Class A Unrestricted and Large Capacity

It was a simple question, and I didn't 'accuse' anyone of anything, I merely asked if there was a conflict of interest, and if getting rid the training requirement was on the agenda.

There are bigger problems in MA gun laws than killing off the training requirement. It sucks that it exists, but compared to the other issues we face, its near the bottom of the list. Compared to the other hurdles people have to jump over to get a gun license in MA, the training component is not a big deal.

After my experiences with the NRA, you'll have to forgive me if I don't place much stock in gun rights organizations that also offer mandatory training.

I'm not a huge fan of the NRA either. That said, I don't think the NRA offering training courses is really a key to its faults, either.

On the other hand if you look at GOAL, there aren't a bunch of people rolling around in cash because of GOAL. They don't have millions of members like the NRA does. IIRC the GOAL member base is a TINY fraction of MA gun owners, which is a small number by itself.

If you take the time to look at this from my point of view, you will see that (as an outsider) this is not an unreasonable line of thought. Unbunch your panties ladies.

No, it's not, but your views are unrealistic in the context of MA's communist environment.

Actually I do have a pretty good handle on that,

Based on what you posted, you obviously don't. You're coming from a state where every other, or at least every third house has at least one gun in it, to one where (maybe) one in every 25-50 houses has a gun in it. There is a big difference in the political realities of the two locations with regards to gun rights. The main difference is that in a place like GA gun owners can wield enough political power to exert visible force on the system. In MA the only way GOAL gets anywhere is by seeking out the pols that are coincidentally sympathetic to our cause, more or less, and try to get them to introduce legislation on our behalf in a creative way that it has a chance of actually passing. "Guerilla Warfare" is pretty much the only viable "firing solution" in MA gun politics.

There's also the problem of corruption. MA's government is larded up with soft corruption. The whole state runs off of it at some point or another. Unless your agenda fits in with that sort of almost criminal behavior, it ends up being on the periphery of interest for MA legislature. They don't care unless it's going to make them money somehow or it involves hacks getting jobs or payoffs, etc. There are some pols in MA that aren't tainted by this, but most of them are all outside of the 495 loop and they don't wield prominent political positions.

Reality Check- MA is easily in the top 10 most corrupt state governments in the US. It's also one of the bottom ten in the US for gun ownership rates on a per capita basis.

Until you've lived here for a decade or so, you don't really know how bad it is.

You're not the only one that has reacted this way, either. When I tell people from other states about how MA works, they are literally dumbfounded and they have to pick up their jaw off the floor, that's how mind numbing things are in MA.

i just don't have much patience with it. I've been active in various political movements for the past 20 years, I know how the system works. However, the older I get, the more impatient I get and the less respect I have for the system, politicians and the Law enforcement agencies that act for them.

I understand your frustrations, but whining about whatever GOAL is doing doesn't really accomplish much.

You will have to forgive me if I find the prospect of having to beg for the ability to legally exercise my rights extremely distasteful. As for the prospect of choosing between my business and becoming a criminal, I have to really hold my nose on that one.

Then why the hell do you want to move to MA? Sane gun owners don't move into this state if they know what's good for them. If you're not chasing tail or moving here because of a family commitment (eg, like taking care of someone in your family) I would do everything in my power to not move here.

I talk to people all the time that talk about moving back here, etc, and my advice is always the same... stay the hell away from MA unless you want your rights stomped on. Not moving here will be the best thing you've ever done, and I'm not kidding. [laugh]

-Mike

or moving here because of a family commitment (eg, like taking care of someone in your family)

Not moving here will be the best thing you've ever done, and I'm not kidding. [laugh]

-Mike

Mike - thats exactly why we are moving to Boston, and why it has to be Boston as opposed to places outside of Boston.
As a gun owner, yes I am horrified at the prospect of moving there, but obviously I am more than just a gun owner - I'm a husband, bread winner, business owner, etc. In terms of family, Boston is the best place for us to be, as a gun owner it is the worse, but family takes priority.

Mike - thats exactly why we are moving to Boston, and why it has to be Boston as opposed to places outside of Boston.
As a gun owner, yes I am horrified at the prospect of moving there, but obviously I am more than just a gun owner - I'm a husband, bread winner, business owner, etc. In terms of family, Boston is the best place for us to be, as a gun owner it is the worse, but family takes priority.

I hear that getting a passport and visa to visit Boston from Arlington (more gun friendly, by MA standards) isn't that difficult.

Unless you MUST live in the family household located inside Boston's clutches, there is no reason to live in the city and thousands of reasons NOT to locate there.

In Boston, you will face a real AWB . . . no ARs and other evil rifles at all allowed, same wrt hi-cap rifle mags, no "carry permit" (you will almost certainly be restricted to possession/target/hunting only), knife length restrictions, etc.

There is a thread here on Boston's anti-gun/knife laws that you should read.

Yes, you're probably right. When you think about it, is there much of a difference between an A and a B in this case?

Yes.

Some FFL's won't sell guns to people with a Class B even when it's legal because they're confused on the law.

Pre-ban high caps are plentiful for many handguns, but are out of the question if you're stuck with a B.

A Class B bars concealed carry by statute, while restrictions can be lifted on a Class A.

Many municipal restriction policies allow a person with a restricted A to carry to and from their activity. That's not possible with a B.

A Class A removes any gray area; aside from a machine gun, it allows you to possess any gun or magazine that can legally be possessed in Mass.

IMO many restricted A's are issued simply because of a fear based policy, while Class B's generally only get issued by the most anti-gun towns. The corrollary is that those towns are much more likely to randomly revoke an LTC for "suitability," turn down Class 3 signature requests, or bring you other gun-related headaches.

Restricted A's suck, but for most people a Class B is still worse.

I also think it is hard for someone to believe how bad the State of Ma interferes with our SA rights.

You're not kidding. Reading the gun laws section of the NRA-ILA website makes an outsider think that Mass. isn't really that bad.

I've been thinking of a rally on the Commons, or who knows, maybe the Old North Bridge! Is H2259 bound to be reintroduced? A 2-A motorcycle ride in the spring?

No offense, but I think those are a total waste of time. CHSB, EOPS, MCOPA, and countless others have shown that they do not care about anyone's feelings on gun rights. They have the legal authority to interfere with people, and they do it whenever they please. The laws need to be fixed (and I don't just mean to be more 2A friendly, I mean to be fixed to the point where the state supreme court can actually make sense out of them), and until they are, nothing will change. The good news is what people have been saying in this thread, GOAL is fighting the good fight to help gun owners in Mass.

FOAD. Trolls and AG plants are not tolerated here.

You've gone too far here compadre.

In terms of family, Boston is the best place for us to be, as a gun owner it is the worse, but family takes priority.

I know a gun forum is the wrong place to say it, but sometimes guns have to take a backseat. There's no shame in putting your family first. Keep in mind though, in addition to the legal education you need to survive the state gun laws, you'll also need to learn a lot about the laws specific to Boston.

FOAD. Trolls and AG plants are not tolerated here.

Politenessman is way off base on GOAL - all he needs to do is see the lobbying they did against the OGAM bill to realize that.

That said, he's coming from a place where gun rights are default free to a place where they are discretionary and is experiencing serious culture shock, not realizing just how tipped the scales are politically here.

Your comment is just as off base as his.

To the OP, I suggest moving to Arlington if possible. If you do have to go to Boston, you can get a license, it just requires some paperwork and you won't be able to carry.

To the OP, I suggest moving to Arlington if possible. If you do have to go to Boston, you can get a license, it just requires some paperwork and you won't be able to carry.

Unfortunately for politenessman, the Boston AWB won't allow him to possess large cap rifle mags, even if they're pre-ban, and he needs them for business.

Maybe that was a tad harsh, so I'll revise my comment. Instead of FOAD, just FO. This guy is clearly a troll. He got answers to the questions that he asked and replied back with insinuations and flip remarks, and then posted the same "question" in another thread. In yet another thread he's asking people if they actually obey the MA gun laws. [thinking]

Yeah, thanks for that. As a newbie here seeking info, I like the way you guys are 'helping' me.
Seriously, thats your answer?
Unbunch your panties ladies.

In another thread:
I've been doing some reading (can't seem to sleep tonight) and one thing is raising a huge red flag with me.
GOAL seems to be very active in offering training courses, and training is a part of the requirements for getting a license issued. Where do you guys stand on eliminating the training requirement as a path to eliminating the license or permit?

It seems like you have a vested interest in keeping the training requirement (as you offer the training). I consider training nothing more than a tax or barrier to exercising my right. Don't get me wrong here - I am in favor of training and I train myself when I can, I'm just not a fan of mandatory training in order to exercise a right.

And another:
Does anyone actually abide by these laws? And yes, this is a serious question - for instace, right now I can shoot on my own property, but state law says I must be 50 yards from any public roads, however, as most people here don't own vast tracts of land, the local police don't enforce this as long as everyone is playing safe.

Is this the same type of situation?

Is he even posting from a GA IP address? "Politeness"man my a$$.

Last edited:
In yet another thread he's asking people if they actually obey the MA gun laws. [thinking]

Most people in the US could never imagine gun laws as bad as the ones in Mass. It seems like he's making an honest attempt to sort out what the heck is going on. Go to an FFL in a free state and talk about someone being charged with improper storage of a firearm, see how hard everyone laughs.

Most people in the US could never imagine gun laws as bad as the ones in Mass. It seems like he's making an honest attempt to sort out what the heck is going on. Go to an FFL in a free state and talk about someone being charged with improper storage of a firearm, see how hard everyone laughs.

+1.... it just reads to me like it's culture shock, more than anything else. The laws in MA are so mind numbing that a gun owner from the 40 or so states that don't have gun laws that are as bad as MA's hears someone talking about them, it's hard for them to believe that it's real.

Now, someone will say, "Well, the federal laws are absurd too, and everyone has to deal with them". While that is true on its face, the reality is that the most exposure any free-stater gets to federal gun law begins and ends at filling out a 4473 form when they buy a gun at a dealer. They don't ever get to see the uglier side of the law.
(For those reading, no, I don't support mandatory background checks, but compared to the rest of the evils in federal law, NICS checks are mickey mouse grade stuff... )

-Mike

ETA: To clarify, it's the type of license that determines the legality of possessing "large capacity" firearms and magazines...

LTC-A allows possession of large capacity handguns, rifles, shotguns and large capacity magazines.

OK to muddy the waters some more I was in a discussion with a member of the Boston police and his attitude and interpretation of the law was that as a Non Resident with a unrestricted "A" license I can carry any thing I want as long as I am legal in my home state. If I was a Mass resident I could only carry preban mags but as a Non Resident I can carry anything. I wish somebody with common sense would rewrite the Mass law in ENGLISH to make sense to everybody.

OK to muddy the waters some more I was in a discussion with a member of the Boston police and his attitude and interpretation of the law was that as a Non Resident with a unrestricted "A" license I can carry any thing I want as long as I am legal in my home state. If I was a Mass resident I could only carry preban mags but as a Non Resident I can carry anything. I wish somebody with common sense would rewrite the Mass law in ENGLISH to make sense to everybody.

He's wrong.

Negative. He should re-read M.G.L. c.140 s.131M.

I think that the term carry may be adding a level of confusion. If you live in another state and are driving through Mass, under federal law, you could be legally in possession and transporting an otherwise Mass illegal post ban hi cap mag. But this has nothing to do with a non-resident LTC.

If that were the interpretation, he still would have been wrong. Anyone, regardless of residence, could transport a new large capacity gun through Massachusetts, as long as it were legal in both the starting point and destination. Residency doesn't enter into FOPA in any way.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom