Class B Handgun Confusion

I have a Class B. Last week I went to a shop in NH and paid for a Beretta 92fs, was told it would be in within 10 days. Last few days I have been looking into safes online, here included, and happened across a thread discussing Class B and the allowed handguns for such a license.... as many of you may guess this lead to my extreme dissapointment when discovering the 92 listed on the "large-capacity" roster, the logic that any gun that was at any point sold from the factory with +10rd mags was considered "large-capacity", and so on. I figured there must have been a mistake.... perhaps the shop owner didnt hear me state I was a classB holder, whatever. Much dissapointment.
So I figure out that my other gun of choice, a 1911, was allowed for class B. (go figure) So I cheer up again and figure I will have my payment put towards the 1911 instead, if its not a problem. Well I went today and was told that I most certainly CAN have the 92 with my class B..... "it ships from the factory and is supplied with 10rd mags" .... "the Large-cap weapons roster is out of date and doesnt matter" .... "I will not be checking off large-capacity on the FA-10" were what I was told by the shop owner as well as a MA LEO. So I left feeling somewhat assured, still unsure, but overall incredibly confused and frustrated. W in TF with this friggin state, my classB giving town.... ughhh.

Thoughts? Opinions on what to do? [frown]

Last edited:
Let's start with this. You bought a handgun from a dealer in NH, brought it to MA and will send in your own FA10? What's wrong with this picture?

Sure.
I havent done anything yet, other than pay for the gun.
The "I" was in quotes and was meant to represent what the dealer was saying to me - he will be filling out the FA10 and will not be checking off large-capacity.

Last edited:
Is nobody going to answer the actual question?

The short answer is that no matter what the store says, you can not possess a Beretta 92 with an LTC B in MA. It doesn't matter what magazines you have for it, if it's a handgun on the High Capacity Roster (even if it's out of date or whatever they want to call it), you need an LTC-A.

You would think a dealer, who is a MA resident, and operates a shop on the MA/NH state line, and a MA LEO would not steer me wrong. And it makes no difference that the dealer will be filling out the FA-10 as a NON large capacity? Thanks for actually answering my post, rather than being a clown BTW.

The shop that told you you can own a 92 in MA is FOS. That's an A gun, only, and it's explicitly listed on the roster, so there's no gray area whatsoever.

If you are a B holder buying handguns, you need to do research ahead of time to make sure that:

A- whatever it is you are buying you can legally own; and....

B- the shop in MA will transfer it to you.

Many FFLs will start inventing BS, etc, about what they can and can't transfer to a B. It's often wrong, in both directions. Don't trust anyone else's research, do your own. It's the only way you can be sure you're not screwing yourself legally or otherwise.

-Mike

Last edited:
1. You cannot own a 92Fs in MA. Large cap is defined as "capable of accepting (or readily modifiable to accept) any detachable large capacity feeding device that holds more than ten rounds". It doesn't matter if factory makes 10-rd mags.

2. 1911 is OK on the large cap topic. BUT you need to validate that a MA dealer will to do incoming transfer for the said model. Almost all shops (I say this with tongue firmly in cheek) will say NO unless the make/model is MA compliant (whole other topic all together).

3. MA dealer will charge you incoming transfer fee. But the savings of sales tax from NH purchase should cover that.

1911 normal capacity is 8 rounds. You can buy 10 round mags and you are fine. You can not but certain 1911's capable of more than 10 rounds (some Para models ex. P-14)

The shop that told you you can own a 92 in MA is FOS. That's an A gun, only, and it's explicitly listed on the roster, so there's no gray area whatsoever.

If you are a B holder buying handguns, you need to do research ahead of time to make sure that:

A- whatever it is you are buying you can legally own; and....

B- the shop in MA will transfer it to you.

Many MA FFLs will start inventing BS, etc, about what they can and can't transfer to a B.

-Mike

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Actually, I had to pay tax seeing as it had to be registered and transfered to MA. I negotiated to get the price to be tax included however. (700 out te door for stainless Italy) The transfer was not going to cost me anything, I was told they have "a place" right down the road that the gun would be transfered to. This is what confused me... the dealer was going to register and transfer the gun to MA, where it would be given to me. I would have thought that this process would have not been allowed to proceed given my classB and the 92's large cap status. The dealer convinced me that this would all happen no problem.

This really is beginning to sound like that other thread [thinking]

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ATTENTION-Dealers-and-those-who-buy-from-them

If it makes you feel any better, I learned the hard way too that some dealers will screw you if they get the chance. My mistake was even more expensive and earned me an official Scrivner beat down. I will tell you three words that will help you avoid all future Dealer headaches. FOUR - SEASONS -FIREARMS.

Their prices are as good as anybody's, they know their stuff and they won't steer you wrong. Great selection of new handguns.

Tell the guy you want your money back and make the trip to Woburn

Back
Top Bottom