Cleaning up Light Rust on a Blued gun

With this weather we've been having I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. I took out my model 36 S&W and found that the front and rear of the grip had started some slight surface rust through the bluing [crying]. I had cleaned it up good with CLP prior to putting it away too. Any suggestions on cleaning the rust up and preventing more? I don't have a safe so I can't go the safe/dehumidify route right now. I also don't want to scratch up the surface bluing.

With this weather we've been having I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. I took out my model 36 S&W and found that the front and rear of the grip had started some slight surface rust through the bluing [crying]. I had cleaned it up good with CLP prior to putting it away too. Any suggestions on cleaning the rust up and preventing more? I don't have a safe so I can't go the safe/dehumidify route right now. I also don't want to scratch up the surface bluing.

Though my Mosin is likely entirely different in the finishing process. I let it soak overnight with some BreakFree CLP, then hit it very, very lightly with some 0000 steel wool - worked like a charm. Also, if you keep your guns in a closet, coat them with BreakFree (can't think of the name but it's for long term storage and is a liquid - not a spray). You can also get a Damp-Rid to put in your closet for the time being....

I removed the padding from the inside of my safe because it seemed to be collecting moisture, even if miniscule amounts of it. I periodically remove everything from the safe and look for any signs of rust, then wipe down with Hoppes #9. Summer on Cape Cod is a killer as far as humidity is concerned.

Though my Mosin is likely entirely different in the finishing process. I let it soak overnight with some BreakFree CLP, then hit it very, very lightly with some 0000 steel wool - worked like a charm. Also, if you keep your guns in a closet, coat them with BreakFree (can't think of the name but it's for long term storage and is a liquid - not a spray). You can also get a Damp-Rid to put in your closet for the time being....

BreakFree Collector.

I use a CLP that has similar vapor-phase corrosion inhibitors (BullFrog RustHunter; protects about a year), but that BreakFree Collector sounds like it's awesome stuff for longer-term storage.

Agreed on prev. comments on soaking and then gently using 0000 steel wool to remove rust. Most rust converter/removers I have tried, even the very gentle, non-toxic ones, also de-blue the rust-touched area. Maybe others have some better recommendations? If you need to touch up the bluing, by the way, but don't want to send out for a hot bluing, you can use Oxpho-Blue cold blue.

For the closet, you can also put in a big (750g) metal container of silica desiccant that you can recharge in the oven. Also, consider adding a big goldenrod or other anti-mildew heater to the closet. Raising the closet and contents temperature above the dew point helps ensure that corrosion doesn't get a chance to start.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I've ordered one of those big silica cans for a closet, and a couple small ones so I can put on in my pelican AR case too. Also have some of the wool on the way. I'll try some of that collector stuff from breakfree next time I get a short list up for midway!

If the rust is light,you can lightly rub it with a copper penny without ruining the blue finish.Follow up with a good lubricant and anti rust solvent.

BreakFree Collector.

I use a CLP that has similar vapor-phase corrosion inhibitors (BullFrog RustHunter; protects about a year), but that BreakFree Collector sounds like it's awesome stuff for longer-term storage.

Bought some today, as I have some firearms stored in a small safe with no electric dehumidification rod. Break-Free states:

Protects up to five years. Lab test results show over 1,200 hours of rust and corrosion protection on mild steel panels when exposed to 100% humidity at 93 degrees with out developing even one micro of rust.

1,200hr turns out to be 50 days, so I wonder what it does for 5 years? Perhaps the active ingredients are not completely degraded or retain some anti-oxidant activity for 5 years, but 50 days is only 2.7% of 5 years. I guess mild steel at 100% humidity and 93F is accelerated exposure testing compared to a gun safe at ambient NH temp/humidity, but relative performance remain unquantified.

Years ago, there was some comparitive tesiting evaluating several treatments in a rust prevention test http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-results_schedules/documents/corrosion_tests.htm, but haven't seen any comparative data on Break-Free Collectors.

I was told don't use steel wool, use bronze wool available at marine repair yards, won't harm the bluing. A friend if mine buys it out aat one of the large places on RT 20 in Millbury/ Worc area.

If the rust is light,you can lightly rub it with a copper penny without ruining the blue finish.Follow up with a good lubricant and anti rust solvent.

Copper "Chore Boy" scrubbing pads, available at the supermarket, will do a great job of removing rust without removing blueing or scratching blued surfaces. Also great for taking lead deposits out of barrels.

Back
Top Bottom