Cleaning Rods

SKS Ray

NES Member
I need a good cleaning for .30 cal rifles (my majority of milsurps). You hear all kinds of reports of damaging the rifling, rods bending or breaking, coated rods peeling & chipping, etc.
I've got a few coated Dewey rods that I use for my .17hmr and one for my .204 Ruger but noticed they flex a lot plus one has chipped in a small area. I was looking at the Tipton ones on a few sites and of course theres Dewey rods, but don't know which one would be better for cleaning prized milsurps.
Keep in mind some of my battle worn and neglected rifles have minor frost to even some pitting in the rifling so I'll be using the rod for agressive cleaning and need it to last.
Coated, carbon fiber, stainless steel??? [thinking] Anyone have recomendations?

I bought a Tipton 40" rod from Midway. Product #: 228082. Plenty long for anything I might need to clean. Stainless, so it's durable.

Gary

I need a good cleaning for .30 cal rifles (my majority of milsurps). You hear all kinds of reports of damaging the rifling, rods bending or breaking, coated rods peeling & chipping, etc.
I've got a few coated Dewey rods that I use for my .17hmr and one for my .204 Ruger but noticed they flex a lot plus one has chipped in a small area.

M4M, buy one of the .30 cal Dewey Rods! They have them in all different sizes, and yes, the smaller ones tend to flex quite a bit, especially if they are used for a bigger caliber barrel. I upgraded to a .30 cal coated Dewey Rod from my .22 caliber one, and it made a world of difference.

To make it easier on you, call Dewey directly and speak to Brian Dewey. He'll help you with any questions, and will ship them directly to you...You'll have it in 2-3 days.

I use a Dewey rod and muzzle guides for all of my M-1's and M1A's. Same rod is used for my 700P with a chamber guide.

ok, now don't chastise me for what I'm about to say, but I was thinking about this the other day. I am an automobile tech and as you can imagine we need to come up with solutions to problems the engineers throw at us sometimes. Alot of aftermarket rims they have come out with over the years have very small chrome lug holes you need what's called a thin walled impact socket to take off the lug nuts. Now these sockets are still steel and if your not careful, you rip the chrome right off the rim! Not to pleasing to the customer who spent $5,000 for a set of rims. The solution, we wrap electrical tape around the socket and it protects the rim, but doesn not interfere with the operation of the socket. Why not do this to a metal cleaning rod? Just a suggestion, haven't tried it yet, has anyone else?[smile]

I would worry that the adhesive in the tape (and the tape itself) would be disolved by the cleaning solvents and gum up the barrel. I wouldn't try it.

Teflon shrink tube might work well though.

I would worry that the adhesive in the tape (and the tape itself) would be disolved by the cleaning solvents and gum up the barrel. I wouldn't try it.

Teflon shrink tube might work well though.

Must be why some are plastic (maybe teflon?) coated? [wink]

I have a Bore Snake for every type of round I shoot I shoot. If I only shoot around 40 or 50 non corrosive rounds out of a rifle, I'll just run a Bore Snake through with cleaner at the tip, and midway up the tail some oil, and thats it. I put a few Dewey cleaning rods on my list. I'll just have to wait and see if my wife got them for me or not.

Back
Top Bottom