Anybody in the south shore raise chickens?

I got 6 from tractor supply last year and they were great. Right as they started to lay a fisher (I think) broke into the coop and killed all of them. Going to fortify the coop this year and was hoping to get a dozen or so. I'd like to get a jump on it this year so if anyone is interested in getting some please pm me. I was going to order from this place http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/standard_breed_chicks.html and the minimum order is 25.

We got 5 hens and a roo in September. We dug a trench about a foot deep and maybe i.5 feet wide. Filled it with big rocks and laid a section of fence over that and covered it with dirt. It is attached to the coop so nothing could tunnel under the coop and get to them.

Just a suggestion. Hope all goes well with the new birds. You are going to have a ton of eggs with that many hens!

We usually have 8-10 hens.
Gave the roosters away (to go in the pot)
Unfortunately all but 2 were killed by some critters (fox, weasel, fisher?)
The remaining 2 went to live at my friends backyard horse farm as pets
He has about 6, living in an old rabbit hutch, free range most days.
They stopped laying (for me), but he gets eggs occasionally.
I will get more in the spring, but usually at Hanson Grain

I find that with 6-8 hens, a $15 bag of food lasts 2 weeks.
I get 3-4 eggs a day (no rooster); enough for my family of 4 and some extra.
When we had 12 hens, we spent more $, and gave a lot of eggs away

Don't bother ordering and paying shipping. Family Pet and Garden in Pembroke sells them starting march 15th or so for the same costs. You only have to buy 6, state law.

My coop is an old shed. Haven't measured it but I'd guess its 6' x 10'. I built a small fenced area around the coop which they hung out in when nobody was outside. Whenever possible we let them run around the backyard which is fenced in.

My chicks live in a converted shed with an automatic door that leads into a large dog pen that is fully enclosed. They have enough room to peck around out there and when we are outside they roam around the yard. If we let them out unattended they would be gone in a matter of days. There are too many halwks, owls, and fishers. A fisher reached into my neighbors duck pen and grabbed one of the ducks. If you use chain link make sure you cover it in chicken wire.

My chicken tractor for 6 hens. I also have a extended "yard" i put along side to give them more room during the day. I staple clear plastic around the mesh sides for the winter.

Last edited:
I got 22 hens and 2 roosters last spring. They free range all day and come back to the coop on their own at night. I shut the coop door between 6pm and 11pm every night. I live in the woods with 6 acres of wooded land and the neighbors have similar plots. I have only lost 3 so far, 1 as a baby when we forgot to lock them up on their first night out and two that must have froze because they wouldn't sleep in the coop. I have 3 dogs and that is the only reason I can think of why I haven't lost more. Or maybe it is the roosters? I have read that they are good protection against smaller predators. All I know is there are lots of predators around me and I have been lucky so far.

OP if you want to raise you own from fertilized eggs I can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got 22 hens and 2 roosters last spring. They free range all day and come back to the coop on their own at night. I shut the coop door between 6pm and 11pm every night. I live in the woods with 6 acres of wooded land and the neighbors have similar plots. I have only lost 3 so far, 1 as a baby when we forgot to lock them up on their first night out and two that must have froze because they wouldn't sleep in the coop. I have 3 dogs and that is the only reason I can think of why I haven't lost more. Or maybe it is the roosters? I have read that they are good protection against smaller predators. All I know is there are lots of predators around me and I have been lucky so far.

OP if you want to raise you own from fertilized eggs I can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the offer but I already placed an order.

Back
Top Bottom