Chicopee shooting victim was a 15-year-old, alleged 'intruder'; homeowner arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole thing looks like the case where Theodore Paul Wafer shot Renisha McBride through the door. McBride was drunk and pounding on Wafer's door in the early hours of the morning saying her car had broken down (she had crashed it) and looking for assistance. Wafer got 15-30 for second degree murder, plus an additional 2 years for possessing a firearm during a felony.

As someone said earlier, sucks all around.

Reading about it after the fact takes the emotion out. No matter how amped up the situation was, and no matter how much fear he was in, anyone that's taken the MA LTC course should know he had a duty to retreat.

I don't think Murder is the right charge though, seems like manslaughter to me, but then again I'm not a lawyer.

A lot of folks may have been taught in the past that they have a duty to retreat when they are confronted in their home. That is not the law in MA today!

As has been pointed out earlier here MA General Laws Chapter 278 Section 8a changed the duty to retreat. But we need to understand it's provisions : "In the prosecution of a person who is an occupant of a dwelling charged with killing or injuring one who was unlawfully in said dwelling, it shall be a defense that the occupant was in his dwelling at the time of the offense and that he acted in the reasonable belief that the person unlawfully in said dwelling was about to inflict great bodily injury or death upon said occupant or upon another person lawfully in said dwelling, and that said occupant used reasonable means to defend himself or such other person lawfully in said dwelling. There shall be no duty on said occupant to retreat from such person unlawfully in said dwelling."

Suggested jury instructions for these type cases can be found here: http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/cou...inal/6000-9999/9260-defenses-self-defense.pdf

A lot of folks may have been taught in the past that they have a duty to retreat when they are confronted in their home. That is not the law in MA today!

As has been pointed out earlier here MA General Laws Chapter 278 Section 8a changed the duty to retreat. But we need to understand it's provisions : "In the prosecution of a person who is an occupant of a dwelling charged with killing or injuring one who was unlawfully in said dwelling, it shall be a defense that the occupant was in his dwelling at the time of the offense and that he acted in the reasonable belief that the person unlawfully in said dwelling was about to inflict great bodily injury or death upon said occupant or upon another person lawfully in said dwelling, and that said occupant used reasonable means to defend himself or such other person lawfully in said dwelling. There shall be no duty on said occupant to retreat from such person unlawfully in said dwelling."

Suggested jury instructions for these type cases can be found here: http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/cou...inal/6000-9999/9260-defenses-self-defense.pdf

And note in the quote above it says IN SAID DWELLING, not "breaking into said dwelling", so they have to be inside before this law applies in MA. I teach the genesis of this law since the arresting officer in the underlying case that resulted in this law was good enough to share that info with me very many years ago.

And note in the quote above it says IN SAID DWELLING, not "breaking into said dwelling", so they have to be inside before this law applies in MA. I teach the genesis of this law since the arresting officer in the underlying case that resulted in this law was good enough to share that info with me very many years ago.

You mentioned similar legal situations in all the other states, exempting TX. What about what Finalygotabeltfed posted regarding Kentucky law?

"(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering or had unlawfully and forcibly entered a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle,"

Wouldn't "in the process" imply they had not entered yet?

Thanks.

This person banging on the door and breaking the glass: What tipped you off that he was 15 and unarmed?

You can't use deadly force unless you, or another innocent, are in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury.

Someone on the other side of a locked door, even if they are breaking the glass, is unlikely to rise to that level of danger.

You can't shoot because the might be armed. You can't shoot because they might enter and become a deadly threat. You can only shoot if they are a deadly threat RIGHT NOW.

That is the basic legal framework in most states.

I didnt say it was right. The owner felt threatened enough to make that decision...... What he felt and thought are what brought him to make that decision.... He doesnt know if they are armed or what age they are.... if thats the agument then the police have a lot of explaining to do for killing 15 year olds.,,,no. Its hard to make the "right" decision under fear, this is life. Its when these things happen under Anger and hate its a real problem. if its found the home owner shot the 15 year old knowing who he was and was just pissed the kid was pounding on his door I say tosss the book at him. If he truly felt and thought his only option to protect himself and the who ever else was in the house it needs different treatment. Im just tired of a double standard if we use this "wait to see what the real threat is for civilians it should be applied to the police also. If we use some examples The off duty police office in NY who shot the man for getting punched in the face at the traffic light....was shooting the man who punched him the right thing to do? Why not just exit the vehicle and run? Or is it wrong to say a tough NY cop cant handle a few punches? See its a cluster ****.... I know you can easily be kill by a few blows to the head and you really dont kniow how far an attack on is going to go....who know after a few good punches to the head maybe that guy would have stopped and walked away? It all comes down to what you need to do in that split secound that you feel or think is right. Im sure both parties would love to go back and change their decisions for that day.

The fact that someone might be armed does not rise to the level of legal justification for the use of deadly force. The fact that someone is breaking into your house in most states does not allow you to assume they are a deadly threat (a minority of states have so-called Make My Day laws).

Need to pass a law! All home invaders must show ID to prove they're older than 15 yrs old.

The fact that someone might be armed does not rise to the level of legal justification for the use of deadly force. The fact that someone is breaking into your house in most states does not allow you to assume they are a deadly threat (a minority of states have so-called Make My Day laws).

does this apply to all or just citizens..... so the cop in NY should be charged with murder then? After all he was only getting punched?
Its a mess for sure and i would be more inclined to do as my dad taught me.....get away from danger as best as possible.
god bless

One legal framework for analyzing the use of deadly force is termed Ability Opportunity Jeopardy.

Did the perp have the Ability to cause death or grave bodily injury? In a one-on-one fight between unarmed male adults, it is typically hard to convince a court of this, though it does happen (Trayvon Martin mounted Zimmerman and started bashing his head against concrete).

Does the perp have the opportunity to cause death or grave bodily injury? In this case, no, he didn't. He was on the opposite side of a locked door.

Was the perps behavior placing the victim in jeopardy? In this case, you might be able to make that argument.

With what little we know now, I think at best you can argue that one of the AOJ criteria was satisfied. You need all three to be satisfied to be legally justified.

Yes, the defendant deserves his day in court. Based on what we know now, I think he is going to have a very hard time succeeding with his defense.

does this apply to all or just citizens..... so the cop in NY should be charged with murder then? After all he was only getting punched? Its a mess for sure and i would be more inclined to do as my dad taught me.....get away from danger as best as possible. god bless

Police have more leeway than private citizens. Depending on the circumstances, being punched can rise to that level. For example, Trayvon Martin mounted ZImmerman and was punching him while his head was against concrete. That is a threat of death or grave bodily injury.

I didn't even get through page 2 in order to determine the guy is fried. I' guess I will stop posting in this thread, lest I out myself.

You mentioned similar legal situations in all the other states, exempting TX. What about what Finalygotabeltfed posted regarding Kentucky law?

"(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering or had unlawfully and forcibly entered a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle,"

Wouldn't "in the process" imply they had not entered yet?

Thanks.

Reviewing Branca's book specifically for Kentucky, the cite above is noted in his book and IF the 15yo indeed broke the window or it can be proved that he was in the process of breaking into the house, you would be correct that the homeowner should not be prosecuted for murder/attempted murder.

Good luck to you.

The one most important point that Atty. Andy Branca makes in his book and seminars is that "it isn't just MA"! He points out that doing what you advocate will get you into a courtroom on serious criminal charges in 49 states (TX being the exception).

It may sound and feel good but the American legal system takes a very dim view of that sort of action.

I'm neither defending or condemning what you say . . . I focus on what the laws allow and let the reader (or my students) decide what to do or not on their own.

Not claiming to know the specifics of the laws in all the states you are referring to, but to your point, I remember a few years back in Michigan a young woman was drunk and her car broke down or something. it was winter. She banged on someones door and I believe the homeowner shot through the storm door at her to where she was on his porch. I don't recall that working out too well for the home owner either.

You? Hope to be called for jury duty? In Massachusetts?

"Juror candidate number seven: Do you belong to and social media groups or internet chat forums?"

"Just Twitter, sir.....Oh, and NortheastShooters also".

"Your Honor, the Commonwealth moves to dismiss this juror candidate".

"Motion allowed. Candidate, please leave the courtroom immediately... And thank you for your service... Next candidate, please step forward".

(Just sayin')

+1

I get it. You're shilling for more green memberships! If word got out that being a member at NES got you out of jury duty every time, Derek would be competing with Jeff Bezos for most net worth.

Reactions: AHM
Reviewing Branca's book specifically for Kentucky, the cite above is noted in his book and IF the 15yo indeed broke the window or it can be proved that he was in the process of breaking into the house, you would be correct that the homeowner should not be prosecuted for murder/attempted murder.

I'll go get Branca's book tonight and update this. But I am fairly certain that North Carolina allows you to shoot someone on your property of you think they're a threat.

i might be wrong or Mis remembering. Anyway, I too would dispute that only Texas allows you to shoot through a door.

I do understand that after reading Branca's book, you damn well better not do that or you'll be up for attempted murder or murder. Even if the guy on your porch is loaded with weapons like the terminator.

This thread would be way different if he'd waited 15 more seconds to shoot...

In MA, even if he is inside your home, you still can't shoot unless you are in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury. There are a few states with so-called Make My Day laws that allow you to assume that anyone illegally in your home is a grave threat. But most states are like MA in that even inside your home you can only use deadly force if they are a deadly threat -- see my discussion of Ability, Opportunity, and Jeopardy above.

I do understand that after reading Branca's book, you damn well better not do that or you'll be up for attempted murder or murder. Even if the guy on your porch is loaded with weapons like the terminator.

I'm not so sure about that. If they have a gun and are threatening to shoot you through the door, then you might be able to argue that you were, in fact, in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury. If they just had a contact weapon (knife, club, etc.) then that would be a different story.

In the final analysis, this will be a true "Better to be judged by 12" case. Assuming that it goes to trial, and is not plead down.

None of us were there (in the house, or the guy's head). We don't know if it was an intentional shot, or an "oopsie".

Lawyers will get involved, and the Truth (if there is any) will be obscured.

None of us were there (in the house, or the guy's head). We don't know if it was an intentional shot, or an "oopsie".

This is why all of my firearms are stored unloaded and I never carry with one in the chamber: it's just too dangerous because you never know when one of them will go off on their own. Better safe than sorry I say!

I don't believe most anywhere, not just the Peoples Republic of Ma. things will go smoothly shooting blind through a door.
The little peckers probably were the ones doing the break in's.
The "We were drunk and thought it was a friends house" most likely is bullshit.
Still though, it's not going to fly.
If the cops had showed up, the door is smashed in and numbnuts is taking a nap on the kitchen floor , it's a whole different story.
I also love how 15 is somehow two days out of diapers.
There's ten and eleven year olds in street gangs that would kill your ass in the blink of an eye, then go out for McDonalds.

If the cops had showed up, the door is smashed in and numbnuts is taking a nap on the kitchen floor , it's a whole different story.

Again, in MA (and most states), just because he broke into your house doesn't necessarily mean you are justified in shooting him. It just means that you don't have to retreat.

In MA, even if he is inside your home, you still can't shoot unless you are in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury. There are a few states with so-called Make My Day laws that allow you to assume that anyone illegally in your home is a grave threat. But most states are like MA in that even inside your home you can only use deadly force if they are a deadly threat -- see my discussion of Ability, Opportunity, and Jeopardy above.

I'm not so sure about that. If they have a gun and are threatening to shoot you through the door, then you might be able to argue that you were, in fact, in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury. If they just had a contact weapon (knife, club, etc.) then that would be a different story.

Imagine this scenario...

Drunk 15 year old breaks the glass and opens the door.

He is obviously drunk, slurring speech, stumbling, no weapons in his hands.

You have a drunk idiot in your house.

If that was the extent of the situation - would you feel that you are in imminent and unavoidable threat of grievous bodily injury or death?

In MA, even in that situation you must prove you were in Jeopardy.

Also consider escalation of force. Is it appropriate to shoot an unarmed intruder?

You yell at the guy and he still won't leave?

Is it really necessary to shoot at that point?

Even if "you get away with it" - is it really worth it?

Your name will be all over the internet and you and your family will go through hell even if you are not charged.

In college towns in MA, there have been about 3 police calls for drunks entering homes in the past 12 months.

None of those ended in death or injury.

If the drunk guy became violent and I was in fear for my life I would have to escalate my response.

It may take a while but this Chicopee guy will really feel sorry for killing this kid and it could take years off his life even if he is found not guilty.

I don't think he will be convicted of murder if he goes to trial.

He would more likely get convicted of manslaughter and get 10 years - out in 5.

He should plead this out and accept a 5 year prison sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom