Choosing an upper for an AR10

So I recently won a karma for a 308 lower receiver which I am eternally grateful for.

I'm trying to decide what type of upper I want to throw on this thing. I'm not too versed in these things so I'm looking for some advice.

I'm looking to throw a pretty high powered optic on this and shoot at very long distances. I'd like to shoot past 600+ yards

My choices in DPMS are:
16" with flash hider. Chrome Moly barrel

18" bull barrel chrome moly

24" bull stainless barrel

What I've read is that shorter barrels may actually be more accurate because they are stiffer...that chrome moly barrels are harder than stainless so they may also be more accurate. I also read that longer barrels are used for longer iron sight radius (if the front sight is placed further away from the rear)

Any opinions?

If long range is really what you want to shoot, get the 24".
Longer sight radius, higher velocity.

If long range is really what you want to shoot, get the 24".
Longer sight radius, higher velocity.

I forgot to mention I won't be putting irons on it. I'll be using an optic.

So the higher velocity will really help?
All of the barrels are a 1 in 10 twist.

Long range shooting has a lot to do with managing the wind. Your friends in the wind are Bullet BC and velocity.
A longer barrel allows the cartridge to burn more of it's powder where it will do the most good: in the barrel.

The DPMS .308 barrels are very accurate. I had one, and like an idiot, I sold it.

I'm not sure that you can even stay supersonic with a .308 in a 16 or 18 inch barrel much beyond 600 yards. M-14s have 22 inch barrels and they are marginal with the wrong ammo much beyond 800.

B

Back
Top Bottom