%^#$^%#! Class A with restrictions!

So you got what you asked for? If your job is that your on-call for making computer repair house calls, than employment pretty much covers 24/7.

My Job is normally a 9-5 job. These are my "Business hours". Though I am on call 24/7 I can see me trying to explain this and falling flat on my face.

I'm sure it would go something like this:

If this is what the Chief intended why not give you a LTC Class A ALP ? It says restrictions If you are able to carry 24/7 then why did he put the restrictions on there ?

Or maybe I'm being paranoid?

Last edited:
My Job is normally a 9-5 job. These are my "Business hours". Though I am on call 24/7 I can see me trying to explain this and falling flat on my face.

I'm sure it would go something like this:

If this is what the Chief intended why not give you a LTC Class A ALP ? It says restrictions If you are able to carry 24/7 then why did he put the restrictions on there ?

Or maybe I'm being paranoid?

So that way the chief is covered. If it's unrestricted, it's unrestricted. But if you go and do something stupid, he can say that it was outside of your restrictions.

If you are legitimately on call for work, and you could legitimately be called at any time, that is employment.

Restrictions aren't set in stone. Each chief sets their own, and defines what that means.

Fight it if you can, don't violate the law or your restrictions. If I were you, make sure you keep work equipment in your vehicle along with your pager or whatever, and if anything happens, "Hey, I'm on call for work, see my stuff?" If at any point you stop being on call for work, stop carrying.

Random question, how often do you get calls outside of normal business hours? Once a week? Once a month? If it happens regularly enough, I don't see why you would be seen as not being at work when you're on call.

But I am no a lawyer, so...talk to one, or the chief.

Random question, how often do you get calls outside of normal business hours? Once a week? Once a month? If it happens regularly enough, I don't see why you would be seen as not being at work when you're on call.

It really depends .. Some months more than others.

The way I look at it, for me not to carry because it happened to be a slow month and then having to go home to get it cause I did get a call. Well, chances are I would skip going home unless it happened to be on the way and now my LTC did not serve its intended purpose and just became used space in my wallet.

It really depends .. Some months more than others.

The way I look at it, for me not to carry because it happened to be a slow month and then having to go home to get it cause I did get a call. Well, chances are I would skip going home unless it happened to be on the way and now my LTC did not serve its intended purpose and just became used space in my wallet.

So you can show that you get odd-hour work calls that you need to respond to irregularly (meaning it's not just when you're on the clock).

I'm no expert, but to me it sounds like you can justify that. You should find someone more knowledgable than me to help sort all this out for you.

The town is Brockton *RED* ..The thing that kills me is my business is in East Bridgewater which is Green. I could have easily got an unrestricted there!
I am going to write a letter to him asking for the "exception" .
It would be great if one of the knowledgeable lawyers on the form could give me some pointers.

You probably should have thought of that a little while ago. We are down a counselor. [wink]

I guess I could do this. Just doesn't seem right to have to pay for the license twice. Worst case I could try this route.

I think this might be your best bet. If I am not mistaken, one can receive a license in the city/town where one runs a business.

In your case, I would (reluctantly) pay another 100 bucks to be able to carry for 6 years.

fjjjldldl.png

I have to agree with many here that the thing to do is get the help of a lawyer. You can document everything you can possibly think of that will be on your side in getting a no restrictions license and then contact a lawyer to draft a letter to the chief with your info and his know-how.

The lawyer can word the request for the license much more effectively than the layman and the chief will know it will be on record that if something happens to you, that he was the one that refused your request for that N.R. license.

People often purchase $500 to $1000 firearms or safes to store their firearms but sometimes wont spend a few hundred dollars for a lawyer to draft a letter to the chief so they stand a much better chance of acquiring the license they should have. Contact a lawyer and many will give you a free estimate of just what is involved and what it may cost.

Just my thoughts on the matter, I wish you all the best with your dilemma, it must be truly maddening.

well, if you're on call all the time as your OP states, then you should be covered by 'employment' all the time

+1. Sounds unrestricted to me if you are on call all the time.

On the other hand, sounds like your life is pretty restricted if you are really on call all the time. [rofl]

I know someone who will remain nameless that also lives in Brockton and is an on call technician. He has an unrestricted license and obtained it by explaining he carries expensive test equipment everywhere and goes to remote locations at all hours. They asked if he wanted a work restriction and when he said ALP would be easier for them and him they agreed and gave him ALP. Odd town Brockton.

You work for yourself...Keep one of those memory sticks on your key chain. You are always working. Hold up your cell and say " I am working right now."

what about just refusing the LTC from brockton and go to bridgewater?

That's not very smart imho......something is better nothing....who is to say bridgewater will give him what he wants?

Take what you have and get a lawyer to send a letter. It shouldn't be a problem.

RUFUNKY,

Did you recently take the pistol course in EB with a couple of your coworkers? Your situation sounds familiar. If so, I'm Matt I was in the class with my friend Sam. Sorry to hear you're having trouble, I don't have much advice to give as I'm new to this myself. FWIW, if you decide to apply in EB and eat the $100, you shouldn't have any trouble. Sam and I both went already, were given Class A Unrestricted. The chiefs policy here is "if you can have the license, we'll issue it to you and if you screw up, we'll come take it away".

Also, Hi everybody, very informative sight here.
Matt

RUFUNKY,

Did you recently take the pistol course in EB with a couple of your coworkers? Your situation sounds familiar. If so, I'm Matt I was in the class with my friend Sam. Sorry to hear you're having trouble, I don't have much advice to give as I'm new to this myself. FWIW, if you decide to apply in EB and eat the $100, you shouldn't have any trouble. Sam and I both went already, were given Class A Unrestricted. The chiefs policy here is "if you can have the license, we'll issue it to you and if you screw up, we'll come take it away".

Also, Hi everybody, very informative sight here.
Matt

Hey Matt, nope that wasn't me. I took a course from a guy in Brockton.

I'm kinda kicking my self for not just going to the E.B PD first. I just figured if I ever moved my shop out of EB I would eventually end up having to renew somewhere else anyway. My buddy had no problem at all getting his in EB either..

Oh well, I am still going to write the chief and take it from there.

BTW ..welcome to the forum!

Hey Matt, nope that wasn't me. I took a course from a guy in Brockton.

I'm kinda kicking my self for not just going to the E.B PD first. I just figured if I ever moved my shop out of EB I would eventually end up having to renew somewhere else anyway. My buddy had no problem at all getting his in EB either..

Oh well, I am still going to write the chief and take it from there.

BTW ..welcome to the forum!

Huh, who knew there were so many armed computer repair guys running around Brockton. Well good luck getting it taken care of.

Happy Turkeyday all,
Matt

So that way the chief is covered. If it's unrestricted, it's unrestricted. But if you go and do something stupid, he can say that it was outside of your restrictions.

there is no liability on the chief at all. He can give you an ALP on your first lic. you can leave the police station, hit the gun shop and then use your new gun to shoot 40 people and there is not one thing that can come back to the chief.

he did it because he is an anti gun jackass.

Huh, who knew there were so many armed computer repair guys running around Brockton.

It's the ONLY way to go when you are in Brockton!!

I used to do computer work for a scumbag attorney in Brockton, all hours of the day/night in a most "interesting" area of the City, just a block away from Main St and the old courthouse.

It's the ONLY way to go when you are in Brockton!!

I used to do computer work for a scumbag attorney in Brockton, all hours of the day/night in a most "interesting" area of the City, just a block away from Main St and the old courthouse.

I'd have to say that Brockton is not as bad as it used to be. The crime rates have gone down significantly since the peak. I was going to post the graph of the rates but the link appears to be down.

Unfortunately I am also a victim of the chiefs discretion and have a neutered license. I'm just looking forward to either a. renewing and getting it unrestricted since I have heard the second time around they give it to you. or b. moving out of Brockton to a greener town at some point which may be next year depending on what happens.

I've tried not to butt nto this thread, but I can't hold off any longer.

The minute you said you were from Brockton, I, and many of us, knew you weren't going to get a ALP A license. We have enough members in Brockton to know how it goes there.

The fact that you got a license that includes Employment, and you are "self-employed" sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I'd be happy in your instance to have that.

If you can't justify "workiing" aas all the time, you aren't working hard enough.

I used to have a rule. Any time I had a tie on, I would force myself to make a sales call. When it was late at nite I was scouting locations, other times of the day I was looking for supplies and equipment or just checking out other businesses. All of this is defined as "work"

Send your letter if you feel you must, but I don't see what the problem is. I guess like many lazy Americans, you just don't "work" enough, and that's why you're worried. [rolleyes]

i think his real concern is... How does he prove he is "working" if he gets pulled over and will that jam him up if he can't prove that he is going to/coming from a job.

i think his real concern is... How does he prove he is "working" if he gets pulled over and will that jam him up if he can't prove that he is going to/coming from a job.

First off, he shouldn't get pulled over. Drive smart. Drive legal.

Secondly, even if he did get pulled over, why would/should the police ask him if he is carrying? I know newbies can't believe everyone doesn't know they are carrying, but they really don't.

You'd have to do something wrong to get pulled over, and then do more wrong to get taken out of the car and searched. If you're likely to do those things, you shouldn't be carrying anyway.

Yah, I'm pretty disappointed. Just received my RESTRICTED class A RESTRICTIONS: Employment and Target and Hunting.

I had explained in the letter to the chief of PD that I would like the license because of work. I work in computer repair and have to make house calls allot of which take place late at night. I also explained about having to make weekly deposits carry larger than normal amounts of cash.

A couple reasons why this concerns me is because most of the time I am off work when I receive a call out for a house call. This would mean I would have to go home to get my firearm. Also, I do all my deposits whenever I can fit them in ..not on work hours.

I just emailed the Officer in charge.. Any suggestion on getting the restrictions lifted are greatly appreciated. [frown]

Here is the reply:

The policy of our Chief is that all 1st time licensees of a Class-A LTC are restricted (usually for only target & hunting at that) but when an applicant also wishes to be covered for employment he'll accept adding to the restriction for that purpose. What I can suggest is drawing up a letter of request to be considered an "exception" and explain in detail why and see if he will grant the change. If he did, there would be no fee.

If you are a supervisor or otherwise in management, you could be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, couldn't you? [smile]

Secondly, even if he did get pulled over, why would/should the police ask him if he is carrying? I know newbies can't believe everyone doesn't know they are carrying, but they really don't.

You'd have to do something wrong to get pulled over, and then do more wrong to get taken out of the car and searched. If you're likely to do those things, you shouldn't be carrying anyway.

+1

Can we hear an "AMEN!"

I wish that were the case. Too many cops on power trips out there to make that statement to be 100% true. I have been a victim of a bored police officer. I was pulled over for having my fog lights on (it was fgoggy!). The end result was I pulled out of the car, igven a field sobriety test and then issued a ticket for illegal equipment (he said my stock HIDs were too bright).

While it was an easy win in court and i wish that cop would rot in the deepest pit of hell, I can't say he is the only cop out there that gets "bored" and "tries" to do there job. We arent for practicing on. Too bad many cops dont get that.

Oh yeah, i have little trust of police officers as a result.

So, one bad experience has left you with no trust of law enforcement in general. Get off the bandwagon.

no, Ive had pleasant experiences with police officers for sure, but I still dont trust them all too much when it comes to "their duties."

I have been a victim of a bored police officer. I was pulled over for having my fog lights on (it was fgoggy!). The end result was I pulled out of the car, igven a field sobriety test and then issued a ticket for illegal equipment

no, Ive had pleasant experiences with police officers for sure, but I still dont trust them all too much when it comes to "their duties."

BA, your whole life seems filled with Drama. In 45 years of driving, I was only asked to get out of my car once, and that was when I was driving a borrowed car, didn't have the registration with me, didn't know my roommate's last name, and was so young and little that I didn't look like I should be driving after 1AM.

You seem to have one major malf***tion every time you post. Maybe the way you talked to the Police is what got you pulled over for the field sobriety test.

Me, I wouldn't worry about any of the stuff you seem to worry about, and get caught up in. You seem like a walking bust just waiting to happen[wink]

I've been told more time to "Stay in the car", than I have ever been asked to step out. Maybe it's because I'm sober, call Troopers "Trooper", and Police Officers "Officer", I don't mumble my words. Don't get nervous because I'm not doing anything wrong, and don't think every cop is the same mentality as the students you teach.

I say again, only once in 45 years of driving have I ever been asked to get out of my car.

Are you paranoid or just running on the edge all the time???

BA, your whole life seems filled with Drama. In 45 years of driving, I was only asked to get out of my car once, and that was when I was driving a borrowed car, didn't have the registration with me, didn't know my roommate's last name, and was so young and little that I didn't look like I should be driving after 1AM.

You seem to have one major malf***tion every time you post. Maybe the way you talked to the Police is what got you pulled over for the field sobriety test.

Me, I wouldn't worry about any of the stuff you seem to worry about, and get caught up in. You seem like a walking bust just waiting to happen[wink]

I've been told more time to "Stay in the car", than I have ever been asked to step out. Maybe it's because I'm sober, call Troopers "Trooper", and Police Officers "Officer", I don't mumble my words. Don't get nervous because I'm not doing anything wrong, and don't think every cop is the same mentality as the students you teach.

I say again, only once in 45 years of driving have I ever been asked to get out of my car.

Are you paranoid or just running on the edge all the time???

naww, no paranoia. my life is pretty stress and drama free overall. I can see where you would say that, but in reality, it is the same handful of experiences re-shared where they applied (if that makes sense).

I also hear my friends bf (who is a cop) tell stories of things they do, and it is just amazing that they take such a power trip. So, despite the limited scope, yes, I do have enough reason to look over my law abiding shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom