Chickens 2023/2024

Would any of y’all be interested in a bantam rooster?
They will still scream an alarm and protect the hens but they’re tiny (1/4 size)
They like the full size lady but because they’re small they don’t beat the hens up when they breed em.
They do crow but it’s not loud because of they’re size.
They were all hatched last year.
I’ve got 5 or 6 looking for a new flock.
Pick up at my farm in the Brookfield’s
17F2B113-55C4-49DA-A023-2F93CD4433FC.jpeg B2D839C0-C250-40A3-A054-B2688FA954AC.jpeg 1241855B-C7B2-40FF-87F4-EEE1926990C8.jpeg

Would any of y’all be interested in a bantam rooster?
They will still scream an alarm and protect the hens but they’re tiny (1/4 size)
They like the full size lady but because they’re small they don’t beat the hens up when they breed em.
They do crow but it’s not loud because of they’re size.
They were all hatched last year.
I’ve got 5 or 6 looking for a new flock.
Pick up at my farm in the Brookfield’s
View attachment 752523View attachment 752524View attachment 752525
beautiful plumage. I wish I was further along in my chicken adventure, I’d love to take one but I’m not ready to bring a Chanticleer into my flock yet.

Let my chickens out for an hour to free range and heard a racket going on so came back to find this guy inside my chicken run. He got really nervous when I got close and started going full bore into the chicken wire. After 5 minutes of doing that he was much more sedate and walked out the door looking dizzy....🤣

Screenshot_20230523_193657_Message+.jpg

Saw we left the light on in the shed tonight. Went out to shut it off and found this little lady hanging out. They were buck bucking around the house this afternoon and we were in and out of the shed.

why is the only soil, dirt, wear/tear or blemish the one the chicken left behind?

those wheels look like you never rode anything in there.... not that it's bad, but how do you keep your toys so clean ?

1685496759160.png

why is the only soil, dirt, wear/tear or blemish the one the chicken left behind?

those wheels look like you never rode anything in there.... not that it's bad, but how do you keep your toys so clean ?

View attachment 758184
Now that you point it out, I can see what you mean. For some reason that photo makes it look nicer than it is. At least for everything but the Kawasaki. That was brand new last June and only has a couple of hours on it.

Weve had chickens now for over 10 years. We've hatched-out and raised a number of generations.

During that time, we've had a large variety of chicken breeds (some pics are posted below). The australorps are some of the smartest. My wife (CowgirlUp here on NES, knows each and everyone real well).

For those considering chickens, here's some input:

- You need to build your coop and enclosed run with hardware cloth mesh and NOT chicken wire.

- You need to create a solid barrier along the coop and run so that NOTHING can dig underneath. Our hardware cloth continues down about a foot below the grade and it's got large rocks over & under it, so nothing can dig through as would be the case if there were dirt there. We have 1 layer of hardware cloth + an additional layer of stronger type hardware cloth along the entire lower perimeter (so 2 layers).

- You should have a roof over your run to keep them dry and also keep the snow out.

- You should have a way to close over the run during brutally cold weather. We have winter panels (heavy plastic poly in wood frames, and some have plexiglass so they can see out. Some have hinges so we can flip them up when the winter Temps are not that bad). That also allows some necessary ventilation.

- You should have a means to keep their water dish from freezing during winter months. We've found that using a plastic chicken watering container over a safe coop heating element works best. They don't like the galvanized water containers because of some taste issue from the metal surface.

- You should have 2 areas of the coop and the run that can be separated for integrating new hens. That way they can see each other but stay separated. We have a slide up door panel that can open and connect the 2 areas once full integration is established.

- You should have the ability to place sick or injured hens isolated & away from the flock. We have several old rabbit hutches in our basement as an infirmary area with plenty of meds and a counter to examine them.
Hens will hide their injuries and sickness from the flock, so you have to watch for the slightest changes of behavior and very minor indications of any kind (that something is "off" with them). Letting even 1 day go by and not taking action can mean the difference between successfully heading-off a condition, or, the hen's health going down-hill and her suffering and dying.
The wife has a couple of plastic, self-made, chicken first-aid boxes with anything from gloves, bandages, wound cleaner, gauze, to common types chicken meds that you should keep on-hand.
If you leave a sick or injured hen with the flock, they will likely eventually attack and kill her.
(If they see a blood spot on another chicken, a common chicken-reaction is to pick at it constantly, until that hen dies).

- You should monitor them constantly if you allow them to free range. We've had attacks regularly from hawks. Also coyote, bobcats, and rabid racoons.

- Be ready to "react immediately" to stop threats from varmint attacks quickly. You may only have seconds from hearing a commotion and grabbing a firearm and making it to the yard. Seconds are the difference from losing a hen and successfully stopping an attack.
We live in the sticks. So we have perimeter motion sensor alarms, cameras and other ways to try to reduce our reaction times when the hens are out free ranging.
A rooster is also very helpful for sounding the alarm early.

- Avoid having more than one rooster with most flocks that are a from few hens -to- 20 hens. They will constantly fight each other and eventually one will kill the other. During that time, the entire flock was always completely stressed-out.
(We once had 3 roosters that we had as chicks. They got along because they grew-up with each other, they knew the biggest was in charge, and they also knew their place because of that. We've also had 3 roosters that we raised that started non-stop fighting at a certain adolescent point, and we had to separate and re-home 2 of them = so you never know .... ).

- Learn everything you can about raising chickens, including common sicknesses and diseases, and behavior aspects.
Examples: They like to take dirt baths. Its good to look it up and understand what that is, and the benefits to them. Also common rooster behavior between the hens (example: look up the rooster "domination dance").

- Chickens are "self aware". They know what death is and they know when one of them is visibly dead (such as when they can see a death happen/occur, or, the see the aftermath of a dead hen).

- They have exceptional eye sight and hearing. But don't assume that will be able to always protect them from various predators.

- Chickens are not humans. So don't try to interpret or assign certain chicken behavior as you would a person (and get frustrated or angry). You need to be patient and realize that they react to many things and to each other = simply due to their natural, ingrained, instinctive, ways.
One Example: They have a "pecking-order" and they establish & maintain it in some ways that can seem a bit harsh.

- Check out the website and forum "Backyard Chickens" for an exceptional amount of very good information.

(There's a lot more that can be said, but those are some initial key points for "your consideration").

Also check out the 2 helpful videos below:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rDArRNSDBE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c06xOF4uQ8

FWIW, here is a pic of our coop (with the "separation section" addition constructed): It has elec. power, lighting, wireless cameras, insulation, etc.
View attachment 719621
Example of "Winter/Cold-Weather" Coop/Run Panels (older pics before the left side addition was put on):
View attachment 719631

View attachment 719622View attachment 719624View attachment 719625View attachment 719626

This is a great spot on post!
We learned all this the hard way.

We have had 0 chick, ducklings, or goslings hatch this year so far. Usually they they are very successful on their own. Anyone else notice a decrease in fertility? They certainly are trying.
Wasn’t there a rumor about that as a side effect of feeding some major brand name food ?

I think it's the weather. We haven't had good luck either. Had one hatch but a predator got it. Have three broody hens sitting on eggs at the moment but it's pretty cold and wet out. I think it's stunting the development. I might incubate some if none hatch before July 1.

I think it's the weather. We haven't had good luck either. Had one hatch but a predator got it. Have three broody hens sitting on eggs at the moment but it's pretty cold and wet out. I think it's stunting the development. I might incubate some if none hatch before July 1.
I bet that you are right. I remember our geese laying eggs in February, which is about a month and a half early. We have broody chickens and ducks right now as well. We also had a goose sitting on a half dozen goose eggs. They went rotten, and most of them had embryos in them. Usually the chickens can always make something happen.

It took a while to get this going due to the dry and cool weather. But now that it is warming up, it is starting to take off

I have them separated by beetle, pupa, and larva. I started with 1500 meal worms. Fed some to the kids dragon and some to the chickens. I wanted to let the majority that survived to evolve into beetles for the next generation. I probably have 400 beetles and 100 pupa and 200 worms at this time. Of course this is all a guess. But if each beetle can lay 400 eggs, I’ll be all set. I have two of these set ups going. And please excuse the floor. I ripped out the rug and I am waiting to my 13 year old German shepherd to move on to better pastures before I instal the new hardwood flooring

Attachments

• 61D43D22-16BE-4D86-A73F-88BC425B5BCF.png
    61D43D22-16BE-4D86-A73F-88BC425B5BCF.png
    569.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 804A91F0-8C89-4FE0-83DF-BC331CCDAB13.jpeg
    804A91F0-8C89-4FE0-83DF-BC331CCDAB13.jpeg
    898.2 KB · Views: 17
  • F6802E6C-4B7B-4868-8D8F-DE20A4F9AACB.png
    F6802E6C-4B7B-4868-8D8F-DE20A4F9AACB.png
    515.3 KB · Views: 17
It took a while to get this going due to the dry and cool weather. But now that it is warming up, it is starting to take off

I have them separated by beetle, pupa, and larva. I started with 1500 meal worms. Fed some to the kids dragon and some to the chickens. I wanted to let the majority that survived to evolve into beetles for the next generation. I probably have 400 beetles and 100 pupa and 200 worms at this time. Of course this is all a guess. But if each beetle can lay 400 eggs, I’ll be all set. I have two of these set ups going. And please excuse the floor. I ripped out the rug and I am waiting to my 13 year old German shepherd to move on to better pastures before I instal the new hardwood flooring

My wife has that exact system going on. I suggest that you paint the outside of the drawers black to block the light. The bugs will be much happier.
My wife's name is Kendra. Whenever I see her pull a drawer open, I never miss an opportunity to say
" All Hail Kay".
Sometimes she will let one of her favorite hens in and put a drawe on the floor for her and let her have at it. Talk about a happy hen!
The colony is thriving so well that the bird couldn't ever disrupt the life cycle.

i got 3 pullets (8-10 weeks old) at the end of april. the easter egger i got laid her first egg this morning. it's about 2/3 size of a normal egg. wondering if she might be a bantam? this seems early for my pullets to be laying, i expected it to happen closer to labor day. do bantams mature quicker? just a surprise egg maybe?

i got 3 pullets (8-10 weeks old) at the end of april. the easter egger i got laid her first egg this morning. it's about 2/3 size of a normal egg. wondering if she might be a bantam? this seems early for my pullets to be laying, i expected it to happen closer to labor day. do bantams mature quicker? just a surprise egg maybe?
When my new chickens first start laying, the eggs are smaller.

Within a few weeks the eggs get to be normal size and the chickens will even drop a few big ones with double yolks.

Last edited:
When my new chickens first start laying, the eggs are smaller.

Within a few weeks the eggs get to be normal size and the chickens will even drop a few big ones with double yolks.
My older girls have given me a few double yolks. Those are awesome over easy on toast.

Back
Top Bottom