished the stock. I shot it with some 168s & 748 and it has to be the most inaccurate rifle I've ever fired.

B

OK. I'll give you $400 for it.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/garands-from-the-government-ii-the-guns-arrive/

I been searching for something like this since the first "special grades" surfaced. Take it for what its worth. I am a shooting type collector. Many more experienced garand collectors and shooters have told me to pass on the "specials" if you want a shooter. Most of the better shooters down my club say with a little work and a decent bore you can get a service grade rifle to shoot as well as the specials....if you look at the targets on the left side its a tough call for me if a 300$ difference is worth it for shooting.....I only wish they did a surplus ammo test also.

.....if anyone has other accuracy test between the grades give me some links.

While I can't give you any comparisons between grades, IMO, the regular service grades at $625 are your best balance of price and accuracy, and unless you're looking to win a trophy at Camp Perry, I see no reason to drop another $300 when I've seen service grades do some amazing shooting. Not only that, but once you go past the service grade into special grade, you're now sacrificing the originality of the gun for marginal improvements in accuracy--not worth it in my view.

Remember that the CMP is absolutely notorious for tempering expectations, as most of the SG rifles I've seen a beautiful.

To give you an idea how the service grades shoot, here's a target I shot last month using my '55 HRA Service Grade with the original barrel with a muzzle measured at a little over one and a throat running about 2-ish when they were measured about 250 rounds ago. I was actually confirming my zero at 50 yards (one click under 200 on the sights), from the bench with sandbags. I shot a full 8 rounds of Greek HXP; the big hole is actually 3 rounds. [smile]

Safe to say that little guy at 5 o'clock was on me.

Seriously though, this gun makes me shoot better than I am. All for $595 (in 2010) plus shipping.

IMG_0711.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0711.jpg
    IMG_0711.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I wonder if they will try to get one of the national match models now offered by the cmp.

I wonder if they will try to get one of the national match models now offered by the cmp.

That would be nice. I've been curious as well if the CMP disclaimers on the NM guns "not in national match condition; only for collector value" was really the case, or if it was more CMP expectation tempering.

My only contact with someone local that knows about garands had this to say.
Its listed under service grade so it is...most likely will not have all the NM parts.
he feels if they where in nice shape with original matching glassbed stock they would go to cmp auction. Which he feels will be the direction cmp will take in near future.
Anything that is really nice or really collectable will go to auction. He expects once the service grades are deminished cmp will build out cmp specials with remaining parts for general sales. Everything else will be auctioneer off.

for those new garand guys

Thought I would bump this up. Its a good little test ofcthe cmp garands. Have fun. Link in post #1

While I can't give you any comparisons between grades, IMO, the regular service grades at $625 are your best balance of price and accuracy, and unless you're looking to win a trophy at Camp Perry, I see no reason to drop another $300 when I've seen service grades do some amazing shooting. Not only that, but once you go past the service grade into special grade, you're now sacrificing the originality of the gun for marginal improvements in accuracy--not worth it in my view.

Remember that the CMP is absolutely notorious for tempering expectations, as most of the SG rifles I've seen a beautiful.

To give you an idea how the service grades shoot, here's a target I shot last month using my '55 HRA Service Grade with the original barrel with a muzzle measured at a little over one and a throat running about 2-ish when they were measured about 250 rounds ago. I was actually confirming my zero at 50 yards (one click under 200 on the sights), from the bench with sandbags. I shot a full 8 rounds of Greek HXP; the big hole is actually 3 rounds. [smile]

Safe to say that little guy at 5 o'clock was on me.

Seriously though, this gun makes me shoot better than I am. All for $595 (in 2010) plus shipping.

View attachment 46555

THIS!!!! could not agree more.

The Flyer mentioned in the article could have been the guy behind the trigger and not the rifle.

Heck I have seen rifles measuring in the 3 range shoot well out to 200 yards.

If you can obtain groups like the ones in the above post that would convince most folks to go with the service grade. All of my CMP rifles except one are service grade and produce great results, the rifle is better than I am that's for sure.

garand accuracy revisited....for those with new or waiting on a m1

Bump this once again as there has been some questions regarding accuracy of cmp garands. This is still the only article I have come up with for grade vs grade testing.

There's been a lot of cmp garands ordered as of late and though this might be a good read for some.

Back
Top Bottom