Gun cleaning kit

je25ff

NES Member
I go through those cheap kits like toilet paper. The machining on the connecting rods is always piss poor and they just generally suck.

Does anyone have a durable, well made kit that they can recommend? Price range is $100 or so and if it's American made that would be preferable.

I would say get a Dewey cleaning rod long enough for the longest rifle you own and a pistol and perhaps chamber rod (doesn't rotate so you can spin the chamber brush and then use the jags and brushes you probably already have. If you do not have Jags, order one for each caliber you own. I use them mush more than bore brushes. Also get chamber brushes for what ever calibers you own.

I would say get a Dewey cleaning rod long enough for the longest rifle you own and a pistol and perhaps chamber rod (doesn't rotate so you can spin the chamber brush and then use the jags and brushes you probably already have. If you do not have Jags, order one for each caliber you own. I use them mush more than bore brushes. Also get chamber brushes for what ever calibers you own.

Just bought a bunch of Dewey rods and stuff myself this past week after deciding to upgrade my cleaning kit

Dewey has a 'complete' AR kit - which is one of the things I bought - about 100 IRC - maybe more items than I need perhaps

Overall really nice products and more enjoyable to use than what I had before

At least for cleaning rods for the various handguns we have, my wife and I have several sets of ProShot metal (stainless) cleaning rods. Best investments over plastic or cheaper metal "basic kit components" ever (my opinion). Bought a few brass jags and the like to supplement the rods. Patch and cleaner brand up to the user obviously although I'll going to mix up some Ed's Red and try that as a cleaner next.

I go through those cheap kits like toilet paper. The machining on the connecting rods is always piss poor and they just generally suck.

Does anyone have a durable, well made kit that they can recommend? Price range is $100 or so and if it's American made that would be preferable.

Pro shot hands down, there product is top quality lifetime guaranteed and made in America. I've been very happy with all my pro shot cleaning stuff.

I have a lots of stuff accumulated over the years. Don't cheap out on the cleaning rods,Dewey rods are good and get a good brass jag kit. Buy brushes in the calibers you need and that's a good start. Don't let your wife throw out the old toothbrushes!

Boresnakes, AR chamber brush, Garand chamber brush, surplus metal toothbrush

I second the dewey and i've been through some rods, spent some big dough on a couple too. Dewey isn't cheap, but it's the best. Then just buy whatever jags and brushes, mops etc. but you probably have most of that stuff already.

Forget the kits. All the rods in those cheapo kits are crap.
I agree with others that Dewey is a good quality rod, I own a couple of them, but the best ones come from Montana Extreme. They are the nicest I've ever used, bar none.

Invest in good rods and the rest is easy.

Forget the kits. All the rods in those cheapo kits are crap.
I agree with others that Dewey is a good quality rod, I own a couple of them, but the best ones come from Montana Extreme. They are the nicest I've ever used, bar none.

Invest in good rods and the rest is easy.

Good tips, all. Yeah, the rods that come with kits must be machined in Bangladesh by blind rice farmers.

Dewey.

I also have the Otis kit which works well for fixed bores and the shotgun. Sorry, I'm not putting a stainless rod down my barrel.

I use an Otis kit. No rods. You pull the stuff through. Easy as a boresnake. You can pretty much use any patch. But I have to admit that the Otis patches are really nice.

One thing I can say about the Otis stuff is that it's all still working. No busted rods. I started with the buttstock kit for the AR which I still use to clean the ARs. But after that experience, I swallowed hard and bought their "Big" kit and that now serves for everything else. The only other thing I use is old toothbrushes and boresnakes.

This Kit:

Amazon Link

71VrvazDkRL._SL1140_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom