• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chicopee shooting victim was a 15-year-old, alleged 'intruder'; homeowner arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'all love putting words in my mouth. I don't think the perp deserves a free pass for any of this, nor have I ever said so. Discussion? Grazing shot? All that comes from you, not from me. The difference between you and I is that I don't think he deserved death; you appear to, and allegedly so did the homeowner. And he should most definitely answer for that decision in court.

You've been the apologist for the dead kid, and have put words in the mouth of the guy who was in fear and came out fighting a threat.

Are you going to ruffle the hair of a similar miscreant in your neighborhood, claim you weren't scared and suggest a game of Yahtzee?

But generally, no. I don't believe in shooting at someone preemptively. I'm an old infantryman: I believe in cover and concealment, then rapid assessment, then action if needed. That's just how I roll; clearly we differ on that, but it worked for me once on a two-way shooting range. So I'll go with that experience, thanks, rather than NES posters' ad hominem suggestions. [/quote]

Let's not pre-emptive. Let's just wait until someone has raped a loved one or pistol whipped us......just to be sure. Preemptive behaviour is obviously a heinous act that should involve huge jail time so that the criminal classes see that justice works [/quote]
Shooting at someone is something I've done, and though I sleep just fine at night, it's not an experience I particularly want to repeat.

YMMV. Good night; I really do have better things to do.

Very few people do not want to go down that road. but some people have to. It comes with their territory.

Good night, and enjoy your better things. God forbid someone comes a knocking to try to take them away.

Well with the new information, I would say why this happened makes a bit more sense. Wife wakes him up from a dead sleep to tell him their are 3 people trying to break into the house. He tells them to leave and they precede to break his glass door.

Unless you adjust it, this type of thinking may create huge issue for you.

I don't think my kind of thinking would be a big issue, unless you subscribe to a doctrine that deprives The People of the right to defend their property and life to preserve liberty of their own family members.

While I have breath in my body, I will keep on protecting my family from those who violate my personal space in a way that threatens my family.

Well with the new information, I would say why this happened makes a bit more sense. Wife wakes him up from a dead sleep to tell him their are 3 people trying to break into the house. He tells them to leave and they precede to break his glass door.

As ridiculous as the Mass laws are, why not wait 10 seconds for the perpetrator to enter your home before firing? Anything less is simply not doing your homework.

I don't have any moral qualms about this kid getting blown away (sorry if that rustles peoples jimmies, but if you're running around drunk at 15 breaking into peoples shit, I don't care what happens to you) but the guy is an idiot for not protecting his own rights by not trying to identify the BG before shooting.

-Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: AHM
YOU sure are part of the problem !

He isn't, really, you guys are just smashing balls over semantics. One side is arguing legal issues the other isn't. Knowing what the law is going to say about your actions isn't a bad thing, even if you have other ideas... at least you will be prepared up front and can (potentially) make decisions on the fly that might
save you a lot of grief down the road.

-Mike

You too?

Feel free to shoot some perp through a door. Then report back on how that worked out for you.

This is wearing me out, guys. I'm off to put the kids to bed.

I've stayed out of this discussion until now as I've seen it before. FWIW, you are 100% correct, the shooter is a reckless coward and I'd vote to convict him of whatever the DA charges him with.

I don't think my kind of thinking would be a big issue, unless you subscribe to a doctrine that deprives The People of the right to defend their property and life to preserve liberty of their own family members.

While I have breath in my body, I will keep on protecting my family from those who violate my personal space in a way that threatens my family.

Be smart about it.

From today's Globe:

Under state law, killing someone who is “unlawfully in a dwelling” may be justified if the occupant acted “in the reasonable belief” that the person was about to “inflict great bodily injury or death.” Velazquez said a grand jury will decide if Lovell will be charged with murder or a lesser offense.

“We try to charge people with the information that we have at the time and ultimately that decision will be a decision that the grand jury will make,” he said.

I've stayed out of this discussion until now as I've seen it before. FWIW, you are 100% correct, the shooter is a reckless coward and I'd vote to convict him of whatever the DA charges him with.

Reckless coward for shooting a person trying to break into their home? JFC..

You've been the apologist for the dead kid, and have put words in the mouth of the guy who was in fear and came out fighting a threat.

Are you going to ruffle the hair of a similar miscreant in your neighborhood, claim you weren't scared and suggest a game of Yahtzee?

But generally, no. I don't believe in shooting at someone preemptively. I'm an old infantryman: I believe in cover and concealment, then rapid assessment, then action if needed. That's just how I roll; clearly we differ on that, but it worked for me once on a two-way shooting range. So I'll go with that experience, thanks, rather than NES posters' ad hominem suggestions.

Let's not pre-emptive. Let's just wait until someone has raped a loved one or pistol whipped us......just to be sure. Preemptive behaviour is obviously a heinous act that should involve huge jail time so that the criminal classes see that justice works [/quote]

Very few people do not want to go down that road. but some people have to. It comes with their territory.

Good night, and enjoy your better things. God forbid someone comes a knocking to try to take them away.[/QUOTE]

Listen I agree with your stance on the situation play stupid games win stupid prizes I believe is a favorite saying around these parts. And yeah you have much more experience than I do in combat. And your tactics work just fine in 44ish other states. But....but
not here man here that is a felony all day everyday. Albeit a stupid one because no good can really come out of the situation described for waiting. But he had time to shoot through a door in this states mind he had time to call the cops. I know you don't agree personally I don't either. But it is what it is here

What an idiot! The 15 yr old was doing things we all have probably done at that age, he didn't have to kill him. Now he has not only ruined the boy's and his family's life but his own.
I don't remember doing home invasions at that age.

"Lovell said he was woken by his wife, who said two people were banging on the door and were trying to break into their house.

"The three teens had been drinking earlier and headed over to another friend's house, but were confused"

Lovell said he then walked into the kitchen and looked out the window to see a teenager walking from his back yard toward the side door, which is located under the carport. "
""Mr. Lovell told this party to 'get the f--k out' and 'stay the f--k out.' As the ... party continued to bang on the door Mr. Lovell stated that the window broke at which time Mr. Lovell raised his loaded S & W (Smith & Wesson) firearm and shot one round through the glass of the door," the police report states."

Sooo, so drunk punks start banging on the door in the middle of the night, go to a SECOND door and proceed to break the window.... don't all good friends that mistake the house for a friends house break the window while knocking on the door???? Oh, and to all the thug apologists, he did NOT blindly shoot thru a closed door, their were windows in the door and he aimed center mass. Darwin Award for the punk.[grin]

Hopefully he gets a great attorney. he was put in a very crappy situation .
Can see the kids record now that he is dead?

Reckless coward for shooting a person trying to break into their home? JFC..

Yup, reckless coward and I hope he gets a long jail sentence to reflect on his cowardice.

Someone is banging on your door. Do you:
(A) Ask them who they are and what do they want.
(B) Yell incoherently "**** off or I'll shoot you" a couple of times and then bust a cap in their ass through the closed door.

Last edited:
Jkelly1229, Your reply is confused because Johnny English screwed up the quote function in post 151.

Just trying to keep this slightly accurate. This thread is muddy enough without leaving people thinking folks said stuff they didn't say. FTR, I (not him) am the old infantryman, and he (not I) apparently thinks it's fine to shoot people who "violate his personal space." I don't believe in preemptively shooting through doors; he does.

And this thread is no longer helpful, anyway. Nobody's changing any minds. Let the grand jury figure it out.

Last edited:
And this his thread is no longer helpful, anyway. Nobody's changing any minds. Let the grand jury figure it out.

Yup. If he is charged, I'll take that as a win for the cooler heads around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom