interested in learning about raising chickens?

[QUOTE We didn't add lights to keep them laying. It was a short break and we don't want to wear them out.
So you know, the wrong light cycle can induce them to molt (drop some of their feathers), not a good thing in the winter.[/QUOTE]

I figured they would just do whatever was natural with the seasons.

I had 2 that went through a little molt but they started in November when they were all still laying like champs. Felt sorry for one of them but she really didn't seem to care. Almost all the feathers are back in now and they have a cozy coop. If it's too cold out when we open the door they will just look out and then it's like "Nope, we're stayin in" they won't come out if the weather is bad.

Um, basic question, can chickens survive in an unheated hen house given this cold snap we are in?

Ours is also unheated. I did cover the vents directly over the roost beams to keep them out of a draft. Plus a good layer of straw and wood shavings on the floor. We built a really sturdy coop with no gaps on the sides and foam board insulation on the 2 coldest walls

Um, basic question, can chickens survive in an unheated hen house given this cold snap we are in?

our coop has a CFL in there for light, and it has a heater for the water, but that's it. Walls and ceiling are insulated, except for the ridge vent. The coop door out to the run is on a light sensor. It opens around an hour after sunup, and closes at dusk. As dumb as they are, they have foigured out when it's time to be in the coop for the night. In winter we add an extra thick layer of shavings on the floor, but most of them go up onto 1 of the roosts for the night and fluff their feathers out.

There are 'cold weather birds'. We have barred rocks, NH Reds, 1 Leghorn and 6 aracuanas as the second flock. Only the aracuanas are laying right now, but they will start back up come spring

Cold won't bother the chickens much because they trap and warm air under their feathers (which is why you see them ruffle every once in a while). The only thing that really bothers them is the cold wind so a coop that seals from that is ideal.

I'd recommend Rhode Island Reds as a good layer (many more breeds like them of course that will achieve the same thing). They are smaller chickens that eat little but produce some of the best eggs. Stay away from dual purpose unless you really want to slaughter them otherwise it's a lot of wasted food.

quick bump.....attended one of the practicum sessions this morning, lil one had a blast. awesome way to spend a couple hours learning exactly what is involved in caring for a flock. i highly recommend it to anyone remotely interested.

Back
Top Bottom